Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UL tent camper from Eastern NC - Looking to give hanging a try.

Hello All!

I have been into backpacking for the last 3 years and am mostly a (long) weekend warrior, but hope to do some longer trips in the future. I am a gear nerd and over the past 3 years have dialed in my gear to a pretty good ultralight ground-camping setup that I am happy with for the most part. However, I still struggle to get a good, comfortable night's sleep. I have been through 4 different sleeping pads, and find myself still looking for the next pad to try out.

I have watched lots of backpacking videos, and may of those folks are hammock campers, and seem to really like it. I have always dismissed hammock camping for me because my only experience with hammocks has been cheap hammocks that were probably 8 or 9 feet long at the most. I have only tried hammocks out for a short period of time. I have never slept overnight in one. Also, I am a side sleeper and, until recently, didn't realize side sleeping is possible in hammocks. I now understand that if I tried a longer/wider hammock I would be able to get a flatter lay and be more comfortable.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to try out a decent hammock without spending a lot of money on it. I would like to try it out on my next trip, which will be in early April in the NC mountains, so will need decent insulation as well. I have a 20 degree EE quilt and several different types of pads I could use. I just hear it can be tricky to keep a pad under you in a hammock. I don't really want to invest in a underquilt yet, until I know I am going to stick with hammocking. I won't need a bug net for this trip, but was thinking that I want to get a hammock that has that option so that in the future I will be able to add one. Because I am a newb and don't know what I will want/like in the future, I am leaning toward the Chameleon. Not sure if I need a regular or wide version. I am 5'10, 235lbs, and want to get as flat a lay as possible.

1. What are your thoughts on using a pad(s) vs underquilt for temperatures in the 30's (F)?
    2. Is the Chameleon a good hammock to start with?
    3. I think I want an 11' hammock but not sure on the width. What width do you recommend?
    4. I have a 10x10 tarp that I am hoping to use to start with. Can I turn this on the diagonal to get enough coverage for an 11' hammock?
    5. I'm so new I don't know what I don't know, so any other advice for getting started would be appreciated. I have watched a lot of videos on YouTube and have lurked around this forum a little bit, but I still don't know much.

Thanks,
    Todd

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tak2w View Post
    Hello All!

I have been into backpacking for the last 3 years and am mostly a (long) weekend warrior, but hope to do some longer trips in the future. I am a gear nerd and over the past 3 years have dialed in my gear to a pretty good ultralight ground-camping setup that I am happy with for the most part. However, I still struggle to get a good, comfortable night's sleep. I have been through 4 different sleeping pads, and find myself still looking for the next pad to try out.

I have watched lots of backpacking videos, and may of those folks are hammock campers, and seem to really like it. I have always dismissed hammock camping for me because my only experience with hammocks has been cheap hammocks that were probably 8 or 9 feet long at the most. I have only tried hammocks out for a short period of time. I have never slept overnight in one. Also, I am a side sleeper and, until recently, didn't realize side sleeping is possible in hammocks. I now understand that if I tried a longer/wider hammock I would be able to get a flatter lay and be more comfortable.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to try out a decent hammock without spending a lot of money on it. I would like to try it out on my next trip, which will be in early April in the NC mountains, so will need decent insulation as well. I have a 20 degree EE quilt and several different types of pads I could use. I just hear it can be tricky to keep a pad under you in a hammock. I don't really want to invest in a underquilt yet, until I know I am going to stick with hammocking. I won't need a bug net for this trip, but was thinking that I want to get a hammock that has that option so that in the future I will be able to add one. Because I am a newb and don't know what I will want/like in the future, I am leaning toward the Chameleon. Not sure if I need a regular or wide version. I am 5'10, 235lbs, and want to get as flat a lay as possible.

1. What are your thoughts on using a pad(s) vs underquilt for temperatures in the 30's (F)? If your pad has the proper R-Rating for temps in the 30s or below you should be good. Could possibly get some condensation.
    2. Is the Chameleon a good hammock to start with? It is a very comfortable hammock and a very good one. Lots of add-on options as well.
    3. I think I want an 11' hammock but not sure on the width. What width do you recommend? I would recommend a regular width with your height. But eventually only you can figure that out. You could always exchange it.
    4. I have a 10x10 tarp that I am hoping to use to start with. Can I turn this on the diagonal to get enough coverage for an 11' hammock? Sure you can. You will lose some side coverage that may not be great in a big rainstorm.
    5. I'm so new I don't know what I don't know, so any other advice for getting started would be appreciated. I have watched a lot of videos on YouTube and have lurked around this forum a little bit, but I still don't know much.

Thanks,
    Todd
    My responses are in red above.
    These may give insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks Shug! Thanks for the reply. I have watched many of your videos and have been subscribed to you for a while now....you are always very entertaining!

I'm not sure about the double layered hammock...seems like it ads a lot of weight, and, if I stick with hammocking, I'm pretty sure I will invest in an underquilt in the future. Do you think I would be okay with putting a pad(s) in a single layer? I have the following pads I could use:

1. Z-Lite SOL clone that is wider than the Z-Lite (23" or 25"?)
    2. Neoair XTherm - very warm pad, but only 20" wide.
    3. Big Agnes AXL Air Insulated 25" wide - Very comfortable thick pad, but not very warm.
    4. Gossamer Gear 1/8" foam pad.
    5. Reflectix - 24" wide (slippery)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks Shug! Thanks for the reply. I have watched many of your videos and have been subscribed to you for a while now....you are always very entertaining!

I'm not sure about the double layered hammock...seems like it ads a lot of weight, and, if I stick with hammocking, I'm pretty sure I will invest in an underquilt in the future. Do you think I would be okay with putting a pad(s) in a single layer? I have the following pads I could use:

1. Z-Lite SOL clone that is wider than the Z-Lite (23" or 25"?)
    2. Neoair XTherm - very warm pad, but only 20" wide.
    3. Big Agnes AXL Air Insulated 25" wide - Very comfortable thick pad, but not very warm.
    4. Gossamer Gear 1/8" foam pad.
    5. Reflectix - 24" wide (slippery)
    Yes your OK to do that. That is what I always did in my early hammock days.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums.

I was pretty overwhelmed at first and attended a hang. I didn’t know anybody and thought wow this is weird hanging out with strangers from the internet. But they were very welcoming. And many allowed me to lay on their rig, check out their tarps, etc. It allowed me to get a hammock still being used today - well my daughter took it over.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Hello All!

1. What are your thoughts on using a pad(s) vs underquilt for temperatures in the 30's (F)?
    2. Is the Chameleon a good hammock to start with?
    3. I think I want an 11' hammock but not sure on the width. What width do you recommend?
    4. I have a 10x10 tarp that I am hoping to use to start with. Can I turn this on the diagonal to get enough coverage for an 11' hammock?

Thanks,
    Todd
    Hey Todd, welcome to the hanging life. You won't go back to tents, trust me. I came from UL tenting too and never could get a comfortable sleep regardless of the pads, etc. I'd never slept in a hammock so I was afraid of buying the basic gear just to get started but it was the best gamble i've taken.

1. I started with an underquilt in the hammock and hated it. Regardless of how much or little my airpads were inflated I always rolled off. I'm a side sleeper so but going between my back and side always cause my air pads to slip. I switched to CCF pads and only found 1 that really worked for me. The big agnes third degree foam pad is awful. It felt like it pulled my hair out whenever I rotated positions. The nemo switchback and therma rest z lite were alright but I always felt "burrito'ed" when i laid on them... the side always squeeze me in. I then used the therm a rest ridge rest SOLite and it worked great. Cut the corners off the pad so you can lay it on the angle you want. Once on it, it forms the hammock and always stayed in the same place throughout the night and even after getting out of the hammock. I've only used it to 50 or so though so maybe someone else has experience with the pad in those temps.

2. The chameleon is fantastic. Sure, there are a few some what lighter hammocks but the chameleon is so versatile it will be a "lets go to the park", go summer backpacking, winter backpacking or backyard lounging hammock with all the mods you can do to it.

3. 11 definitely! I'm 5'9... 5'10 on my best days and the 11 ft chameleon is perfect. I'm 180 and have the regular width. Id just assume the wide would add more weight and fall over at the head and foot ends. I don't understand why people need a wide unless there crazy tall.

4. If you turned it diagonal, yes. IDK how youd do that though. I'f you like hammocking, go for a CF or Sil poly tarp. Sil poly are much more price friendly but CF is so light and awesome to use.

Advice. Whoopie slings are trickier to use in my opinion then the becket hitch or strap with hooks such as the beetle buckles. I started with lightweight tree straps with whoopies and there are so many variables to using them. I switched to the 1.5 spider straps (12 ft) and the becket hitch. Easy peezy. Oh.... and be careful on dutches website. Youll end up buying everything. Been there HA!

Happy Hanging
    Justin

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    My responses are in red above.
    These may give insight.
    Shug

Shug! You gonna be doing any crazy cold hammock camping and pulk pulling this week? I can't get over the -40 degree temps you brave. I'd love the experience myself but NC isn't quite on that level.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

I was pretty overwhelmed at first and attended a hang. I didn’t know anybody and thought wow this is weird hanging out with strangers from the internet. But they were very welcoming. And many allowed me to lay on their rig, check out their tarps, etc. It allowed me to get a hammock still being used today - well my daughter took it over.
    Thanks for the reply. I just noticed today that there was a hang near me at Medoc Mountain this past weekend. Dang! I wish I had seen that sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by wvumountaineer52 View Post
    Hey Todd, welcome to the hanging life. You won't go back to tents, trust me. I came from UL tenting too and never could get a comfortable sleep regardless of the pads, etc. I'd never slept in a hammock so I was afraid of buying the basic gear just to get started but it was the best gamble i've taken.

1. I started with an underquilt in the hammock and hated it. Regardless of how much or little my airpads were inflated I always rolled off. I'm a side sleeper so but going between my back and side always cause my air pads to slip. I switched to CCF pads and only found 1 that really worked for me. The big agnes third degree foam pad is awful. It felt like it pulled my hair out whenever I rotated positions. The nemo switchback and therma rest z lite were alright but I always felt "burrito'ed" when i laid on them... the side always squeeze me in. I then used the therm a rest ridge rest SOLite and it worked great. Cut the corners off the pad so you can lay it on the angle you want. Once on it, it forms the hammock and always stayed in the same place throughout the night and even after getting out of the hammock. I've only used it to 50 or so though so maybe someone else has experience with the pad in those temps.

2. The chameleon is fantastic. Sure, there are a few some what lighter hammocks but the chameleon is so versatile it will be a "lets go to the park", go summer backpacking, winter backpacking or backyard lounging hammock with all the mods you can do to it.

3. 11 definitely! I'm 5'9... 5'10 on my best days and the 11 ft chameleon is perfect. I'm 180 and have the regular width. Id just assume the wide would add more weight and fall over at the head and foot ends. I don't understand why people need a wide unless there crazy tall.

4. If you turned it diagonal, yes. IDK how youd do that though. I'f you like hammocking, go for a CF or Sil poly tarp. Sil poly are much more price friendly but CF is so light and awesome to use.

Advice. Whoopie slings are trickier to use in my opinion then the becket hitch or strap with hooks such as the beetle buckles. I started with lightweight tree straps with whoopies and there are so many variables to using them. I switched to the 1.5 spider straps (12 ft) and the becket hitch. Easy peezy. Oh.... and be careful on dutches website. Youll end up buying everything. Been there HA!

Happy Hanging
    Justin
    Thanks for all the great advice, Justin. I see you are Apex...not too far down the road from me. My daughter just graduated from Campbell, in Buies Creek.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Thanks for all the great advice, Justin. I see you are Apex...not too far down the road from me. My daughter just graduated from Campbell, in Buies Creek.
    Yep! Great area. If your ever want to get out for a weekend trip let me know. I'm also trying to get to Uwharrie for the weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast