Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JohnF23

Hello From Pittsburgh

Hi Everyone,

I'm John and I'm from Pittsburgh. I'm 17 years old and a Junior in High School. I've been backpacking and camping for years, and recently hammock camping caught my eye. I joined this forum in hopes of learning more about the equipment and techniques to have a successful night hanging. I was reading up on reviews online, and especially this forum, and felt pretty overwhelmed by all the information that was presented. Do you think you guys could help me pick a setup in the 100-200 dollar range. I was looking at the Hennessy Hammocks, and saw many good reviews, but also some veterans on this forum preferred other things. Thanks so much for the help guys.

John

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Welcome, JohnF. Oddly enough, I'm also John F. from the 'Burgh. Well, I guess it's not that odd-- pretty common name and first letter in a last name. Anyway...

I like my Claytor JH, which I bought way back when they were cheaper. Everybody's got their favorites; the JH is mine. My advice would be to try out a bunch of different kinds if you can and see what you like. Lots of people like Hennessey, others like the Bear Mountain Bridge by JRB, still others swear by their homemade, etc. It depends on what you like and find comfortable-- which is why a lot of people make their own the way they want it to be. Maybe a good way to try or see different models/set-ups would be to go to one of the many hangs that get advertised here. Good luck.

And being from Pgh, I'm sure you'll join me in chanting: LETS GO BUCS! They're down a run to the Braves as I type this.

JohnF23
    Is there many others from the 'Burgh? I would like to try some different things and have a look at them in person, but don't know anyone else with the interest.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum John. If you've got access to a sewing machine its not to hard to make a hammock , that would be cheap. You could use a ccf pad from wallmart for bottom insulation, your sleeping bag open over you and you could order a bugnet from Warbonnet outdoors. You could also order a Eno doublenest hammock and bugnet and use any waterproof tarp for now till you have more $$.Good luck.
    PS everyone is overwhelmed in the beginning but there's lots of help here.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

JohnF23
    Oh I forgot to mention this, but I already have a hammock, but I'm looking to get more serious into hammock camping, and want to upgrade my gear.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    checkout this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=7890

Also check the google map. I'd love to help ya out, but I'm in Texas and I'm not sure when I'll get sent back home.

Again, good luck.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Hennessy Hammock Asym is on sale right now at REI for $99 Pittsburgh Bucs
    http://www.rei.com/product/696121
    That would include free shipping if you are a member, if not. about $10-12 more for shipping

You can find the Hammock specs here:
    http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-expeditionasym.html

As your money situation improves, you can go for an Under Quilt for warmth or purchase the Hennessyhammock SUPERSHELTER 4 SEASON
    INSULATION SYSTEM !!!!! http://hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html#INSULATION

Another thing you can do is to keep your eyes on this site for Hammocks on Sale, or do as I just did--Bid on E-Bay. ( I just got a Clark North American on E bay)
    Like you, I am a Junior member,I learn every day, but learning from the pros on this site is what I enjoy the most!!!! Now I need to adjust from a tent to Hammock, but these guys n gals say once you hang, you never go back to a tent!!
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

JohnF23
    Yes I was looking to get the Hennessy because I live close to a REI, and I went to pick one up last night but they're out. I am a REI member so I can take advantage of the free shipping, and the 40 dollars off. Plus they have a great return policy.

What do you guys usually do with your pack or other gear whenever hammock camping though? Do you just leave it under the fly or is there another way to store gear?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Hi JohnF23! I'm 75 miles south of you in Morgantown, PA. I started with a Hennessey, made a DIY, and now have a Blackbird hammock. And a bunch of other gear, tarps, quilts, underquilts, etc. If you ever want to see the Blackbird I could probably meet you somewhere around Washington, PA for a gear show and tell.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. There is no right or wrong, just different choices!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

JohnF23
    Thanks HC. That's a kind offer and I may have to take you up on that. Thanks for the warm welcome and information guys

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast