Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images

back from a week in Virginia

I went hiking with Two Speed (ground dweller from WB) in Virginia. We started at Virginia Hwy 603 Southbound to Damascus. I made it all except the last 5 miles. A few of my blisters became infected and very painful at that! I am on meds and stuff now so they are getting better. Moral tot he story, carry betadine wipes and clean all wounds -or so says my doc! I think Ill do that!

It was truly beautiful up there and my hammock was extremely comfortable with NO back problems. All except the last night when I was too sore to climb the hill and hang b/t 2 closer trees. So my butt was on the ground when I got in. I didn't care. I woke up with an irritated back and butt. Not to mention the blisters keeping me up everytime they touched anything.

I posted some pics on my flickr account. Its labeled Grayson Highlands. I dont have many pics of my hammock set up b/c I only had limited memory to work with as I borrowed a camera.

My MacCat Standard worked extremely well for me b/c I am short. So when it was cold I pitched it close to the ground and my straps held my HH nice and tight so though Im a bit "weighty" it didn't sag to the ground. I am totally diggin the buckles! Thanks Funny Money!

BTW My favorite parts were the acres and acres of fresh blueberries, blackberries, and the smell of "Christmas Trees". Oh and the exercise!
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, a clean wound is a happy wound
    thanks for the pictures. i love that area.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Nice photos of the trip...all but those blister pictures. Those look painful!

I hope to hike that area sometime next spring/early summer.

TWS

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Wow, what a nice area. Those ponies in the mist photos are almost surreal. Hope you feet heal quickly. Thanks for sharing.
    -Redtail

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Hey Rockstar,

Sure am glad you enjoyed yourself, and I hope I don't get blisters like that on the FHT! Nice pics.

I'm glad the buckles work for ya, and I assume those thin straps have worked out better than I expected!! That's good to know.

Images
    Nice pics.... Great scenery.

Ouch on the blisters... My vote is always to try and not get them in the first place. There's a number of things you can do to help with this.

1) Make sure your boots really DO fit, and break them in well at home. I wear mine around the house when new for quite awhile. Clean them well and repeat a couple weeks before a major trip if you don't hike in them at least once a week
    2)Wear a good sock or sock combo. I like a thin liner and good heavy outers. Like a coolmax ski liner and Smartwool outer. This puts most of the slip between the layers of socks rather than your foot and the sock.
    3)Wash your feet and socks lots. Change them often. If you have really "moist" (sweaty!!) feet do this at lunch too. I know its a lot of hassle but its better than crippling blisters, or ending it early. Try a good foot powder if that works for you.
    4)Have this all figured out BEFORE you get out there!!! I didn't one trip and lost the toenails on both my little toes before the end of it. Never again!!!

I'm sure others have their own things they do to prevent blisters. Remember an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure... or some cliche like that....
    Last edited by Rapt; 09-11-2007 at 08:54.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Nice pics RockStar. Glad you had a good time and sorry about the blisters. The 2 sock method, slick liner sock and thicker outer sock is an excellent way to move the moisture from your foot and eliminate the friction that happens between the outer sock and your foot. The liner sock puts the friction between the 2 sock layers. I learned this about 8 years ago and haven't had a blister since. Not saying it's a cure-all but it's worked for me so far.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    rockstar, glad you had a great time despite the blisters!! take care of those feet girlfriend!the pics were wonderful!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Great pics, thanks.

I'm with stoikurt on the liners. I learned that trick years and years ago. I still get the occasional blister, but it's usually when I don't pay attention to that wee little burning sensation that warns you a blister is about to form.

Images
    congrats on the trip...looks like ya need some of blackies tips on staying blister free...hope they are healing well..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast