Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images

Roanoke River, NC

Curious if anyone on here has floated and camped on the Roanoke River. They have a series of elevated camping platforms placed along the route in the river / swamp portion of the paddling trail.

Here is a link to what info I have found: http://www.roanokeriverpartners.org/

Are the platforms built so that hammocks can be used? If so are there any restrictions on hammocking?

Best time of year? What would be a good route for novice paddlers that would have good scenery, good platforms for hammocking and maybe some fishing thrown in during the evening?

MacEntyre - I saw you are from Jamestown so the Roanoke is in your backyard. My guess is you will have some good info...

I don't have a trip planned but have been thinking about a trip there for a while. Any help and / or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    MacEntyre - I saw you are from Jamestown so the Roanoke is in your backyard.
    I'm from Jamestown, NC, which was settled in 1752 by folks from Jamestown, VA. We are between Greensboro and High Point.

I have heard about those platforms, which are a most unusual public economic development project. Someone here has paddled that area, but I have forgotten who it is... perhaps Tina Louise will know.

Sorry!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    Woah, that looks very cool. I hope this turns into a group paddle/hang.
    I would be interested.

-Ricegravy!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S-4Door
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Jamesville is the town you might be thinking about, GvilleDave.

I've not camped along the river, but I have fished up there several times - mostly in late Spring (early May). Had excellent luck with largemouth bass. I would imagine the fishery to be very good most of the year.

As far as a good time to go, I would venture a guess that the preferred times would be from October/November (after a frost or two) through March. This would be the "down time" for the flying, creeping, crawling and slithering critters you are bound to encounter in that riverine/swamp enviromnent.

I base that on the fact that I like to hike on the Neusiok Trail (22 miles or so through the Croatan National Forest, near New Bern, Havelock, and Newport in Eastern NC). While not as swampy, it is very wet in places thanks to a large area of pocosin - Indian name for "Swamp on a hill." I typically go in late January to early February. No mosquitos, no ticks, no snakes (except for that one time...) and no bears. The Neusiok Trail is great for an overnight trip, especially from late Fall through early Spring.

Hope this helps with your planning.
    Scooter

In theory, there's no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    The Neusiok Trail...
    ...one of my favorite corners of the Croatan Forest is along Hancock Creek where the trail meets the Neuse. Alternating ridges and swamps, with high bluffs overlooking the Neuse River. Strange, prehistoric looking land.

Here's a picture of a point where a marsh, between two ridges, meets the river. The cypress trees grow right out into the river there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 05-21-2010 at 16:21.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    It was Jamesville that I was thinking... Sorry for the confusion MacEntyre.

Hopefully we'll get someone thats camped there that can give the low-down on hammock hanging on the platforms.

Ricegravy - I am definately interested in a group trip so as this develops and we start to get more info we'll star planning. With bugs etc... I am thinking late fall, maybe November...

Hammock
    ENO Double (only one I have)
    Tarp
    Speer WT
    Insulation
    Snugfit

Roanoke River

Havent been on this site for a while, these camping platforms are maybe 10-10 with some post that you could hang from. I would only do it during the dead winter time, the bugs are terrible. I know this area very well, if I can assist let me know
    formally known as Noshootin

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    Curious if anyone on here has floated and camped on the Roanoke River. They have a series of elevated camping platforms placed along the route in the river / swamp portion of the paddling trail.

Best time of year?
    I don't have a trip planned but have been thinking about a trip there for a while. Any help and / or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Nope, haven't done Roanoke River. Looks interesting though. I'm not sure about being able to pitch a hammock on those platforms???

On a side note... ClumseyBear and I just did a paddle on the Lumber River. We parked at the Lumber River State Park and paddled "upstream". (not gonna do that again ) and then turned around and paddled back to a little island we'd passed. Set up our hammocks and cooked our dinner while watching the river pass by. We did figure out that if we'd had someone to shuttle us (or another vehical!) that we could have put in where hwy 74 goes over the Lumber River and paddled to the little island. Then either paddle to the State Park or continue on to Fair Bluff. The part of the river we did is VERY winding, with lots of bends and fast moving water. Did I mention we would not be paddling upstream again?? There were bends that did their best to drive us into the trees and bank. Plenty of places to pull over and stop. No places for tents though, just hammocks. To many cypress knobs sticking up. The little island we found has a sand bank on the back side that's perfect for canoes and kayaks to land. Paddling from where hwy 74 crosses the river to Fair Bluff would make a great weekend trip. If you're interested in doing this, post back or maybe start a new post on Lumber river. Conditions last weekend were HOT!! and a late afternoon storm. Bugs didn't bother us. No skeeters. But it was extreamly HOT. Water was nice to cool off in when we stopped at the little island. Ranger at the State park said that later during the year, that the water levels will rise. So little island might be even smaller!!

Hammock
    ENO Double (only one I have)
    Tarp
    Speer WT
    Insulation
    Snugfit

lumber River

I have a Wilderness Systems Pamlico, would be interested in a Kayak/hang trip when the weather breaks
    formally known as Noshootin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    I have only camped on Holladay Island (kayaked from Gatesville to Holladay, about 14 miles).

Holladay Island has three platforms for group camping plus a solo platform on the north end of the island. The group platform (where I camped) could be used for hanging.

IMHO, the best time to go is between late September to early May (due to skeeters, etc.).

How about a hang in mid-October, 2010?? Anybody interested?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast