Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp

Whoopies on a Switchback

I bought Opie's all-in-one system (6' whoopies and 6' webbing - plus the extra length of the ring and fixed loop/chain).

I sent him an SOS this morning and spoke to him, but I'd like some more opinions.

I slipped the fixed loop thru the channel and then pulled everything thru the loop that popped out (lark head, I believe).

I found that it was so tight that the hammock wouldn't spread...totally unable to sleep in the hammock.

worst of all, I cut the original rope (couldn't untie the knot - they must have super-glued them!) and I'm going camping on Friday.

Another thing is that this made the whole setup extremely long...had to find 2 trees that were waaaaaay far apart. did not like this at all and am planning to send back for a shorter set. (suggestions? 4' webbing and 4' whoopies?)

Bear in mind that I'm only 5' tall so I can't reach that high on a tree.

Today, I discovered that he put a new video on the all-in-one (why didn't you tell me, Kris?) but he only shows how to do it on a gathered end, not a channel end hammock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PUkopYvzyk

I do have a set of whoopies and I'll rewatch his old video for the umpteenth time but I'm scared that the hammock will be cinched too tight.

anyone else have this problem? any ideas?

thanks

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    This boggles me Sandy... Because any cord you run through the channel will gather the end up exactly the same.

This is how you should attach the loop through the gathered end....

The only thing I can think of is you may have had the hammock pulled to tight, not enough sag.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Also... You can wrap the straps around the tree several times to use up the length.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I will second Opie's hunch... you have the hammock strung too tight.

There's nothing wrong with the way you attached the Whoopie to the channel on your gathered end hammock, if you did what you described.

The length of the Whoopies doesn't determine how far apart the trees need to be. It's just the opposite! Whoopies are adjustable. You have to learn how to use the adjustment to get things right, for any pair of trees you choose!

Find two trees that are the right distance apart for you, and adjust your Whoopies to work for that hang.

Hope this helps!

- MacEntyre

P.S. Tree huggers are adjustable as well... you can use the Marlinspike hitch to attach the Whoopies as close as possible to the tree, using as little of the tree hugger as you can.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    The palm trees weren't very wide and I did wrap the webbing around a couple of times.

If the body weight pulls down and cinches the channel, how can the ends open up so the hammock can spread?

Perhaps you're right about the angle, but one set of trees was too close and the others seemed to be OK, but obviously not.

could my height (or lack thereof - of 5') have anything to do with the entire length of the set up and hanging angle?

Oh, and the wind was really blowing off the lake and the hammock kept billowing...;

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    The ends wont open up. Its a "gathered end hammock." The center should open up.....

Youre height could be one of your issues. The SB is a HUGE hammock for someone your size. It will take a decent hang height just to keep it off the ground. This leads me to believe you are stringing it up pretty tight just to keep it off the ground. A RL would help... this would allow you to pull it tight, yet keep a decent mount of sag. You could almost go with the single line technique

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4719

If you dont mind... what do you weigh? The reason I ask is you may be able to get away from the optimum 30 degree angle and get much closer to flat. Add in a RL so you can pull the suspension tight and keep the same sag in the hammock no matter how high you attach your straps.

I think a shorter hammock would suit you better.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Hey Sandy,

I agree with what has already been said, I believe it is in the hang. We are now installing WS on Switchbacks and we haven't noticed any significant change in the way it hangs. Are you using the side pull-outs ? If so, try adding a little slack to EACH end of the suspension until it feels right, and remember to keep the hammock centered between the trees. If you still have issues, send me your phone # by Private Message and we will get it worked out.

Cheers, Dale
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    The ends wont open up. Its a "gathered end hammock." The center should open up.....
    I remember a discussion along these lines about Claytor hammocks, which have channel ends, but are "semi-gathered", as delivered. They will open up, kinda sorta. Best I recall, folks felt like the addition of whoopies or chain links had the potential to alter the hang.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Not so with the SwitchBack, Dave. It comes standard with Whoopie slings. (OP has an earlier one.)
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Frankly, I DO mind. Only my doctor knows how much I weigh. Let's just say that it's way too much.

After all this time and money, I'd hate to have to take my $20 Byer's Moskito Traveler with me this weekend!!

Until now, I've been hanging the SB on the Vario Stand using my Byer's micro-rope to get the proper sag and it's been super comfortable.

No, I haven't used the pull-out lines yet.

I am soooo frustrated.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast