ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie

Advice on ENO DN Whoopie Install

My brother and I are modifying our ENO's this weekend. This is what we have:

7/64 Amsteel 48' each to work with

ENO Pro straps

Here is what I plan to do:
    Adding Whoopie style to each end of my hammock. I am leaving the factory rope/knot in the ends and will loop attach the Amsteel to that. (I am paranoid about messing with the structure at the end of the hammock itself)

Trimming down the Pro straps to single attach loop. (Hoping to solve the stretch issue they have. Can't afford new straps at this time.)

Planning to use the Whoopie on each side to provide adjustable reach.

QUESTIONS: How much length should I use on either side of the hammock to make it the most versatile?

Should I make an adjustable ridgeline for the hammock itself?
    If yes, should that me removable?

As additional information, I will eventually purchase webbing and use a Marlin Spike setup.

Whoa , I almost sound like I know what I know I don't know, you know?
    ~KEN~

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    In reading some of the other threads on suspension, let me clarify something. I'm only looking for suggestions on how long I should make the line. We are planning to test it all out this weekend so I can tweak it then. I just want a decent strating point.
    ~KEN~

Hammock
    HH Expedition ASym
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ w/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I started out with 30' of amsteel and made 2 whoopies with it (one for each end) That ended me up with adjustability between about 22 inches and 7 feet (per side). This is longer than I usually need. I would make a 3rd whoopie for a ridgeline. Not sure what length to start with there to get an appropriate range of adjustment. Also note that 7/64 amsteel for a ridgeline is overkill and heavier than what you really need, but it's what you have, so why not, right?

Other things you can play with the spare amsteel would be some continuous loops and soft shackles. Could be handy to have around and fun to make if you're not sick of it by the time you finish the whoopies .

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by bwtruitt View Post
    I started out with 30' of amsteel and made 2 whoopies with it (one for each end) That ended me up with adjustability between about 22 inches and 7 feet (per side). This is longer than I usually need. I would make a 3rd whoopie for a ridgeline. Not sure what length to start with there to get an appropriate range of adjustment. Also note that 7/64 amsteel for a ridgeline is overkill and heavier than what you really need, but it's what you have, so why not, right?

Other things you can play with the spare amsteel would be some continuous loops and soft shackles. Could be handy to have around and fun to make if you're not sick of it by the time you finish the whoopies .
    Yep. That's what I have available. Ok, so you were happy with a starting length of roughly 15' per side. A range between 22" to 7' sounds very good.

I will probably work the ridgeline as a whoopie. I will test the droop I need or feels comfortable.

I will have to search for the soft shackles you mentioned. I am not familiar with that or what to use them for.
    ~KEN~

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    6-8 foot max is the norm, most will shrink down to the 18-24" range when made small.
    I did a super long set, waste of good cord IMO. You want some adjustability but over 10 is unneccessary.
    Opie's site has a good video. Pgibson, @ Arrowhead Equipment had a good pictorial too.
    Grizz's video series in the video gallery shows how-to as well. Pretty straight forward, non-destructive mod. Good Luck.
    6-8 foot whoopies will use 13-20 foot of cord, when you include the buries and such, roughly speaking. So plan accordingly, to use your rope's length
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    Perfect! Starting with 15' on each side should hit my target. I will have a bury locked with thread at my hammock end and the adjustable bury on the suspension side. I am planning to make that bury about 10".
    ~KEN~

Hammock
    HH Expedition ASym
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ w/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Also, when making the RL whoopie, remember to leave the tail end (the one with the fixed eye) longer than normal. You don't need the large range of adjustment here. To visualize it a bit better, make it so that the shortest the whoopie can get is 85 - 90" or so. Then the largest it can get should be in the 120" range.

I haven't done one up myself yet, I'm being lazy and buying one from arrowhead equipment, but I think 14 or 15 feet should get the job done...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwtruitt View Post
    Also, when making the RL whoopie, remember to leave the tail end (the one with the fixed eye) longer than normal. You don't need the large range of adjustment here. To visualize it a bit better, make it so that the shortest the whoopie can get is 85 - 90" or so. Then the largest it can get should be in the 120" range.

I haven't done one up myself yet, I'm being lazy and buying one from arrowhead equipment, but I think 14 or 15 feet should get the job done...
    13' on the ASR will net you 82" to 112" with a 6" adjustable bury.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    13' on the ASR will net you 82" to 112" with a 6" adjustable bury.
    I hate to drag this out, but what does ASR stand for?

And you are saying that it will adjust from 82" to 112"? I understand that is a rough estimate.
    I appreciate it.
    ~KEN~

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    ASR= Adjustable Structural Ridgeline. You said "RL whoopie."

If you start with 13', and splice a 2" fixed eye on one end with a 2" bury on the fixed eye. Then start the adjustable bury 76" from the end of the fixed eye and make it 6" long, you will have a range of adjustment of 82" to 112".

You can increase the range by simply starting with more line. If you want to have your adjustment start closer to 90, then simply move the start of the adjustable bury (its actually where the line exits the adjustable bury) the appropriate number of inches youd like to change it away from the fixed eye. i.e. if youd rather have 90 instead of 82, then move the start of your adjustable splice another 8" up the line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast