Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Chatooga River May 21-23, 2010

This is where I lived for two glorious days.
    Friday afternoon, Half-Hitch and I parked at Burrell's Ford and hiked north along the Chatooga for about 30 minutes. For those familiar with the area, we camped just before crossing the bridge over the East Fork of the Chatooga.
    For supper, we rehydrated some burrito mix and salsa, added cheese and wrapped in a tortilla. Two big ones was all I could hold.

Weatherman assured us that we were going to get wet all weekend and he missed it completely. I woke up at 5:00 am Saturday morning to the pitter-patter of rain on the tarp. Went right back to sleep and it had quit before I woke up at 7:00. That was all we got.
    You know how I like to eat. We froze six scrambled eggs in a Nalgene and packed them in. They had thawed by Saturday morning and I used the bottom of my Outback Oven for a skillet.

I rehydrated some shredded potatoes and sausage, mixed in the eggs and covered with cheese. This is my go-to breakfast.

Had some fisherman camp close by, I had a ringside seat and watched 'em pull four big ones out that morning.

We took the opportunity to play with some new cooking equipment. I bought a Heineken cook kit from greenlespaul, a Cobalt Blue Soloist stove from stovemandan and a firesteel from Paul at AHE. Along with several homemade stoves and a Caldera Cone, (thanks to 2 Questions excellent video), we had more toys than we could use.

The Cobalt boiled in 8 minutes and continued to burn for 13.5 on 3/4 oz. of fuel.

Had a friend from work bring his kids up to see us and we hiked on up to Ellicott Rock. This is where NC, SC, and GA all touch, on a rock in the middle of the river. James Ellicott surveyed these mountains about 200 years ago and marked the rock as that point. Surveyors today are amazed at his accuracy.
    We made them a sweet treat to load them up with sugar before they went home.
    Nanner-Nilla Pudding

We sat around eating and watching the butterflies which were plenty.

Supper was rehydrated homemade spaghetti and sauce, based on a recommendation from Myles To Go. Boil the noodles, mix in the sauce and dehydrate it all. Just like he said, it was great.

We had two Boy Scout Troops move in on each side of us, about 15 in each group. They had done 10 miles with packs and by 9:00, they were down for the night. I wish I could say the same for the 3 couples with 4 dogs (3 yellow labs and 1 golden retriever) on the other side of the scouts. They barked on and off all night.

Breakfast speaks for itself-
    That's pre-cooked bacon.

We hiked out and stopped by Spoonauger Falls on the way. It's 0.1 miles off the trail and a pretty good climb, but worth it.

All in all, it was a great weekend.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great report and pics. Looks like a very nice spot.
    Sorry to hear about the dogs. People can be so stupid and inconsiderate about their dogs behavior.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Looks like a GREAT time! Boy, you eat well in camp - I want to camp with y'all.
    Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Dam I'm hungry just looking.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Awesome and then some ..... I want some naner puddin' now!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Man, you sure know how to eat on the trail - makes my mountain house meals look pretty sad by comparison.

Chatooga river, eh - you didn't hear any banjos did you?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    The two most important things for me, sleep well, eat well. The Blackbird takes care of the first, I can take care of the second.
    I've made that pudding with chocolate pudding and crushed Oreos.
    I think I prefer that over the nanner.

Nope...no banjos
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

WOW... thanks for the pics and report from my home state! I went to Clemson, in fact, not far from there.

In case you don't know, you don't have to freeze eggs. They store perfectly well, fresh. I love fresh eggs on my backpacking trips. Yes, you do have to protect them from breaking, but I've never yet had one break on me. Before I go, I just dip them in boiling water for about 3 to 5 seconds. That re-seals the shell ... similar to the fact they come out of mama sealed and last for weeks naturally.

Love your photos of your meals! Gives me some good ideas! Again, thanks for sharing!

Rain Man

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Nice Report SF ! Sorry we missed you out there but by the time we got to Burrels Ford, we were exhausted. Sat in the freezing Chatooga for about 45 minutes and I was done for the night. Planned to walk around to see if I could find your camp but the body had other plans that evening. Definitely had a great weather, just goes to show that you can't predict Mother Nature. However, I will say that we did camp next to 1 Boy Scout Troop (yellow tents), just curious if you were nearby to that group?
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Nice report I need to get up thier and hang and fly fish.

Ron

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast