Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    Fleece bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps

USGI Poncho QTR (Quick Tarp Rig)

Today I rigged up a new suspension with for my ENO Doublenest. We are expecting light rain tomorrow night so I figured I would work on an expedient tarp with my handy UGGI Poncho. Here is what I used-

50 feet of blaze orange parachute cord
    4 feet of heavy duty elastic
    4 tarp clips
    4 tent stakes

First I put up my tarp line and secured it. Next I put the poncho on the line like a diamond to place an eyelet in line on each side of the line. Then I secured one end with a modified hangman noose using the left over from the original line. Then using another three foot piece of paracord I did the same on the other end and pulled it taught.

I then cut (4) four foot piece of paracord and tied it to the top of my tents stakes an then made a figure 8 knot on the other end making a loop. Then I cut (4) one foot pieces of elastic and tied it through the tarp clips. After affixing the tarp clips to the poncho I joined the elastic and paracord on the tent stakes and drove them into the ground. Done.

I was amazed with how easy this was to do and how much the poncho stretched. I don't want to hit any trails with the poncho, but I learned a lot and now I am looking for a proper tarp.- George

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Nice stuff. Out of curiosity, why four stakes / clips rather than just clipping to the corners in the middle?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    Fleece bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I figured that along with the elastic the four points of contact plus the two ends would provide more stability.- George

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    I figured that along with the elastic the four points of contact plus the two ends would provide more stability.- George
    Fair enough. I have a buddy that spent most of his (Army) deployment in Germany sleeping in a hammock with a poncho rigged more or less like you have yours.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Nice QUICK set up George. Looks mighty fine.

HEY!!
    If you know someone to sew..we can get the material from SCLITTLEFIELD..CAMO...
    After the tarps are sewn We can dip the completed tarps in 1:3 Silicone:Mineral Spirits...or Gasoline.. I have a BIG bucket
    Dip the tarps for a while till totally soaked, setemup, dryem out, Produced silnylon tarps at a very reduced cost...
    You know a sewer?
    Tom

Hammock
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    Fleece bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I am trying to find someone. Just got four yards from http://www.rockywoods.com/ in MARPAT camo for $30 shipped for pre-treated stuff. The have some good stuff on that site- George

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Love the new acronym... you should suggest it for the HF Acronym List.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    When I started hammocking and was experimenting with a tight budget, and before I found hammockforums.net, I used some plastic like one would put down before painting. It didn't do very well at all and I woke up very sticky and clammy. I know now I was "doingitwrong" all over the place.

I then migrated to using a poncho just as you have it before I got my current Speer Winter Tarp. I found the poncho to be a little small for my hammock and I'm not sure how dry I would've been, had it rained on that trip. (My hammock is just to the right of the big blue tarp)

Now I have plenty of coverage for when I need it, and I can rig it so the doors are open if I want a little more view and it's not very weathery outside. Also, it is big enough that I can fit both mine and my fiance's hammocks under it. If I was going to solo all the time, I would probably get something with removable doors for when the weather was going to be nice.

I am pretty happy with my tarp, but I'm sure it won't be the last one I get. I don't really need another one, but options (and gear) are always nice to have!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    Fleece bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Very nice set up, I kind of went with the idea of what would be the best I could do with what I had on hand if I had to. I just ordered some material last night to put together a proper tarp. I am going to rock the poncho tonight since we are expecting rain. I took it off last night because it was clear.

To any other FNGs reading this- go out and play with your hammock, it is amazing how much you learn just by playing with your set up and then coming back here and looking for solutions.- George

Hammock
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    Fleece bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I was really wondering how it would hold up to some real rain. Last night I found out. It rained like it does in horror movies. Rough winds, thunder & lightening. Out of 100% I would say it was 95% dry. I slept out and it was awesome. Little wetness at the foot, but that was on me. Awesome- George

• + New Posts