Thread: 2.4 oz IX UQ

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

2.4 oz IX UQ

Recently, I spoke with Running Feather about the specifications of Insultex. According to the manufacturer, it weighs 0.44 oz per yard. He asked me to weigh it, because his Insultex weighs more than that.

I have been making Jerry Chair inserts, which weigh 2.2 oz after they are cut, and 2.4 oz. after they are finished. It It occurred to me that you could use these inserts as standalone IX UQs. Even with two of them nested together, that's a super ultra light UQ at 4.8 oz! [That doesn't include the suspension.]

The Jerry Chair Inserts are 20 square feet. One linear yard from the 60" roll is 15 square feet. If you do the math, you come up with a weight of 1.65 oz for a piece of Insultex 36' x 60". That's a lot heavier than 0.44 oz per yard!

Running Feather thinks the manufacturer specifies the weight of Insultex without the scrim. That could be... turns out Insultex is heavier than 1.1 ripstop nylon!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Honestly, that's still pretty light and I don't see how anyone could tell the difference if you equipped 2 identical packs with the two different weights. There is a difference, but it is pretty negligible IMO.
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Recently, I spoke with Running Feather about the specifications of Insultex. According to the manufacturer, it weighs 0.44 oz per yard. He asked me to weigh it, because his Insultex weighs more than that.

I have been making Jerry Chair inserts, which weigh 2.2 oz after they are cut, and 2.4 oz. after they are finished. It It occurred to me that you could use these inserts as standalone IX UQs. Even with two of them nested together, that's a super ultra light UQ at 4.8 oz! [That doesn't include the suspension.]

The Jerry Chair Inserts are 20 square feet. One linear yard from the 60" roll is 15 square feet. If you do the math, you come up with a weight of 1.65 oz for a piece of Insultex 36' x 60". That's a lot heavier than 0.44 oz per yard!

Running Feather thinks the manufacturer specifies the weight of Insultex without the scrim. That could be... turns out Insultex is heavier than 1.1 ripstop nylon!

- MacEntyre
    thanks Mac for clearing that up......i got a few yards of IX not too long ago and have been playing around with it...and i also felt the weight was off
    seemed alittle heavy for .44oz
    but still very cool stuff to play with...there is alot you can do with it
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    Do the Jerry Chair inserts have loops or tie-outs on them? Do you have a pic of one?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Dodson View Post
    Do the Jerry Chair inserts have loops or tie-outs on them? Do you have a pic of one?
    Sorry, no pics yet. They have loops in the corners. They are bare Insultex, darted, hemmed, shaped just like the Jerry Chair. You just nest them inside when you need them.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hmmmmm - just curious, so ......

Using Ed's 900 fp down to fill 36" x 60" x 3".

36"x60"x3" / 900 == 7.22 oz of down

36" x 60" x 2" / 900 == 4.8 oz of down

36" x 60" x 1" / 900 == 2.4 oz of down

Single layer Insultex: 36"x 60" == 1.65 oz (by Mac's computation which i implicitly trust)

Now experience has, I believe, shown that the single layer of Insultex is probably equivalent temp wise to 1" of down.

Is it equivalent to 2" of down??????

If this is true, then a single layer of Insultex should be a better choice than down for summer quilts at least. Lighter, impervious to water and unaffected by compression.

Would the same be true for 3 season??

TeeDee's and my experience with 3 layers of Insultex has us choosing 3 layer Insultex for 4 season quilts. For 4 season, it's not lighter, but we still have impervious to water and unaffected by compression.

Addendum: just looked up TeeDee's figures when he made our quilts. He weighed the Insultex. 60" x 80", 158 g -- 5.60 oz. That works out to 1.512 oz/sq yrd
    Last edited by TiredFeet; 06-21-2010 at 19:59.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Is it equivalent to 2" of down?
    It all depends on the fit. In a few days, you will begin to hear from folks who have the new IX UQs, TQs and Jerry Chairs built inside out, with differential cut, and no binding. I think they are going to be significantly warmer than the original design.

I can hardly wait to put one of the new IX UQs in conjunction with a down UQ next winter. For instance, the Jerry Chair UQ and the Jerry Chair IX Inserts will work outside or inside a short down UQ... put the Jerry Chair outside the down as a weather shield, and the JC IX Insert inside the down as a vapor barrier. I need to get one of Stormcrow's short UQs just so I can make such a turbo-charged cold buster!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    It all depends on the fit. In a few days, you will begin to hear from folks who have the new IX UQs, TQs and Jerry Chairs built inside out, with differential cut, and no binding. I think they are going to be significantly warmer than the original design.

I can hardly wait to put one of the new IX UQs in conjunction with a down UQ next winter. For instance, the Jerry Chair UQ and the Jerry Chair IX Inserts will work outside or inside a short down UQ... put the Jerry Chair outside the down as a weather shield, and the JC IX Insert inside the down as a vapor barrier. I need to get one of Stormcrow's short UQs just so I can make such a turbo-charged cold buster!

- MacEntyre
    Just think how cold you could go in a Peapod with two layers of IX!

• + New Posts