Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch

Whats the deal with the WarBonnet Hammock?

Anyone care to enlighten a Utah boy on what the deal is about the WB hammocks. I understand there is a foot-box and that this is a bit of a big deal. I've followed several threads on them, but I guess I'm just not getting what sets them apart. I know a bunch of people are gonna say comfort, I get that, what makes it comfortable?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Well, the footbox makes it comfortable because it helps you to get a flatter lay. And the shelf is awesome, it's a great place to put small stuff that you want to get to while you are in the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    The warbonnet is a very long hammock with a lot of sag. Furthermore, it has a unique whipping method which gathers the end in a way that lets you really lay on a deep diagonal. Combine that with the footbox, which lets you stretch your feet all the way out right, to the point where they would be on the verge of falling out of other hammocks, and you can get really flat and comfortable.

The extra perks, like the shelf and spacious netting, are just icing on the cake.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Alright, tell me more about this whipping method? Any particular thread I can reference for it? Is the foot box created by the whipping or is it extra fabric?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    It is a very well made and neatly (as in not untidily) constructed hammock.
    A well thought out design.
    The bug net is spacious and the long zipper makes it easy to get in and out.
    I like the side pullouts and the shelf is a nice alternative to my usual solution of my gear loft on the ridgeline hanging in my face.

Besides, it just looks cool: the design is visually appealing and that is important to me, even in the backwoods!
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    The whipping creates the shape and lay of the fabric - basically, the end of the hammock is a sewn channel, but instead of simply passing the suspension rope through this channel, like in an ENO-style hammock, a bit of string is passed through the channel, then pulled tight like a cinch strap on a stuff sack, curling the end of the hammock into a donut shape, which is then wrapped with the whipping string to make a large mass of fabric, which curls the hammock into its unique shape. The hammock is suspended by girth hitching the suspension line to this whipping mass.

The footbox is simply a triangular-shaped piece of fabric attached to the top of the hammock, to shape the foot end of the hammock. By putting fabric over the top, you make it so your feet can push all the way into the box and stretch the fabric out underneath you. With no footbox, pushing your feet out that far would make it easier for your quilt to fall off, or for your feet to fall out of the end of the hammock.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Topplestack View Post
    Alright, tell me more about this whipping method? Any particular thread I can reference for it? Is the foot box created by the whipping or is it extra fabric?
    Instead of a true whipping, the hammock has a channel along the two ends. A line is run thru this channel and then the line is tightened and wrapped around the hammock end forming an end knob to attach your suspension. I know thats not clear and that there are illustrations somewhere - but can't seem to find them.

The footbox is formed from an extra triangle of material between the bottom of the hammock and the bug net - see pictures on the Warbonnet web page. I just added one to my DIY hammock and it causes my feet to lie lower than usual in a hammock.

Hammock
    1.7 dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    The Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    40deg sleepingbag
    I'd suggest taking a peek at Shug's Hammock-How-tos Part 4. In this episode he shows off the Blackbird, its features, and other nifty stuff about it. Besides it being a video you get a real good look inside and out.
    "By endevoring to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his *** in the bargin." - Aesop, had it figured out some 2500 years ago.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Warbonnet whipping method by Knotty. Doesn't seem like much but it makes a difference. Thanks Knotty!!!! you da man!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Warbonnet whipping method by Knotty. Doesn't seem like much but it makes a difference. Thanks Knotty!!!! you da man!
    Thanks, Gargoyle. Thats what I was looking for. This method gives a good flat lay to the hammock without the high ridges that you get from some of the other methods (W- whipping, etc.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast