Summer Festival Hanging (Bonnaroo)

So I plan bringing my HH Expedition to Bonnaroo this year (Manchester, TN), and because this may be the first chance I get to use it in a real-time situation I have a few questions.

As far as insulation goes, where should my concerns lie? This will be my first time at Bonnaroo also, so I do not know what to expect. **It should be noted this is far from my first time camping, but easily my first time with a hammock.** However, I expect that the days will be warm to sweating-hot and the nights will be chilly to warm. Also, rain is a definite possibility so, the humidity/mugginess is a factor I am also considering.

My setup thus far is the HH, a stake bag with 4 stakes and 2x 50' utility rope. Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve?

My immediate future plans (aka after work today ) entail me going to walmart and picking up 2x CCF pads. My motive here is to increase comfortability while sleeping more so than providing insulation -- but I don't know if a pad is necessary or not!!

Lastly, should I include a sleeping bag in my setup? I am reluctant because I picture it being too warm at the festival to be useful. But then again, I'm the noob here.
    Thanks!

-legs

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Do not leave your ham oak unattended, we got stuff stolen both times we went to bonnaroo

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Not trying to tell you not to bring a hammock but as a bonnaroo vet, I would def be careful about leaving my hammock un-attended at bonnaroo. The times Ive been their ive seen some bad stuff which is one reason I no longer attend and stick with smaller family style festivals where I still wont bring a hammock. I would also be concerned about finding trees to actually hang from, their arent many if none at all in the camp grounds. For bonnaroo I bought a $20 wally world tent and left empty during the day and valuables locked up in my car. I did not bring any thing that was of any real value or could not be easily replaced. But again the biggest concern I would have would be simply finding trees to hang from.

Now to answer your question more directly, if you do use a hammock. A pad does not neccessarly make it more comfortable but it certainly will act as you bottom insulation. I dont know what the temps are going to be like but if it dips below 65 at night youll probally def want under insulation and for top insulation because you dont have to carry it id suggest a light fleece blanket or something like that as opposed to a sleeping bag which is bigger bulkier and may be to hot for TN temps this time of year although I dont know the weather report. Hope this helps have fun and safe travles
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll have to be extra cautious if I decide to bring the hammy.

Are either of you familiar with the volunteer campground? Are there any trees or spots to hang there?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Their are no trees any where on the camp ground mabey one here one their but it is 400 plus acres of flat farm land. Un-less you bring some sort of hammock stand ill reiterate that IMHO it will be very difficult useing a hammock. Its like trying to find two trees above tree line on a mt top. Not trying to come across as rude just trying to make you aware. Have fun though
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

No worries, I appreciate the honesty. I will have a tent there as well because I am volunteering with a friend, but I was really hoping I could hang. Thanks again!

Sadly i am going to miss out on boneroo however my brother is going right after highschool graduation and it sounds like a great time.
    on a more serious note... i have seen people hang between a single tree and the cars roof rack if you are lucky enough to have both of these things.
    second... I am a noob when it comes to hanging ( however i have done the most camping out of anyone i personaly know) and would say that a pad in a hammock can be very difficult when laying on a diagonal and ccf pads always bunch up under me. That is just my personal experience (or lack there of...)

@convertee - Have you tried cutting the CCF pad to the shape of your body? Or cut it in sections? See some of the DIY CCF insulation pads and SPEs on here for some ideas.
    -legs

thanks for the advice. i hadnt thought about that but i am off to search for the best idea on here and then see how it works. (Im also going to go buy my hammock today!)

• + New Posts