GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    T-Back, don't sweat what others say.
    I'm 100% with Hooch on this. It was very liberating to me when I internalized the wisdom "What does it matter what others think of you?", not as a ticket to be a jacka** of course, but to be true to oneself, one's beliefs, one's ideals, one's goals, one's dreams. You're the one looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning. You're the one responsible for the way you act and live.

And we all learned it it kindergarten too, along with 95% of all other essential life skills : "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me".

That trail has your name all over it. Go get 'em! We're all behing you here at HF!
    I'll say. You guys that have come back from such injuries and illnesses to take on big challenges are an inspiration to those of us who've not had to face those kinds of hardships.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I'm 100% with Hooch on this. It was very liberating to me when I internalized the wisdom "What does it matter what others think of you?", not as a ticket to be a jacka** of course, but to be true to oneself, one's beliefs, one's ideals, one's goals, one's dreams. You're the one looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning. You're the one responsible for the way you act and live.

And we all learned it it kindergarten too, along with 95% of all other essential life skills : "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me".

I'll say. You guys that have come back from such injuries and illnesses to take on big challenges are an inspiration to those of us who've not had to face those kinds of hardships.

Grizz
    Inspirational words to an inspirational person. I hope you have the hike of your life T-Back!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Did it too, just wish I'd done it sooner

Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    Thanks everyone, for the encouraging words. I'm going, God willing and the swamp don't rise . It just amazes me how managers will let you continue to do the impossible with nothing until you burn out. Then they throw all these perks at you and when you say it's too little too late, they try and make you feel like you're the one screwing everybody over. Oh well, I've made up my mind and like you said, this will probably be the only chance I get to do this hike. They won't close the place down if I leave, the wheels will keep grinding along. I'll just have to put up with the attitudes but only for two weeks. Thanks again guys!
    Quite a few years ago I left a job that sounds similar to the one you're leaving/left. When I left, it turned out to be one of the most liberating and happiest moments of my life. I left to go to a lower paying, but much more satisfying job and never looked back from there. My life was so much better from that point on, and only continued to improve as time went by.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 09-09-2007 at 15:29.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Good luck Brian!!

I did a similar thing twenty five years ago and never regretted it.

It will all work out.

Tom

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal
    Although I'm sure this quote is familiar to many, I didn't find it on this site already. It should give you a touch of inspiration. The quote is by W. H. Murray, from the Scottish Himalayan Expedition:

"Until one is committed
    There is hesitancy, the chance to draw back,
    Always ineffectiveness.
    Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation),
    There is one elementary truth,
    The ignorance of which kills countless ideas
    And splendid plans:
    That the moment one definitely commits oneself,
    Then Providence moves too.
    All sorts of things occur to help one
    That would never otherwise have occurred.
    A whole stream of events issues from the decision
    Raising in one's favor all manner
    Of unforeseen incidents and meetings
    And material assistance,
    Which no man could have dreamt
    Would have come his way.
    I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    T-Back I wish you all best. It takes a lot of guts to do what you are doing.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Man, I need to keep you guys around to boost my self esteem when it gets low! Thanks, the kind words mean more than you know.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Theres not a day that goes by where i dont think of quitting my job and just going out there. Unfortunatley i've been taken hostage by the debt monster and cant get away too easily. I'm on a two year plan.

Red face

I have been bitten by the "thru-Hike" bug for 5 years now. I will have to wait until I retire, the thought of this scares me. I have a wife, two young children and average debt (house, car, etc...).

I can't kick the notion that section hiking isn't really doing the AT, this is in my head... I need to do all of it, start to finish, no extended breaks...

So here I am, watching my family grow, passing time and the AT is always in the back of my mind. I pray my health holds out so that I can hike it as an old man.

Moral of the story: If you have a means and a will, DO IT!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I gave a talk to a boyscout camp a few years ago about my thru'. One of the fathers asked me what kind of job did I have that I could take off for 6 months. i told him it was the same kind of job he has, the kind you can quit.

When I returned I was a new person and I found a job that I can tolerate within two weeks.
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-20-2008 at 20:29.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12