Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

MMG IX TQ - Insultex Top Quilt

After a couple of weeks using a prototype IX TQ, I completed the first Molly Mac Gear IX TQ today.

There was one thorny problem to overcome. Stormcrow and I encountered the same issue with an IX TQ: your torso is warm and toasty, but your legs can get clammy. I figure that is because the foot end becomes a dead air space when you get all wrapped up in it. So, I experimented with two or three different ways to overcome the clammy leg syndrome. The final solution came during a conversation with Pedro on the telephone. He suggested making the footbox really long, and I thought, how about if it comes to a point and gets tied up to the hammock end? That way, it insulates the foot end of the hammock as well. (...reminds me of the Grinch and his cap.)

So, here is a double layer MMG IX UQ with a small loop of shock cord so you can suspend the foot end. Of course, it may not be necessary to tie it up... it all depends on the occupant and the conditions.

It measures 42" X 90". The Double Layer IX TQ is over 4 yards of Insultex, and weighs 8.5 oz. The Single Layer IX TQ is about 4.5 oz. The long edges are roll hemmed. The top edge is folded so the sleeper will feel nothing but soft Insultex. The whole thing packs down to about a gallon for the double (pictured below), half gallon for the single. It costs $35 for a single layer, $45 for a double layer.

I can't wait for winter, so I can try this IX TQ on top of a Speer Top Blanket!

Here are some pictures.

- MacEntyre
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 06-01-2010 at 06:28.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    ...aaaaaand there's ANOTHER bit of gear that I'll want to add to my stash. My disposable income can't keep up with your new products!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Thing1 slept with the new MMG IX TQ, with good results. She said she would prefer a single layer, though, for the higher indoor temps.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    Mac,

So basically you need a pocket of air to maintain warmth with IX?
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peg-Leg View Post
    So basically you need a pocket of air to maintain warmth with IX?
    You could call it a pocket of air... I think of it as minimal contact. Like a bridal veil.

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 06-02-2010 at 20:49.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Looks sweet Mac! I'd really like to try one of these quilts, but I really need to save my pennies.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB Stealth / Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Does the dual layer have insul-tubes like the IX underquilts?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    When I make a three layer IX TQ for winter use, I will make the entire middle piece an InsulTubes layer, with full length pleats spaced across the full width.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    A month ago I went to one of your UQ's and like it.

I'd like to replace an OLD (late 70'S) down quilt which currently I rate at 40* for ground sleeping but mostly use in summer in the hammock, sometimes with a light ripstop cover it that looks just like your TQ.

Roughly what do you think the approx temp gain is for a single and a double IXTQ? Anything in your product line you'd suggest for replacing this down quilt in a hammock?

Any considerations other than nightwear (silkweight Patagonia) and personal sleeping metabolism (fairly warm)?

I'd like to make an IX TQ combo work if possible to save daily down airing/drying.

Thanks for your earlier Em to another Q on another product -- will order tomorrow.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    Roughly what do you think the approx temp gain is for a single and a double IXTQ?
    They are all double layer IX TQs. I have a single layer IX TQ that has proven inadequate below 60*F. All IX TQs are double layer, sewn together using inside-out construction with a differential cut. As for temp range... they were developed after the warm weather took over! I estimate they should be good into the 40s.

Anything in your product line you'd suggest for replacing this down quilt in a hammock?
    There is only one IX TQ, and I like it a lot. It's soft, warm and light!

I'd like to make an IX TQ combo work if possible to save daily down airing/drying.
    I put a drawstring on the end of the long, pointed footbox, so now you can adjust the ventilation of the footbox. That way, if you have insensible perspiration, it can evaporate out of the footbox, instead of collecting condensation.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast