Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings

Mesh Net Hammocks

Does anyone still use these?

I have not seen this kind of lightweight hammock around lately anywhere.

I do not remember how good they were, but I do remember being in a plastic one the day Elvis Presley decided to go into hiding.

I was in my mid to late teens and camping near a lake and because I managed to procure a six pack of beer, I stupidly got into the hammock with a paring knife in my back pocket with the blade sticking out wherein it cut some strands and promptly I fell through.

I had the knife because I was using it to open the thumb cutter punch-in beer tops.

Right after this devastating event the news came on the transitor radio about the Elvis departure from the public.

Bummer day.

Anyway, he has been a hero of mine ever since I heard he did not like what was on TV and then proceeded to blast the offending sewer box with a sizable revolver.

So does anyone still use the Gilligan's Island style hammock for camping anymore?

I really do not remember if they were comfortable or not. So far the most comfortable type I have used have been made from heavy canvas.

I think I might want one for ultralight warm weather camping trips if they are really light, but I am considering an inexpensive Grand Trunk for a full coverage hammock and regular camping.

I might want to make my own in a gill net fashion. What would be a good lightweight cord medium? Paracord or something else?

Thanks for any replies.
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have a few.

Last fall, I took all of my newly acquired knowledge on suspensions, sag, etc., and ran a little test. The result: they are wretched...right up there with waterboarding.

I've wracked my brain for alternate uses, and so far, all I've come up with is storage for xmas decorations.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't know how much lighter they would be, that would depend on what they were made of, but I do remember trying a net hammock & one made of a thin (1.1oz?) fabric one hot day.
    When it's hot, the net defiantly feels better, especially when I would swing myself to get a breeze.
    Of course, you would need something before morning to keep you warm, unless it stayed hot all night.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I camped in the little gill net ones several years ago. Not very comfortable, and not lighter than the current 1.9 oz single layers.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    Had one as my very first first hammock. Stylish white string, with waterski rope ends, one white, one yellow. (Huh? dunno why) Since I was stupid then it was a failure. (about 9years ago now) Gave up on hammocks until finding this site and being educated. Its no wonder how come I failed. LOL
    Yup, had one. Nope, don't want another one. Or do I... No..yes...dunno..

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    This is actually how I found HF. I was looking for directions on how to make one out of paracord, and I couldn't find instructions Anywhere, and stumbled across HF, and found that you could make a hammock out of cloth!! Fancy that! Went to Walmart and got some ripstop, and the rest, as they say, is history!

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    I have a rope style and a string/nylon mesh/net type.

Both are buried in storage somewhere, dont care where really.

My cotton mex style and my current diy prototype are WAY better.
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I can't help you with mesh hammocks. All I recall is that they left criss-cross marks on flesh. However, your post was one of the more entertaining rambles on this forum (right up there with Shadow's), so feel free to ask again ... about anything.

• + New Posts