Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

Need advice on gear purchases

Hi,

I am planning on buying a JRB BMB for three seasons in New England so I expect to see night time temperatures down to freezing or lower on occasion.

I am trying to decide whether to go with the JRB complete three season set or buy individual components.

I think I need the MW 3 [or MW 4, if the temp ratings are optimisitic] rather than standard HR UQ. Is there a downside, besides weight and bulk, to having the warmer UQ than what is needed? Will I end up sweatiing in the summer with a MW 3?

I know I would never wear the no-shiveller around camp and I have gear I think I can use as over quilts; would a down sleeping bag [true 15 deg F] or a mid weight fleece blanket be decent alternatives? Again I understand there may be a weight penalty but my primary reason for getting a hammock is to allow for easier "off trail" camp site selections as opposed to reducing weight.
    I always bring a set of smartwool tops and bottoms so I expect I won't need an over quilt in the summer.

Is the JRB 11x10 tarp well liked? The MacCat tarp [the large size - ultra]looks very nice and I "think" I am more likely to go with a-frame set-up rather than the baker hut set-up.

Thanks,
    Tommy

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I love my JRB 11 x 10 tarp. If you are not worried about weight, then a big tarp is the way to go. I like with the JRB that I have the choice in how to set it up. In colder temps I go with A-Frame and criss-cross the bottom of one end for a wind block that entirely closes up without the added expense of doors.

As for the type of quilts, it depends. What temperatures will you be camping in most? Are you a cold sleeper or a hot sleeper? Do you want to extend your camping season into colder temps? Most people find they are so comfortable in hammocks that they do end up extending their season into colder temps. I have a JRB Mt. Wash 4 UQ and a No Sniv topquilt. I also use my Western Mt. Summerlite bag in summer as a topquilt.

Personally I usually go a bit warmer with quilts. Find it's easier to vent a quilt to cool off. Others do the opposite. They get lighter quilts knowing they can wear additional clothing to keep warm. Personal choice and style of camping.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My Hudson River top quilt is wonderful!!!!!!!!!
    Used it on my 8 day Linville Gorge trip in lots of different temps.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Clarification, only use the Mt. 4 in cold spring/fall and winter. I have other stuff for summer.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    hey Tommy, if you're in worcester, there's a few of us up the pike a way's... anyway i've seen and own some JRB Products and its all good stuff. but being from the general area that you're in i know that you might definitely be too warm in a mw4 for everything except dead winter.

let me know if you can set something and we'll hike out somewhere and show you some of my stuff or if you have questions or just want to see something let me know...
    Sebastian

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Hi,

I would definately like to see your set-up.

I would even drive out there to see it set-up in your backyard or on the town commons.

I am slowly getting back into hiking shape by taking trips up to Monadnock.

No sense driving to the White Mts or the Long Trail when Monadnock isn't a quick, fun, hike yet.

I have been looking at getting the BMB and their tarp and using my BA bag and pad.

Tom Murphy

TJM, I have a Mt Washinton 4 for sale in the trading post here.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Others do the opposite.
    I'm the exact opposite, and prone to being sweatty.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    ... and using my BA bag and pad.
    If you're not opposed to using a pad I'd recommend a JRB Mount Washington 3 Convertible (MW3 convert). I use the 2/3 underquilt durring the summer. That quilt with it's companion is good to 20F and with a pad I think I could go to at least 0F. Of course it must be matched with a proper topquilt or sleeping bag.

This is how I do it;
    Temps above 75F I use my 60F Eureka biker bag ac a tq.
    Temps above 55F I use my 2/3 MW3 convert as an uq and my 60F Eureka biker bag as a tq
    Temps above 40F I use my 2/3 MW3 convert with it's companion as an uq and my JRB Shenandoah as a tq.
    Temps above 20F I use my 2/3 MW3 convert with it's companion as an uq and my JRB Rocky Mountain Sniveler as a tq.
    Temps under 20F I use my 2/3 MW3 convert with it's companion as an uq along with a Thermarest pad and my JRB Rocky Mountain Sniveler as a tq.

When it gets under 50F I wear a stocking cap and a fleece top. When it gets below freezing I add poly pro longjohns. when it gets below 10F I add down drawers, a down vest and a scarf. I'm a warm sleeper and here in Minnesota, when it's very cold, the winter air is quite dry so that helps too, but if it's windy out I adjust my system to the wind chill.

I hope that my experience helps you decide.
    P.S. Jacks-R-Better make an excellent product and have great customer service. They would be the best to contact about their products.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

thanks

Beast, thank you for the breakdown.

Thru the summer, autumn, and into the winter, I am going to figure out how far I can extend using the gear I have.

I have used the following gear in various combinations down to -5 deg F and don't feel like I have found the lower limit. Of course that experience was on snow in a 3 season tent.

Z-rest pad
    BA insulated aircore pad
    MARMOT down sleeping bag [true 15 deg F]
    BA synthetic sleeping bag [~ 25-30 deg F]
    thin wool top and bottom layers
    second set of wool socks [oversized]
    wool hat
    wool liner gloves
    poly-pro balaclava

I really like the differential cut of the MW3 and MW4. That will be the one thing I won't be able to duplicate easily.

Thanks again.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    It looks like you already have enough good gear to get you through winter. In a hammock the trick is having enough bottom insulation so you don't roll off of it and get cold spots. You should look at a SPE (Speer Pad Extender) on Ed Speer's website http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm . They help keep your shoulders from getting cold. I just have to say again I really like my JRB Mount Washington 3 convertible quilt alot. For me, with a little supplementation with a pad, it is a true 4 season quilt .

• + New Posts