Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Challenge

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    The Claytor Jungle Hammock has a double bottom for a pad. Unlike the other hammocks which I have slept in I find that the pad does not move around at night in the Claytor .. It is my favorite inexpensive hammock. It is only hammock I would use when using a pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Being as hydrated as possible before getting above 6,000', then staying very hydrated will reduce, or often eliminate, symptoms of altitude sickness.
    Oddly enough, it has to be pure water. If it contains impurities like barley, hops, and malt, it doesn't work. Very weird.

The other really cool trick I've learned out here, and weighs a whole bunch less than water, is Tums.
    *cough* *cough* placebo *mumble*

What? Did somebody say something?

Boris

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I've felt minor altitude effects at 4,000 to 6,000 ft.

When Skippy, Hedcase and I climbed to the highest point in Big Bend Natl Park in March, we were seriously affected before we got close the the summit at 7800 ft.
    Three months removed from Georgia, and Colorado altitude kicks my butt on a regular basis. Many of my hikes start in the 7-8000 ft range - for example, the trailhead of the recent CO Spring Hang was at 8200 feet.

Somehow, I've managed to avoid getting anything worse than a mild headache, but what really kills me is just getting worn down and running out of breath. I'm no model of cardiovascular fitness, but climbing a hundred feet of elevation in the mountains here feels like climbing a thousand back home. Absolutely brutal.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    Oddly enough, it has to be pure water. If it contains impurities like barley, hops, and malt, it doesn't work. Very weird.
    Yeah, somehow it just doesn't seem fair. On the upside, it doesn't take much of that flavored water to do the trick at altitude.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Standard Fly
    Insulation
    Pad if needed
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    Athletically built? I'll betcha lunch that you hate the $99 Hennessy unless these athletes are jockeys. Being teens might help, but they'd better spend an hour or two laying in the hammocks before they commit to multiple nights in them.

You're not planning to try to camp at 13,000', are you? Humans have a 1 in 5 chance of having altitude sickness symptoms by the time they get to 10,000' even if they live in Colorado and think they're an altitude stud. At 13,000' it's pretty much a guarantee that at least one person will have a major headache and you never know when the barf-atron will fire up. Also, what are you going to tie the hammocks to? There are no trees at 13,000 feet. If you're all rock climbers, and have your gear with you, that's another story. If not, get back down at least below tree line.

Boris

Haha no, we're certainly NOT camping that high!!! Yeah we're gonna have altitude problems... We're from Louisiana . Last year one girl had to quit on the first day because of altitude sickness.

And it sounds like my buddies like the claytor. Sounds like all 3 are going to get it (with the discount )
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Louisiana?!?! You're investing a lot of time/effort/money in this. Talk to your doctor about Diamox. It actually works and it's not expensive.

Boris

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Standard Fly
    Insulation
    Pad if needed
    Yeah it is a pretty awesome trip is it not?! We don't quite have nice rocky brooks or mountaintop views down here, but we like to get some of that every now and then. Although, we do have more water. There's a ditch behind my house that's sometimes bigger than parts of the Colorado river.

And I will see about the altitude drug stuff or whatever you mentioned. Thanks!
    Last edited by Powerbird; 05-29-2010 at 16:20. Reason: Had more to say...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    Trek Light, ENO, Warbonnet Traveller, Grand Trunk; there are lots of them that are both quality and below $100!
    What part of the Rockies? If it's in Colorado, I might be able lend a hand with the outfitting. I've got one, maybe two, extra hammocks around the house.

these are the kind of people that make the world go round,,,
    good stuff,,,,,

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345