Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Retail sources for triangular quick links for a whoopie setup

MrsMustardman made up a DIY hammock with a warbonnet whip today, and we were playing with a whoopie sling suspension. The thing I liked least about the whoopie slings was that the webbing is separate from the slings, and I don't like messing around with things like toggles. So today we tried girth hitching the tree hugger to the whoopie sling to give a semi-permanent attachment. You could remove the girth hitch if either the sling or the webbing wore out, but the whole setup is in one piece for day to day use. With a Dutch clip or carabiner, the configuration is just as simple to use as a webbing and buckle suspension, but has the ease of adjustment and lack of bulk of a whoopie sling.

However, as expected, girth hitching a chunk of webbing around a loop of amsteel causes a lot of friction, and the soft-on-soft connection would eventually wear the materials. So I'd like to add some hardware in the middle, with the option to still make it removeable. The natural choice here seems to be triangular quick links - they are offered in a lot of sizes and strength ratings, and even fairly thin ones ought to be enough for a hammock.

Every hardware store under the sun carries normal quick links, but I'd really like to find the triangular ones, and preferably without ordering online and dealing with shipping. Is anyone aware of any retail hardware store type chains that might carry these? I doubt they will have them at Lowes or Home Depot, but maybe a more specialized store? I'd rather not drive around to every hardware store in the area hoping to find these.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    Equinox UL Tarp
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Breeze
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a friend who works at Fastenal. He says that they sell every type of hardware under the sun, and if they don't have it in-store, they can order it for free.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    A couple of people have done this, not with quick links, but one with a descending ring, and one (I like this best) with the triangular cinch buckles like WB used to use and AHE used to sell. That adjustable tree strap was slick.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY tarp
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I don't see them online but I'm pretty sure last time I was in West Marine they had some. If you have one close it might be worth checking out.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Wouldn't those be on the heavy side? It's a good idea, but I think AHE has the right connector your looking for and it's light.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    They don't have to be on the heavy side - I've had some of the oval ones that were very light and plenty strong to hold up a hammock.

I want something that can be opened to switch parts out, and the AHE ones don't fit the bill. I will probably end up going with plain triangle rings, but the flexibility of being able to switch would be awesome, especially for experimenting with different setups, tree hugger lengths, etc.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    They don't have to be on the heavy side - I've had some of the oval ones that were very light and plenty strong to hold up a hammock.

I want something that can be opened to switch parts out, and the AHE ones don't fit the bill. I will probably end up going with plain triangle rings, but the flexibility of being able to switch would be awesome, especially for experimenting with different setups, tree hugger lengths, etc.
    What's wrong with a 'biner?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts