WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    Since I am in the market for a new sleeping bag anyway and still own a thermarest pad from my tent days I was wondering if this might be a good consideration to use during some cooler nights if it came to it.
    Still kind of thinking out loud.
    I've used a Thermarest in my hammock most often, and it does work well. The downside is that the pad and bag slide around separately- I've almost lost the pad over the side of the hammock. Still, after a little bit of learning curve the combo works down to cold temps.

I've got a friend who uses his Big Agnes bag & pad (not sure which model, but the bag has the integrated pad sleeve) in his ENO Doublenest and loves the combination.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Winter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    The only problem I had with my BA was when I tried to sit up the next morning. That takes some getting used to.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

quilt?

In the process of looking for a new Sleeping bag and came across the Big Agnes. The feature that seems interesting to me was it had a "sleave" on the backend of the sleeping bag that you could put your theremarest Pad into to keep it from sliding around.

I was wondering how this might work with a hammock. Anyone have any experience with this?
    I think the point is to keep YOU from sliding around on the pad since on the ground (its intended use) the pad would normally not slide. In a hammock, a pad is going to slide, that's just how it is. When you have to make adjustments, you'll just have to make them with the entire setup, bag and pad together which may or may not be easier or more efficient.

I would think a top quilt would work better as it seems to me that the pad would be easier to manage by itself. Some top quilts come with pad straps to keep it in place, but I found it I didn't like them.

Images
    I use a golite 1/4 wide pad in the pad sleeve of my claytor. That is my "base layer" setup.

On anything other than a warm night I incorporate a BA system. A Lost Dog with not additional pads for cooler nights. A bit cooler and I add a walmart CFC to the lost dog sleeve. A bit colder and I switch to my BA Yampa bag. A bit colder and I switch out the walmart CFC for a BA insulated pad. A bit colder and I add back the Lost Dog in combination with the Yampa.

Images
    I've got a BA pad and sleeping bag, a rectangular one, and I find that I'm colder in it than in a mummy bag. there's just too much air to warm up down around my feet. I got the bag as a warmweather solution, so it's usually not an issue.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    In the process of looking for a new Sleeping bag and came across the Big Agnes. The feature that seems interesting to me was it had a "sleave" on the backend of the sleeping bag that you could put your theremarest Pad into to keep it from sliding around.

I was wondering how this might work with a hammock. Anyone have any experience with this?
    They're great if you sleep "strictly" on your back and "straight” as a board. But, if you like to contort, bend your legs at the knees, sleep on your side and etc., then it’s not so good.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Curious as to why you'd be interested in a bag with a sleeve for a sleeping pad when the Deep Jungle is a double layer hammock.
    Before we switched to UQs, MrsMustardman used the big agnes system. Her experience with it was that it's a lot easier to get the pad situated in the hammock when it's inside the pad sleeve in the sleeping bag than it was when it was in the hammock's double layers. When the pad is between the double layers, it can still slide up to the side and come out from underneath you, whereas when it's inside the bag it's really easy to keep it under you.

She did really like the Big Agnes bag combined with an Exped Downmat 7. That combo took her down to around 15F and she was toasty warm as a very cold sleeper. However, it was a very bulky and heavy system - the BA bag is pretty huge since it is wide enough to completely cover the pad, and weighs more than many bags that actually have insulation in the bottom.

It's definitely a workable system, and pretty versatile if you want the option to use it for going to ground, but MrsMustardman ended up moving on and getting rid of the BA bag to put the money towards a warmer, lighter, more compact Mont Bell sleeping bag.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    They're great if you sleep "strictly" on your back and "straight” as a board. But, if you like to contort, bend your legs at the knees, sleep on your side and etc., then it’s not so good.
    I guess it depends on how large a person you are One of the things MrsMustardman loved about the system was that the bag was so huge that she could move around inside of it and get into a variety of positions. She's a tiny person though

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    factory
    Insulation
    Still researching
    Suspension
    factory
    Thanks for all the responses,

that is a lot to think about.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    I sleep on my side and the BA system workd fine for me

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast