Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

JRB's new, thicker "No Sniveller"

i just listened to a podcast at BPL.com about francis tapon (writer of "hike your own hike" & other books) as he is on the return portion of his yo yo hike of the CDT.
    he talked about some things that we talk about here on HF.

he apparently loves his no sniveler, especially the beefed up version he got to use in sub freezing temps.
    this poor guy is sleeping on two 1/8" gossamer gear (GG) pads (that's 1/4")... on the ground

his base pack weight is 5lbs.

he talked about using a GG spinnaker pack, but he spoke very highly of his cuben fiber tarp. he's had to do no repairs on the tarp!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    above, i talked about the guy doing the yo yo on the CDT & the "beefed up no sniveller" he is using.
    the guy (Francis) speaks highly of the no sniveller, especially considering that he is doing this long hike w/ a 5lb base weight pack!
    only problem he had was that the 1.5" no sniveller wasn't quite enough to keep him warm when the temps dropped well below freezing. of course he was using it below it's intended temp range.

instead of just getting a thicker, traditional type quilt, he contacted JRB & asked if they could help.
    they sent him a new, thicker, no sniveller w/ an extra 5ozs of down.

francis said he was warm as could be after that.

i was curious to know if JRB was going to offer some thing like that, so i emailed them & here's the response...

"Actually it is an Old Rag Mtn with a No Sniveller head hole, using 1.5 inch omnitape, 3 inch baffles overstuffed to 3.5-4 inches.....It is on the web site comparison chart.... we will finalize design when Francis complete his YOYO in 50-60 days .... we will probably have it available in Oct/Nov.... Probably take it to the MAHHO."

i had wondered if they couldn't have an even thicker version for colder weather & cold sleepers, & here it comes!!!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I just posted about this on WhiteBlaze. Does anyone know anything more about this? They already have it on their quilt comparison chart but not in the main catalogue

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...Comparison.htm

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    I just posted about this on WhiteBlaze. Does anyone know anything more about this? They already have it on their quilt comparison chart but not in the main catalogue

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...Comparison.htm
    Pan mentioned that they are going to take prototypes of it to the MAHHA hangout soon. I guess they'll probably show up for sale a few weeks after that.

edited to add: It was on post #74 of this thread.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 09-24-2007 at 13:48. Reason: added links
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Bummer. For a minute there I was confusing the No Sniveller with the Nest Down Under. I thought I was going to get a 2.9-inch baffled Nest which is really what I'm looking for. I realize the Old Rag Mountain can fill the bill but I would prefer having that slit to having to slide the quilt out of the way.

When you use the No Sniveller as an underquilt, where does the head-hole end up? Is it very useful as an underquilt?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Bummer. For a minute there I was confusing the No Sniveller with the Nest Down Under. I thought I was going to get a 2.9-inch baffled Nest which is really what I'm looking for. I realize the Old Rag Mountain can fill the bill but I would prefer having that slit to having to slide the quilt out of the way.

When you use the No Sniveller as an underquilt, where does the head-hole end up? Is it very useful as an underquilt?
    The No Sniveller is just as effective as the Nest as an under quilt. The head hold is located around your butt when used as an under quilt.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

The No Snivleler works just as well as the Nest as an underquilt. I have both.
    I actually prefer just to slide the underquilt out of the way when entering or exiting the Nest. That way you dont have to undo the velcro on the Nest and then the Hennessy velcro. Then you have to match them up again once your in the hammock. Although you can just attach the Nest velcro directly to the Hennessy velcro. Just easier to push aside IMO.
    One nice feature about a top loader hammock used with either underquilt is you can easily position the underquilt at the sides in case it tries to slip to one side. With a Hennessy, I used the side tie-out loops and ran the tie-out cord thru it and staked to the ground. If it is not done this way, the underquilt has a tendency to shift to one side or the other.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-24-2007 at 14:35.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts