Thread: Rolling Hitch

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs

Rolling Hitch

Ok, still haven't got my Amsteel yet to make some Whoopies, but I've had another thought. I just learned the rolling hitch from this site http://www.animatedknots.com/rolling...AAEgAAAGiDEQA=

I'm fairly sure that I want to use it on my tarp suspension. That or a prusik. But I also got to thinking about using it on my HH suspension, as opposed to adding the WS. My idea is to make a loop in the stock suspension using a rolling hitch with another rolling hitch to back it up.

"However, in critical applications some authorities recommend using the bitter end to tie a second Rolling Hitch beyond the first." quoted from the website in the "Under Load" section.

I would then put the loop around my toggle in my tree hugger. From what I can tell the rolling hitch won't slip under load and will slide fairly easily when not under load. Does this sound like a good idea or is my butt going to have a close encounter with the ground?
    ~We all start at the bottom~

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    It's a good idea worth trying (make sure you have some padding underneath or hang low). You might also consider using a Blake's Hitch.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truehart View Post
    Ok, still haven't got my Amsteel yet to make some Whoopies, but I've had another thought. I just learned the rolling hitch from this site http://www.animatedknots.com/rolling...AAEgAAAGiDEQA=

I'm fairly sure that I want to use it on my tarp suspension. That or a prusik. But I also got to thinking about using it on my HH suspension, as opposed to adding the WS. My idea is to make a loop in the stock suspension using a rolling hitch with another rolling hitch to back it up.

"However, in critical applications some authorities recommend using the bitter end to tie a second Rolling Hitch beyond the first." quoted from the website in the "Under Load" section.

I would then put the loop around my toggle in my tree hugger. From what I can tell the rolling hitch won't slip under load and will slide fairly easily when not under load. Does this sound like a good idea or is my butt going to have a close encounter with the ground?
    If you don't have a trail-name yet, this will give you one. "Ground Hog".
    Friction hitches on cord like Amsteel are an accident waiting to happen. You should be thinkin jammin hitches, mon.

That said, I use this hitch on an adjustable structural ridgeline, using Lash-It, which is pretty slippery stuff. I reckon it holds to, I dunno, maybe 50 lbs, enough for my ridgeline. I give it an extra loop around to create a big kink in the rope at the hitch. The kink keeps it holding, for a while. A bit difficult to slide when I want it to slide, but that's a good thing.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    If you don't have a trail-name yet, this will give you one. "Ground Hog".
    LOL

Friction hitches on cord like Amsteel are an accident waiting to happen. You should be thinkin jammin hitches, mon.
    I plan on trying it with the stock HH suspension cordage which has more friction than the Amsteel. Is it still a bad idea?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truehart View Post
    LOL

I plan on trying it with the stock HH suspension cordage which has more friction than the Amsteel. Is it still a bad idea?
    ah. Friction-wise you have a chance. The HH cordage I know is too stiff to form up the tight loops that cause a kink in the line and stop the slippage.

but try it, try it! Set up a tripod and film! Make sure your life insurance is paid up first though.... <grin>
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    I'll let you know how it goes. Will you send flowers to the hospital?
    Nah, I'll try it with some kind of dead weight, first, due to your knowlegable warning. Then, maybe I'll test it with my own carcass

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    I've got a HH and the stock suspension. I use adjustable grip hitches for my setup. They work great. Instead of 3 rounds I add a fourth as insurance. Real fast to tie, adjustable, and easy to untie.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Another name for this is the Taut-Line Hitch. If you tie it with a third turn inside the bight, it will add additional friction, which may or may not be enough to overcome the slipperiness of the Amsteel. (I don't know, haven't used Amsteel, myself, yet.)

Otherwise, I use this not in normal cord all the time. It's pretty darn useful.

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    Quote Originally Posted by JBRanger View Post
    I've got a HH and the stock suspension. I use adjustable grip hitches for my setup. They work great. Instead of 3 rounds I add a fourth as insurance. Real fast to tie, adjustable, and easy to untie.
    I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ghandrick View Post
    Another name for this is the Taut-Line Hitch. If you tie it with a third turn inside the bight, it will add additional friction, which may or may not be enough to overcome the slipperiness of the Amsteel. (I don't know, haven't used Amsteel, myself, yet.)

Otherwise, I use this not in normal cord all the time. It's pretty darn useful.
    There's an idea, as well. I've definitely got a few options to try.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    The 3rd turn is exactly what I was referring to. Thanks for making it easier to understand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast