Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Are you using good quality thread, Sandy? If not, that's the easiest fix to start with. I had problems like that with $.50/spool thread from Walmart and was about to throw my (wife's) machine through the window. I got some $5/spool thread and the problem immediately went away.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Just Jeff - You are right, I have been trying to use thread that was 2 spools for a dollar. I'll look for some better thread before my next try. The thread I have works fine on jean type material but go to some thin stuff and I have problems, I did get new needles and that did make it better but not great.

Thanks for the help
    Sandy B

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use Gutermann's thread. Expensive but worth it...I haven't had that problem since I switched. But even with the expensive stuff, I think I've only gone through 3-4 spools for all of my projects.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I got the $12/cone stuff from Thru-Hiker. It's very possible that I'll NEVER run out of thread...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

sewing machine

While I was at WalMart I bought some #50 black thread. It said "Machine Quilting". I also bought some real sewing scissors (I can put away the machete now)

With the top tension a bit higher, I can sew a stitch successfully. I finished my segmented pad extender. I cut off the double wide part I had planned(8 pads total). I couldn't see that working. The double wide part kept folding under when getting in.

So, now I'm a sewing fool. time to try hemming.

Can I just fold once and sew-- or do I have to double fold and double stitch? ugly but serviceable is okay with me.

Tom

Images
    I double fold and double stitch. One thing that works for me is making prototypes using $1yd cotton fabric before I use the more expensive ripstop. If I could sew better or knew what I wanted before I started, I might just go with it.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Depends on the material. On DWR, one fold still leaves a raw edge exposed...it'll fray. It'll probably be fine for a while, but eventually the fraying will work through the hem. Just depends on how long you plan to use it.

But once you get the hang of rolling it under it really isn't harder than a single fold.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have also found that needles will make a difference in a sewing machine. I was buying those cheap packs of needles that have several different sizes included from WalMart. They were constantly breaking, bending, tangling and breaking my thread. I thought my machine was out of adjustment. I bought a pack of the small Singer brand needles (they had a red coating on the back of the needle) and everything is great now.

I have sewn 2 hammocks, straps, and a couple of stuff sacks with the same Singer needle and I have had no glitches whatsoever. I would have gone through 2-3 needles in making 1 hammock if I had been using the cheap needles.

Just FYI.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

Success!!!

With my #50 machine quilting thread, my singer heavy duty needles and your advise, I was able to hem up a hammock without a hitch!!

It's 118" long and 58" wide double fold and double stitched . no problems. I pinned the hems, but I can see how, with enough experience, you could do it without pinning.

Then I folded it W style and zip tied it.

Of course, I had to hang it and try it ASAP. Boy can you get flat on a hammock this long!!!

I really need to pull the outside edges the 2 inches that "they" talk about. There is no real chance of falling out, but there is NO edge holding you in and saying "You're okay. Don't worry" .

I'll sleep in it tonight and decide tomorrow if it should be retied.

Thanks again for the advice.

Tom

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Well Michele, there are at least two of us- except I don't sew, though I have in the past. I should remedy that, though... (remembering "kangaroo hopping" the machine- just like the car... LOL)

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast