Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Setting up problems

Just bought a hennessey from REI today and couldnt wait to try it out..But now Im disappointed. I sat it up as shown in the videos. When I went to sit down in it, as in the chair, it was fine. Actually pretty comfortable, I said, "This could actually work". But then when I went to laydown in side the hammock came crashing down staight to the ground, but every thing was still hooked up right,.. Any idea on set ups, or some other way?? My arse hurts right now...

I am 230 and it is rated at 250, (Expeditio A-SYM).. Any help or ideas would be helpfull..I am at the verge of taking it back, but would like to give another try..

Graywolf

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    You say it came crashing down but everything was still hooked up right - did the tree huggers slide down the tree? How exactly did you fall?

Crashing to the ground is definitely NOT a standard occurrence, so it's just a matter of figuring out what went wrong and fixing it.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    What part came undone? Was it a knot issue or did the hugger slip. I don't think you are really a man until you drop about a foot to the ground. I think you have to get up on that horse again as the HH suspension is very solid.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    What part came undone? Was it a knot issue or did the hugger slip. I don't think you are really a man until you drop about a foot to the ground. I think you have to get up on that horse again as the HH suspension is very solid.
    Actually just before it fell, I heard a "slip" where the line connects to the hammock its self.. Kinda like a knot slip..Then CRASH!!..The knot at the trees held firm, so it had to be the hammock connection..Maybe a defect??

Graywolf

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That is strange. The suspension came undone from the hammock. HH hs great customer service, so if that is the case they will help you.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I'm still not following - did the suspension rope disconnect from the hammock completely?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    That is strange. The suspension came undone from the hammock. HH hs great customer service, so if that is the case they will help you.
    Waiting from CS.. I may take it back and just exchange for another. REI is pretty good at that.. If it is a defect, then Im sure the other could be OK.. I hear great things about the HH so I dont want to write it off just yet..

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well that's a new one as far as I know. Good plan with the REI return. Gotta love that place for that reason alone.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I'm still trying to understand what exactly happened - if "everything was still hooked up", are you saying the hammock was still connected to the ropes, and the ropes still connected to the tree huggers, which were still on the trees, but you hit the ground?

If this is what happened, I am thinking that one possibility is that some of the rope was wrapped / tangled at the end of the hammock, and when you got into the hammock, that tangle pulled out, releasing more rope and sounding like a knot slip, letting you hit the ground.

With the rather vague description you've given on how the hammock failed, that's my best guess at what happened - I'm not exactly a huge Hennessey fan, but would be shocked to see such a gross defect in the product out of the box.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    As an HH user myself I may or may not have some insight here. How high were the tree straps from the ground and how far apart were the trees? If you strung the hammock too tightly there is a fairly sizable drop when you load the hammock. I have ended up on the ground more than once until I got the method of hanging down.

The HH lashing needs to be done correctly or the ropes can slip. You may want to make sure you followed the pattern precisely. It can be rather confusing. That's one reason a lot of folks change the suspension system on their HH models to some other type. I personally use the webbing/ring buckle style myself but there are others that some folks like better.

As far as hanging the hammock... chose a tree spacing 13-16 feet or so. Put the tree huggers up fairly high on the tree. Mine a usually close to head height. Do NOT pull the hammock too tightly. I don't care what the Hennessy instructions say. You want the ridgeline just barely taut. If there is a sag in the suspension so much the better. You are ideally looking for an angle of 30* or so from the horizontal. Make sure the tree huggers are well tensioned to the trees and the lashing is properly done. My entrance is often high enough tht I have to pull down fairly hard to get my butt in. Keep trying because there is a learning curve involved. It took me a while to get the method down. I am reasonable consistent now.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast