Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Very cool Opie. I like those bones.
    And up here where we speak the Queens English, ( thats a laugh), we , climbers, say prussik as in bus.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I'm thinking of getting me a 9'x7' Cuben tarp at 4.5 ounces. I figure 4 ea 4' lines without shock cord (no stretch) and a system that would let me hang up to 25' between trees. Right now I've calculated that at about 17 grams for all the cords using 1.75mm line.

If I added 9' more line that would raise my line weight to about 20 grams. So what does figure 9 and bone thing weigh? Maybe I could fabricate SUL versions...
    Sgt Rock. My tarp ridge line weighs 16 g using 30' of 1.75 Lash-It. That includes 2 Prussics for the tarp and 3 Penberthy Prussics for a Truckers Hitch type arrangement that lets me pull the ridge line super tight. I use 3 trail toggles about 1/8" to 3/16" diameter, but since I don't carry those, they don't add to the weight. I use the Penberthy Prussics for the trucker hitch arrangement since I find they hold better than a regular Prussic. I find it simple to use and set-up. Sometimes I carry another 10' (approximately 5 g) of the 1.75 mm Lash-It if I think I may encounter large diameter trees.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Very nicely done Opie! But, dangit, would you please quit improving things right after I order one

I like the soft shackle addition to the TRL. I earlier had decided to permanently attach my TRL to my tarps and thought I could simply use a girth hitch to attach the tarp to the prussic loops. When I tried it, I discovered it would only work on first loop (as I couldn't pass the entire tarp through the second loop to finish the girth hitch). The soft shackle seems a simple and elegant solution!

Keep refining this stuff and soon everyone in the country will be talking about Opie lines!!!
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    I just wanted to share that every time I see the "TRL" in your thread title, I read it as "Tactical Ridge Line" even though I know better. Everything is so tactical these days.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Very nicely done Opie! But, dangit, would you please quit improving things right after I order one

I like the soft shackle addition to the TRL. I earlier had decided to permanently attach my TRL to my tarps and thought I could simply use a girth hitch to attach the tarp to the prussic loops. When I tried it, I discovered it would only work on first loop (as I couldn't pass the entire tarp through the second loop to finish the girth hitch). The soft shackle seems a simple and elegant solution!

Keep refining this stuff and soon everyone in the country will be talking about Opie lines!!!
    Cedar, you can accomplish what you are trying to do.

Take the second prusik off the line. Form the prusik wraps around a section of straw, bic pen etc. with the tube being just long enough to form the prusik loops. Now take that and larks head it to your tarp tie out and then pull the RL main line through the tube, then remove the tube.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    I just wanted to share that every time I see the "TRL" in your thread title, I read it as "Tactical Ridge Line" even though I know better. Everything is so tactical these days.
    Or tactile.

I never got up with the whole tactical thing. Seems like a marketing gimick.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Sgt Rock. My tarp ridge line weighs 16 g using 30' of 1.75 Lash-It...
    Thanks for the example and I'm trying to wrap my head around this...
    That includes 2 Prussics for the tarp
    I get that.
    and 3 Penberthy Prussics for a Truckers Hitch type arrangement that lets me pull the ridge line super tight
    I never heard of the penberthy prusik so I looked it up. I can see how this would replace a figure 9 and work like a truckers hitch with one on each end, but cannot figure where you put the third prusik. Help a poor hillbilly out.
    I use 3 trail toggles about 1/8" to 3/16" diameter, but since I don't carry those, they don't add to the weight
    And do you think the soft shackles like opie uses would work better than regular prusiks and toggles for the tarp attachment?
    I use the Penberthy Prussics for the trucker hitch arrangement since I find they hold better than a regular Prussic. I find it simple to use and set-up. Sometimes I carry another 10' (approximately 5 g) of the 1.75 mm Lash-It if I think I may encounter large diameter trees.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Cedar, you can accomplish what you are trying to do.

Take the second prusik off the line. Form the prusik wraps around a section of straw, bic pen etc. with the tube being just long enough to form the prusik loops. Now take that and larks head it to your tarp tie out and then pull the RL main line through the tube, then remove the tube.
    Brilliant
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Brilliant
    Yea i had to go through the pen process too, annoying and took some time to get it down, but once i did, i felt like i really accomplished something!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234