Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

My DIY hammocks

Hammock 1 - The White Bridge

One of the things a coveted after the Hoosier Hang was a bridge hammock. I got the chance to hang in a bridge (thanks Clint) and to look over one of Grizz' bridges. So I put some ideas together and made my first bridge (did I just say first? )

Anyway this one I made just to see if I would like the bridge style of hammock. Its made mostly of items I had around the sewing room. The body is Walmart 1.1 nylon. I'm not a big fan of white, but its what I had on hand. I used some tubular webbing I picked up last year at Ragged Mt when I was there last year. I made up the support system using a bury to form the triangle and incorporated a whoopie sling.

White Bridge 001.jpgWhite Bridge 002.jpg

I used bamboo for the spreaders and made pockets out of webbing to hold the spreaders.

White Bridge 003.jpg

After Griz posted about the half-length bug net I went ahead and did a similar thing for my bridge. I haven't tested the bug net yet - not buggy enuf here. I'll get a chance latter this summer when I am up in NH.

White Bridge 004.jpgWhite Bridge 007.jpg

I've slept out in the hammock several times. It definitely is flat when adjusted correctly. I find it a bit confining and have only been able to sleep flat on my back and partly on my side. I will continue testing for the good of the community.

The white material appears to be too weak for the body of the hammock. I'm not sure I would trust the hammock in the back country. There are a number of places where I can see thru the material and places it appears to be overstressed. I have material for a new body - but may not have the time to replace it until after the the summer.

Hammock Two- A Blackbird WannaBe

I lost my gathered end with integral bug net when it tore on me a few months ago. It was made of Walmart polyester and didn't hold up very well. ) So I have just finished making a new hammock based loosely on the Blackbird.

While at the Hoosier Hang I was able to try out BonsaiHiker's Blackbird and was quite impressed. One of the things that struck me was how the material was much more solid than that of my DIY hammock. I suppose because it didn't stretch as much. So the new hammock used 1.9 oz ripstop from JoAnne's. This gives the hammock a completely different lay than my old one. I just tested it for a few minutes this afternoon and will give it a better test tonight up at the hammock testing grounds.

Netted 01.jpg Netted 02.jpgNetted 03.jpgNetted 04.jpgNetted 05.jpg

I find making a hammock with attached bug net a challenge and am not completely happy with the way it looks. But if it gives me a good nites sleep I will be satisfied for now.

Now I just need to make a summer UQ and I'll be ready for the summer's hanging.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Looking good krugd, the bug has bit and there is no cure! congrats
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Wow, busy busy! Which one will you be bringing to RRG?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    that's great! I like the bamboo

Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    [SIZE="5"]
    I've slept out in the hammock several times. It definitely is flat when adjusted correctly. I find it a bit confining and have only been able to sleep flat on my back and partly on my side.
    There's the tradeoff, succinctly put.

I find making a hammock with attached bug net a challenge
    N.B. Understatement.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    the bug has bit and there is no cure!
    Yea. Every time I finish a project I find that my list of projects left to do is longer than when I began. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle
    Wow, busy busy!
    I'll admit I was getting tired of working on that second hammock. Gotta get ready for the RRG hang!

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick
    Which one will you be bringing to RRG?
    I don't know. Important decision. I'll have to sleep on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams
    I like the bamboo
    Of course that was one of TeeDee's ideas. Very light and very cheap. They are a little long and I needto play around with ways to carry them. I've got an idea for using them to make a "frame" for the gearskin - something else on the DIY list.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams
    N.B. Understatement.
    I guess that is why we have so many other options for bug nets. Thanks for all the ideas you've put out here. I look forward to playing some with the bridge design in the future.
    Last edited by krugd; 05-25-2010 at 12:20.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I will
    Quote Originally Posted by krugd
    give it a better test tonight up at the hammock testing grounds.
    A great night's sleep. I think its a keeper! Thats the best night's sleep I have had up at the hanging grounds.

I need to put some pullouts on the BB Wannabee near my head. With UQ attached the extra material wants to hang right in my face - should be easily fixed. I even found I was able to lie on my stomach with a small pillow under my hips. Don't know that I could stay that way all night, but it is quite flat.

Got up several times during the night to, uh.., look at the moon, and found it easy to get right back into a comfortable position afterward.

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    Krugd, do you have a pattern for your Wannabe BB? Even a crude rough sketch would be fine just to get an idea of the shapes used.
    ~We all start at the bottom~

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz or WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truehart View Post
    Krugd, do you have a pattern for your Wannabe BB? Even a crude rough sketch would be fine just to get an idea of the shapes used.
    I'll let Krugd speak for himself, but thought I'd mention that when I made my DIY BB clone, I used the info found in this thread. It's not a pattern, but it was enough to get me going.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Truehart View Post
    I didn't work from much of a sketch. I had built an earlier version and worked from that, making improvements where needed. I have sketched out the basic shapes and posted it in my gallery. Hope this helps. I can make some better measurements some time, but right now the hammock is hanging and its a bit wet outside.

Good luck making your own version. I would advise you to be ready to alter plans as things come together (or, rather don't.) The zipper is prob ably the hardest part, attach the zipper sides early, before there is a lot of material in the way.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Nice work!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast