Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images

Need DIY under quilt idea's

Talking season and a half (down to ~40 deg F).
    Canoe campers, size matters, but not gram weenies.
    Father daughter sewing project, no super secret double gainer-upside down-draconian askian hitch knots, just plain old sewing.

What shell material?
    What insulation material?
    I was thinking about sewing 3 small "loops" on each side of our HH's (were the bug net meets the nylon), then sewing about 4" shock cord with toggles on the edges of the under quilt (3 on each side), these toggles would just clip into each loop to hold the quilt to the hammock????

Let me know your every thought!

Thanks,
    Slack

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    DIY synthetic rectangle couldn't get much easier. WW RS on bot sides climashield or WW poly mat insulation on the inside. Quick easy and effective.

Jbo

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Climashield is top-notch synthetic insulation, and the cost is not too out-of line with good quality quilt batting, but FAR more compressible and much lighter. I sleep COLD so an UQ that would take some down to 30 degrees takes me down to high 30s at best, you'll need to take that into consideration when choosing the thickness of your insulation.

I agree with JBO_C that a simple right-sized rectangle is the way to go.

Take a look at available UQ sizes and decide for yourself what you want.

For 1.5 season, I'd go with a 2/3rds quilt, 45"-48" wide for the adult size and 48"-52" long. If weight isn't an issue, many people like full-length quilts. My Son (5' tall) uses a 52" quilt without any supplemental insulation.

Grosgrain loops on each of the corners, channels on the ends with shock cord and cordlocks to cinch them up and you're done!

For climashield, all you need to do is sew the perimeter to your fabric and you're good. You might want to make the outer shell a bit larger so it doesn't compress the climashield.

Sclittlefield has olive ripstop that's lightweight (1.1oz/yd) and cheap at $2.75/yd) I made a hammock and TQ from it. It's wide enough to make a quilt from 1.5 yards per side. (He has woodland camo, too)

The other option: double layer Insultex. It would be an easier build and very lightweight.

YMMV

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Is 1.9 ripstop to thick for a summer UQ ?
    I need "navy" color, cant find it in 1.1oz.

Thanks,
    Slack

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Last edited by hangnout; 05-29-2010 at 11:17.

"Grosgrain loops on each of the corners, channels on the ends with shock cord and cordlocks to cinch them up and you're done!

For climashield, all you need to do is sew the perimeter to your fabric and you're good. You might want to make the outer shell a bit larger so it doesn't compress the climashield."

Hmmm....would you put shock cords just on the short ends, or all the way around? Are the loops just for attachment to the hammock?

I have a HH expedition asym zip that I just got on sale at REI ($99 this weekend), and I didn't realize I'd need an underquilt for it too, so I'm trying to do it as affordably as possible. I'm thinking a 50"x72" (I'm small, but want a bit extra, for my dog), which means I just need 2 yards of the climashield xp 5" (thanks for the 1.1 tip--I just got 4 yards of that). Any suggestions to make this easier to use, or lighter, or warmer, would be much appreciated. You think tapering it so it's not rectangular is more trouble than it's worth?

thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    I've made a couple and I can't get them to behave the way I like without channels and shock cord all the way around. I think others have, so maybe it's me. Last time I helped a buddy make one, he tried skipping channels and using loops. He ended up sewing channels on afterwards. Wasn't nearly as easy as planning them in to begin with.

YMMV

Jbo

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Thanks,
    I think I will put channels on all sides, then see what works best.

Slack

Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    I've made a couple and I can't get them to behave the way I like without channels and shock cord all the way around. I think others have, so maybe it's me. Last time I helped a buddy make one, he tried skipping channels and using loops. He ended up sewing channels on afterwards. Wasn't nearly as easy as planning them in to begin with.

YMMV

Jbo
    jbo_c--what are your grosgrain loops for? what kind of suspension are you using? I was assuming I'd just attach mitten clips or something to the end shock cords, then attach that to my HH. I think I'll make the channels on all 4 sides, to be safe. did you do this by making the underside of the UQ ripstop longer, then folding it over and sewing it into a channel when the main portion of the UQ was done, and turned rightside out again? finally--did you actually sew the climashield to the ripstop, or simply sew the ripstop top & bottom to each other immediately next to the climashield?

thanks very much.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    I don't use loops.

I make my channels independently. Not sure exactly what your idea is but it sounds
    like something I considered then ruled out.

Jbo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast