My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Liners, Liners, Liners, and no cotton. I also make it a habit to stop every hour whether I need to or not, and change my socks. I dry the old set on the outside of my pack, and they are ready to go the next hour. haven't had I problem since I started this
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Liners, Liners, Liners, and no cotton. I also make it a habit to stop every hour whether I need to or not, and change my socks. I dry the old set on the outside of my pack, and they are ready to go the next hour. haven't had I problem since I started this
    had any hiking companions since you started this?

Grizz (who uses sock locks to hang his socks out to dry on the pack)

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Those are some great pics, Rockstar. The drab, gray clouds really add an ambiance to your photos. I really love the Grayson Highlands area. It's beautiful. I am going to try and take my wife at some point.

I am sorry to hear about your blisters. I use duct tape when I feel a hot spot coming on. I hear a lot of good things about Moleskin and I may try that in the future.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    had any hiking companions since you started this?

Grizz (who uses sock locks to hang his socks out to dry on the pack)
    haha yes, but they never say anything (at least out loud ) Probably the best thing I ever did, was switch from boots to sneakers. I'm just careful with my ankles on rocks, and New Balance has the best fit for me.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hey RockStar, I was thinking it was time to hear from you. I'm glad your hike was a success, and I'm guessing it laid to rest some issues even while raising some blisters. Way to go!

OG

I used to use liners and synthetic or wool socks in combination but since have gone to just light hiking socks and a more breathable and lighter shoe and haven't had a blister since. I can relate to your blister woes though. While hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness years ago, I got crippling blisters on both feet and barely made it out wearing Tevas and a 50 lb pack. I was very young and inexperienced then. Your pictures brought back good memories. The Grayson Highlands is a pretty cool place.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images

Sock liners

I tried sock liners the first day, also had new heat molded foot pads made by Montrail. Of course they were molded by yours truly after arriving.

I believe the raise in footbed and the sock liner allowing my foot to move around more caused the blisters to develope. I did the 80 miles of GA section without 1 hot spot let alone a blister. I wore 2 smartwool socks in my boots with a cheapy foot pad from Wal Mart. Jeff at the outfitter grinded the edge of my footpad down for me so it wouldn't raise my toes anymore and I am sticking with the 2 sock method. I will try liners again but, I am buying a new pair of lightweight boots and superfeet.

The boots I was wearing are boots I wore for a year before doing the Georgia Section of the AT, so they were broken in well.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

On my way up to Grayson this weekend for a 3 day hike and my first outing with my HH Explorer Asym.

Thanks for the pix, now the next 2 days are going to be even harder to wait through.

Hope you heal up quick.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    I tried sock liners the first day, also had new heat molded foot pads made by Montrail. Of course they were molded by yours truly after arriving.

The boots I was wearing are boots I wore for a year before doing the Georgia Section of the AT, so they were broken in well.
    Basically you changed the fit of your boot after arriving!!!!.... Yikes!

Why did you mess with what had worked for you previously? Were you having other problems?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Inimicus View Post
    On my way up to Grayson this weekend for a 3 day hike and my first outing with my HH Explorer Asym.

Thanks for the pix, now the next 2 days are going to be even harder to wait through.

Hope you heal up quick.
    bring back pictures & have a great trip. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast