Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    How many of those shelters are hammockable?
    100% of them! Some require a bit of creativity like the last one northbound, but they can all be hung in fairly easily.
    Buuuuuuuuuut, get maps and hit the blue blazed trails, there are a ton of them and the ones I walked were great! The backcountry campsites are made for hammocks with perfectly spaced trees and usually the sound of bubbling water nearby. Love the trails in GSMNP, well all of them expect the one with white paint for blazes.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hrm...I guess I could string together a few blue-blazes to get over 100 miles and still have Jennifer pick me up at Fontana, since the AT thru the park is only ~70 miles. I'll be going southbound and she's dropping me off at Davenport Gap right on I-40.

And many of the sites don't require reservations, which would free me up to hike only as far as I wanted each day.

I have a GSMNP map and the TN/NC AT guide with me now...I think I'll look it over for some side trails.

I did kinda want to do an AT section just for the sake of doing the AT, but any week in the woods is enjoyable.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I did kinda want to do an AT section just for the sake of doing the AT, but any week in the woods is enjoyable.
    Do what I did on my AT hike and just combine the two, you'll get more exercise that way anyway.

There are many blue trails that run near parallel with the AT. When I got bored of walking on the ridge of the AT, I'd just dig out the map and pick a blue that would eventually allow me to rejoin the AT. The downside is that means leaving the ridge for the valley, then back up to the ridge again. Still, many of the blue trails I was on did not look like they had been heavily used for years. The wildlife density was much heavier and I actually felt like I was in the woods. Very nice break from the Smokies section of the AT and it's hundreds upon thousands of boy scout troops.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Boy Scouts - good point. Maybe the blue blazes will be more peaceful and let me see more critters. And fewer rangers to ask me about my Bushbuddy.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    I believe you can do a 50+ mile loop hike in the Smokies using the AT and the BMT. It can get down right cold on the AT in the Smokies this time of year... I think it got close to freezing in June when I was at Ice Water Springs Shelter (its about 6000 ft elevation). It's been a few years since I have hiked in the Smokies but I believe the shelters along the AT require you to stay in the shelter and not camp out. Not so on the campsites on other trails in the Smokies. There are lots of trails in the Smokies that can keep you busy for a while.

You can do 50+ mile loop hikes using the Bartram and AT in NC and the BMT, Duncan Ridge, AT in Georgia. You need to pay attention to guides to find water sources on some sections of the BMT in GA and the Duncan Ridge Trail. The DRT is pretty tough going... don't know if it has been maintained recently. That use to be a problem and I had to turn back on a section I was hiking solo at one time after leaf-out.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    You could cover 1/3 of the BMT. If you go that route, let me know. I might tag along for a couple of days. I could bring a resupply as well.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    My suggestion? Partnership Shelter to Damascus or vice-versa. 63.7 miles with plenty of opportunity for blue blazing.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    FYI. GA AT is now open again but ATC says use diligence and proper bagging to prevent bear encounters.

My suggestion is stat outta GA in June!

Benton MacKaye thru the smokys, 20 Mile ranger station to Davenport gap, 90+ miles, less people, no shelters, but great sites, most if not all sites have bear cables. (less traffic means less bears...)

lots of water, great views, quiet trail.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good suggestions...keep 'em coming. I still haven't decided but I'm leaning towards non-AT in the Smokies. I didn't realize it gets close to freezing at some places so that'll affect my insulation choice. I was thinking about a summer UQ.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Check out the Mt Mitchel weather station for current & recorded temps & other weather related info at that elevation. Good stuff!

I couldn't say anything about allot of the places mentioned, because I've not been there, but I know the Mt Rogers area is a good place to be when it's hot, if you decide to drive a little further. Lots of trail miles there.
    I know of at least one resupply point that could be included (Troutdale), & there are probably more.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast