Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've done the Approach Trail so I was thinking about starting at Springer and hiking north...but I'm with Mustardman on Georgia in June. I still might, though - that gives me the least driving time (i.e. most hiking time), and it probably won't be much hotter than TN/NC. I guess VA might be a bit cooler if I wanted to drive that far.

Plus I could say I completed a section for whatever that's worth.

I like the ideas, though...keep 'em coming! What's your favorite 100 miles of the trail?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I'd go north of the Smokies in the summer, stay high and stay cool. Ga positively SUCKS in the summer. The GA BMT would likely be the hike from hell if there was a heat wave. Up in TN might be good, I haven't hiked that section, ask Rock, he lives there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I'm doing the approach trail this week. I have 5 days to do it. May take that long... I'm slow. It's my test of how much I've lost/gained in fitness and endurance. Also a test of my ability to use my gear. I'm used to chilly, rainy Washington State. This weekend my family was laughing at me 'cause I'd reach for my rain jacket every time I went outside. It was 90's and sunny and humid in Kansas City at the time.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    When I lived and hiked on your side of the country I preferred to hike & travel without the benefit of tree leaves... views, flowers, fall !, etc. So I'd can Georgia and prolly mostly consider stuff well north ... might be cooler too. GA is better IMO in mid April to mid May.

It's been a couple of decades but think I recall that the VA ridges were leafed out by early June but the views are still frequent.

Further south Roan Mtn area was also a favorite. Loop hikes in the Smokies with a fly rod were also fun.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What are the Smokies like in June? Maybe I could Hike from Davenport to Franklin. Jennifer's gonna pick me up at the end and we're driving straight to FL for my sister's graduation, so that's a do-able drive from Franklin.

Do you think the Smokies would be much cooler than the GA section? Here's what I'm seeing for GSMNP in June:
    Gatlinburg - 86/58
    Clingman's dome - 63/49
    Asheville - 81/59

Those temps aren't too bad. Dahlonega is 83/57 so it's about the same...but the Smokies have some elevation. How much of the trail is at enough elevation to keep it closer to 60-70 than 80?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    If you do the Smokies, be aware that there are a lot of regulations to worry about, such as needing permits and getting in trouble for sleeping outside of designated camping spots. And you might want to pick up a bear canister for that trip

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Permits aren't really a problem, but I guess I'd have to bear bag. I usually sleep with my food but that's probably not a good idea there.

Hrm...I guess the shelters won't fill up quickly like they do during the bulk of thru season so I'd have that to worry about re: regulations. How many of those shelters are hammockable?

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Permits aren't really a problem, but I guess I'd have to bear bag. I usually sleep with my food but that's probably not a good idea there.

Hrm...I guess the shelters won't fill up quickly like they do during the bulk of thru season so I'd have that to worry about re: regulations. How many of those shelters are hammockable?
    Jeff - I'd take the bear comments seriously - the AT is closed to camping in the Blood Mtn area (Woods Hole Shelter) due to bears right now. My group hiked in NC/GA on the AT the past two Aprils and we heard a lot of bear stories each year - but always seemed to miss them by one Gap each night. We did meet one through hiker that lost his food to a bear last month. Fortunately he was able to resupply at Neel's Gap. Never the less, we always bear bag our food in that part of the world even though mice are usually our biggest pains.

I think that I posted something about this before, but if you do decide to do the AT in GA or NC and want some company I'd be interested in tagging along for at least part of the trip. I've walked all of the AT in GA several times now and am working on my NC sections. I am also due a break from work as this is the year I plan on actually taking ALL of my vacation days! Well, at least as much as I can, anyway.

Sweeper

PS - the comments on the BMT are spot-on in my book. The sections that I have walked (all the way to the Duncan Ridge Trail intersection) are generally tougher than the AT in that part of the world. As Sgt Rock mentioned earlier this month, the biggest problem is reliable water sources. We did a fall hike up there a few years back and had some really dry days.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

I think you will have to have reservations for each camping site since you would not be considered a thru-hiker under the NPS regs. Those with reservations have preference at each camp site. Summertime will be crowded, just like the annual TH crowd, lots of summertime hikers and campers. The Benton MacKaye trail sections might be less crowded. SGT Rock has a new trail guide out for the BMT.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast