Images

IX with InsulTubes on a WBBB: getting better

So the other night it was supposed to be low 50s, and I wanted to test my MMP IX SS style UQ with the IsulTubes that have been added. And I felt a need to use my dbl layer 1.7 BB instead of the HH with separate net, though it has been plenty comfortable. For one thing, I wanted to have the convenience of the shelf to put my I-Phone(alarm clock) in.

Even though it was not designed for it, I attached the suspension to the WB end knots and settled in with a 40* bag as top quilt. I was just wearing cotton T-shirt and PJs, unlike my previous tests when I wore mostly un-compressible fleece, wanting to help the IX out.

So this worked out much better than my previous attempts. I went to bed at 2300 or so and 57*f and I woke up to P at 0400, and 52*F. I wouldn't call it toasty, but I had not been aware of being cold or uncomfortable, and was at least "good enough". I don't know if I can take 1 layer(plus IXTubes) even 5* lower or not. And I still don't know how much extra I can actually get out of the 2nd layer. But if I can do 52 single layer in just a t-shirt, at ~4 oz FULL LENGTH, good enough! I mean, what is 4 oz or so?

The improvement might have been the InsulTubes mostly or totally. Or, I might have just lucked out on the amount of tension being provided on the WB by the UQ suspension, or the dbl layer hammock might have helped. Anyway, much better even if others are still doing even better.

At 0400, for fun, I added the 2nd layer on top of the IXTubes and 1st layer, with mixed results. Sometimes during the next 2 1/2 hours I thought it was noticeably warmer, sometimes I thought there wasn't much difference.

Though I was pleased with these results, I still feel I am not yet reaching the potential of this stuff. And, there were some obvious fit problems on the foot end. To be expected as the UQ is an HH SS specific design. If I am going to use this SS on a BB, I will have to rig up some extra shock cord on the foot end, to keep the UQ foot where it needs to be. Oh, I also more than once caught the BB zipper on the IX UQ edge near the shoulder! a minor irritant!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The IX UQ that is designed for the Blackbird is huge compared to the IX UQ for the HH!

How did you got it to stay on the foot box?

I'm wondering if you just need a larger IX UQ.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle/ WBBB
    Tarp
    3x4 rain fly
    Insulation
    Segmented pad/bag
    Suspension
    whoopi slings
    Images
    I made mine for my Claytor JH and it fits perfect on the WBBB. I will be going to the woods Sun-Wed and will give a full report thursday. Made the UQ 7' long and 60" wide with gathered ends.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    The IX UQ that is designed for the Blackbird is huge compared to the IX UQ for the HH!

How did you got it to stay on the foot box?

I'm wondering if you just need a larger IX UQ.

- MacEntyre
    It didn't stay on the foot box very well at all. I really could not even tell what was going on down near the foot box, as I had the net in use and could not reach over to grab the UQ or even see over the BB "wall". But, I could tell that it was not "right" on the foot end. Which is why if I decide to keep using this on the BB, I'll have to rig something up, if it can even be done. But this is the only time I tried it on the BB, normally I use it on the HH Explorer as designed. But still, I did not have cold feet or legs. I was probably helped by my feet being in the zippered foot compartment of a synthetic bag.

PS: I'm sure I do need a larger UQ if I'm going to use it regularly on the BB. But seems to fit perfect on the HH.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ...if I decide to keep using this on the BB, I'll have to rig something up, if it can even be done.
    It cannot be done.

There is an IX UQ designed for the WBBB. It is the Large Symmetrical IX UQ with a foot end the same size and shape as the head end. It looks like it is twice as large as the Asym IX UQ, but it is not quite that much larger.

...seems to fit perfect on the HH.
    Why, yes, it does!

[back to the sweat shop, making more IX UQs]

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    It cannot be done.

There is an IX UQ designed for the WBBB. It is the Large Symmetrical IX UQ with a foot end the same size and shape as the head end. It looks like it is twice as large as the Asym IX UQ, but it is not quite that much larger..............
    - MacEntyre
    OK, went out and hooked her back up. This time, I left the net off to the side so I could reach around and grab the quilt as with my no net HH. I took a piece of shock cord from the shelf tie out ( it was handy ) and ran it through the quilt right foot grosgrain loop and up to the hammock RL. Now the foot stayed in place just fine. Of course, it was not big enough to even come close to covering the hammock foot box. But, it still covered my feet while also still covering my left shoulder. But sense the temps were approaching 80, I couldn't stand it long.

Also, I could see through the hammock fabric in order to see that my feet were covered by the UQ. Probably couldn't do this in the dark. But I think I can still get er done by feel, especially if not using the net.

However, you obviously wouldn't want to fool with any of this unless this is all you had on hand. Still, even with this mismatch it kept me warm enough at my lowest single layer IX temp, by far. I suppose the model made for the BB would also work just fine for the HH?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-22-2010 at 13:59.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I suppose the model made for the BB would also work just fine for the HH?
    It might work. The key to IX warmth is a good fit. Not too tight, but sealed around the edges. You'd have a hard time sealing the edges of a BB IX UQ on a HH. Perhaps if you tied a line to the corners of the foot end and passed it over the ridgeline...

The Medium Symmetrical IX UQ (for any gathered end hammock) will work just fine on the HH.
    The Large Symmetrical IX UQ (for the Switchback) might work too, if you are a big guy.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts