Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Overnight Canoe Trip with First Time Hammocker

I am going on a 2 day canoe trip Sunday night. Usually I don't post trip reports, but this one should be good. I finally convinced my dad to try a night in a hammock. I am going to have him try out my HH and I'm going to test drive my homemade one. This should be interesting. Last October we went on a 3 day trip after I just got my HH. Needless to say he got some good laughs at me setting it up and getting comfortable in it.

The temperature is supposed to get down to the 40's at night, but should be in the low 30's next to the water. I am going to have him use the HH, JRB nest, cc pad if needed, and an old 0 deg bag I have.

I'll post some pics and a report, this should be an interesting time.

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I am going on a 2 day canoe trip Sunday night. Usually I don't post trip reports, but this one should be good. I finally convinced my dad to try a night in a hammock. I am going to have him try out my HH and I'm going to test drive my homemade one. This should be interesting. Last October we went on a 3 day trip after I just got my HH. Needless to say he got some good laughs at me setting it up and getting comfortable in it.

The temperature is supposed to get down to the 40's at night, but should be in the low 30's next to the water. I am going to have him use the HH, JRB nest, cc pad if needed, and an old 0 deg bag I have.

Wow....this sounds so cool! I'm jealous of all of your fun trips you've been on lately! Hey...by the way, the skins showed up in the mail today. THANKS!!! (for all of you who don't know...Hammock Engineer sewed me a set of skins for my hammock/Nest and some net ones for my tarp) I'll put them on tomorrow for the first time and take some pics. Thanks again and have fun on your trip!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post

You should be toasty with that set up....

Spent two of the last three nights in my hammock with Nest and No Sniveller.... one at 45, piece of cake, toasty slept about45 minutes past daylight....Last night at 31, great till 4 AM bio break, then slipped my 10x20 inch pack pad under the back because it seemed a little cool and went back to sleep until 7 AM.... I was not toasty but I was warm and comfortable.... Oh yeah, fleece long set, wool socks and fleece balaclava.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    hammock engineer Can't wait to hear report! Glad to see the detailed reports coming in. its helpful to hear what others are doing for cold weather and what there using, and wearing ect. good report pan!
    Last edited by Hangman; 11-05-2006 at 19:43.

Images

Just Back

did Two nights on waters edge on a Kayaking trip...Friday night temps to 28 degrees, Saturday night, temps to 38/40 much better... :-)

I'm a warm sleeper in the south, so I haven't gotten into an underquilt (Yet), I just put a full length Ultralight Thermarest in the hammock, and cover up with an unzipped bag...this weekend it was an REI 20 degree down bag( oh and I slept in zip off nylon pants, long silk weight patagonia undies and an expedition weight fleece on Friday night - cold)...no problems, except for the all to frequent nature calls...(Go ahead and laugh, old age is coming for YOU too!)

Hope the weather allowed you all to witness the full moon on the lake, Friday night I had the Barge Channel all to myself, Saturday I paddled Town Creek to it's headwaters on an Eagle watch/Fall Colors trip, and today I test drove my new experimental sail rig on the lake...dang the last three days have been perfect...(Happy sigh...)

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTroll View Post
    did Two nights on waters edge on a Kayaking trip...Friday night temps to 28 degrees, Saturday night, temps to 38/40 much better... :-)

I'm a warm sleeper in the south, so I haven't gotten into an underquilt (Yet), I just put a full length Ultralight Thermarest in the hammock, and cover up with an unzipped bag...this weekend it was an REI 20 degree down bag( oh and I slept in zip off nylon pants, long silk weight patagonia undies and an expedition weight fleece on Friday night - cold)...no problems, except for the all to frequent nature calls...(Go ahead and laugh, old age is coming for YOU too!)

Hope the weather allowed you all to witness the full moon on the lake, Friday night I had the Barge Channel all to myself, Saturday I paddled Town Creek to it's headwaters on an Eagle watch/Fall Colors trip, and today I test drove my new experimental sail rig on the lake...dang the last three days have been perfect...(Happy sigh...)
    If you are making more nature calls in the woods than at home it is an indication that you are not warm enough to keep your bladder contents to the comfort level... one extra trip, fine... more than that rethink your set up.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Trust me...Home or Hammock, I'm going to have to go, and go...it ain't the cold, it's the AGE.

I'm toasty enough to fog my glasses when I get up....after 21 years in the Army, I know when I'm cold///LMAO

Images
    Thanks for the warm suggestions, I just got back and will post some pics tomorrow. We both stayed pretty warm. The night started out at 40 degrees and was down to about 30 by morning.

My dad was using my HH, nest, and a 0 bag with a cc pad and was fine. I was in my homemade hammock with my 20 degree bag and cc pad. I was warm until I got up in the middle of the night for a while. I fixed the cold butt problem with putting extra clothes underneath me. If I had a sit pad, it would have been perfect. I was wearing warm socks, soft shell fleece pants, short seleve T, and a long seleve smart wool. I recently got a primaloft jacket. I learned that I can use that as a pillow and pull part of it over my head. I can them pull my sleeping bag up and leave only my mouth sticking out. I was really warm this way and much more comfortable then with a hat and bacla.

An interesting thing is that the pad I was using was wider than the one I use in my HH. I had cold shoulders in homemade speer but do not have a problem in the HH.

I'll post the pic of where I hang my hammock. I only used one tree! It was a huge tree growing parrallel to the ground with 2 branches about 13 feet apart growing straight up. I ended up hanging 6+ feet off the ground. Prefect spot.

I think I convinced myself to leave the HH at home and use the Speer for my thru next year. It is really comfortable and nice to not have the bugnet attached. I took the tarp half down in the middle of the night and looked at the stars and full moon.

Images
    I posted 2 pics from the trip. They are of my Homemade Speer and the McCat Deluxe. The tieouts where a little close, but I could not resist hanging here.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I really like the choice in hanging locations.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast