Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod

A little disappointed...or confused...

Hey there folks...I've been in the back ground for a while now and decided to join the site today. I've made two DIY hammocks now...one totaly experimental (just to see if I could do it) and the other was used last weekend on the trail. My disappointment comes from the fact that I tried to re-whip the one used last weekend. It did not work...I dont know if I did not fold it right or what...but I have a very tight center and lots of flap on both sides. I folded the material with an asem. shape and then used the roll technique that HeadChange photographed...not sure where I went wrong...but it's not right...LOL...I am completely new to this whole concept of camping and dont have a clue...thus the reason it took me so long to join the discussion...I am going to rework the hammock again tomorrow evening...what I need is a crash couse on how to properly hang a hammock. I've made a set of tree huggers and such...so securing the hammock to the tree is not the problem. I am confused on the ridge line and such. I feel that the hammock needs a structural ridge line...I am just not understanding how to hang the hammock and attach a ridge line...I've read Jeff's page and must say he's done a great job on the whole thing...that's where I learned about this site. I guess on question is...how far can the trees be apart and the hammock preform as expected? How close? I'll take a few photos of how I had it set up last weekend and tell me where I've gone wrong. I'll set it up and take them tomorrow and post them tomorrow evening. With last weekend's set up...I would sleep a little and have to repostion myself in it...I dont know anyone who's local to me who has a hammock that does this type of camping...so I am at the mercy of yall.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Last edited by alex30808; 09-09-2007 at 21:44.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    10' is usually about the minimum distance you would want. That's too close for most. 20' or more is what some have hung from. A nice sweet spot for most is say 12'-16'
    How long is the rope your hanging from? That would obviously affect how far you could hang it. I use 12' of webbing per side which is plenty for well over 20' hangs.
    If your up for it, maybe we could get together for a hanging in the beutiful N.Georgia Mtns.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-09-2007 at 21:56.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The roll whip will give you a hammock just like you stated: tight middle and a lot of slack in the sides. The roll whip came from the whipping technique used on HH which have side tie outs. The side tie outs take up the slack in the hammock.

You may try one of the other whipping techniques on Jeff's site if the roll whip is not working for you.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

One illuminating comment in Headchange's tutorial is that he re-did his whipping something like twelve times before he was satisfied.

Don't like it? Try it again. And again. And again. Luckily, whipping is quick, easy, and non-destructive.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I would suggest that you first hang the hammock without a ridge line. Experiment with the amount of sag the gives you optimum comfort. I read that 30 degrees is about right. (Dave Womble, I believe) once you have the sag you want, measure the distance between hammock ends and add the ridge line.

theoretically, you can hang between any two points wider than the "sagged hammock" length. Just go high enough to clear the ground at the bottom of the hammock.

In practice, with a structural ridge line, you can string the hammock very tightly and, thus, don't have to raise the tie off points so much for wider spaced trees.

Hope this helps

Tom

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You have to experimant with the proper sag and distance of the trees. When you find the right amount of sag then that is the proper ridgeline length. As far as the distance of the trees goes. I think it is best if you have a ridge line to keep it at a minimum. About 6 inches on either side should do. If it is too long there will be more rope to stretch. Once you find that perfect distance pace it off putting one foot in front of the other so you can duplicate it the next time. Also try hanging with your head or feet a little higher than the other. It is a personal preference of the indevidual user. As far as whipping goes I used wire ties until I was satified and then whipped it with rope, it was quicker.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    First let me say thanks for all the help and suggestions. I do greatly appreciate it.

FanaticFringer...I am up to it...I am just completely new to this...and with out any experience in a Mfg. hammock to know how one is supposed to feel...I am at a loss.

Here's the only photo I got of the set up last weekend....

I just took this photo out here in my back yard...the trees are exactly 21' apart.

I have a tight line from tree to tree...it's set up like this....tree hugger-strap to the hammock's "ridge line is 5' + 8' ridge line pulled tight + 7' of ratchet strap attached to a hugger that is tight agains the tree.

The hammock hangs from the two brown 550 cord loops at the knots in the "ridge line".

If you think this could be my problem...any help would be greatly appreciated

I am going to re whip the hammock "Speer Style" and see if that helps any.
    Last edited by alex30808; 09-10-2007 at 19:06.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I went back and re-whipped the hammock "Speer Style" and it is MUCH better...I am not sure where I went wrong...but I'll figure it out soon enough. One thing I did do again is fold the material asem and then gathered it. This allowed the sides to tighten but allowed me to lay comfortably in it on my back, sides and even on my belly.

I went back to Jeff's site and looked at how he made his hammocks and now I understand one of my possible problems. I've not got long rope or webbing comming from my hammock itself...I have it hanging from the ridge line (which is pulled tight with the tree straps and the ratchet strap) with two lark's head loops that hang down from the ridge line.
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Jeff has told us that he has broken 550 cord in a hammock. It may work OK for now but in the long run you may want to look into some stronger cord.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    What do you suggest and where is it readily avaliable?
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast