Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Thumbs up Grip Clips Rock !!!

After the discussion in the tarp pull outs thread I stumbled across some things called Grip Clips. I ordered a set of 4 small Grip Clips (GC) for 8.00, shipping included.

The GC weigh in at .4 oz. each, including a 6" piece of 1/8" shock cord I added to help reduce stress on the tarp. The GC are made from plastic and are really nicely made. All the corners are smooth and rounded, nothing to damage the tarp while they are attached. Installing them on the tarp takes all of 2-3 seconds per clip and once attached they seem like they would stay put, meaning that the clips could be left on the tarp when it is packed up. Here's a pic on the clip attached from the outside and the backside of the tarp:

Outside:

Backside:

The GC make a HUGE difference in how much room I have under the tarp. I intentionally hung my tarp really low over my hammock like I would in rainy or wet weather. This setup is where I have the least amount of room between my hammock and the tarp. Keep in mind that the hammock is unoccupied in the pics below which make the hammock ride a little higher than it would if I were in it.

Here is a pic of the normal clearance between the tarp and the hammock body:

Here is a picture of the the side using the GC:

You can see that it makes a pretty drastic difference in the amount of space you have under the tarp. Another advantage of these clips are that you can move them around on the tarp to find the point or points that give you the most room. I used 2 clips per side on this setup but you could easily just use 1 clip. Once the clips are removed from the tarp you can hardly tell where they were installed. It's a lot less damage than sewing tarp pull outs to the tarp.

I want to try them out on my GG 9x9 tarp because I feel that these may go a long way to reduce the sag in the sides of the tarp.

Here's a couple more shots:

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Those look like just the ticket... I was going to sew a another tie out loop in the middle of my hex fly, but this looks better. Nice find! I wonder if keeping them permanently attached might not be good for the fabric? I see myself putting them on and leaving them for a whole trip, but relieving the fabric once the trip was over.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Did the GC's make any strange tension marks on your tarp?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Just a quick note on what you probably already know: In a pinch you can accomplish the same effect with a smooth pebble or acorn under the tarp with a guyline loop tightened around it on top of the tarp.

The pictures look like they flatten the top of your tarp and allow for pooling in a moderate to heavy rain.

Is that just an illusion or is it as flat as it looks?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post

Didn't leave any marks on the tarp at all. I know the fabric looks kind bunched up but the clips but distribute the force very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Inimicus
    The pictures look like they flatten the top of your tarp and allow for pooling in a moderate to heavy rain.

Is that just an illusion or is it as flat as it looks?
    It does flatten out a little, but it's not as bad as it looks in the pic. I also found you can move the clips down or stake the guy lines to the ground to give a steeper pitch to the tarp. Water would still shed just fine, but I would reconfigure it if it were snowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    Just a quick note on what you probably already know: In a pinch you can accomplish the same effect with a smooth pebble or acorn under the tarp with a guyline loop tightened around it on top of the tarp.
    I know I could do this but I am afraid the a rock may be to abrasive to the tarp. I have also used coins to do the same thing.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    This is usually suggested whenever grip clips are mentioned for tarps or side tieouts. You are right it's a similar concept but grip clips use a lot less fabric which is a factor for things that are under a lot of tension like center tieouts.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    That's a good point. I've never moved mine since I put them on I'll have to check. I would guess since nylon stretches they would leave little circle indentations if left on for a long time. Whether or not they eventually go away I can't say. If not that's a drawback to consider if you plan on moving them around a lot.

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    I have used these in the past. I used them on a tarp tent that I had made. With any lateral force, they will slide on sylnylon. If location is critical, you would be better served by sewing a loop where you need it to stay. If you pull straight out, they'll be just fine.
    Peace,
    Joe

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Now, that is very similar to something I already own... its for a duvet for a comforter. (all the guys just said "huh?")

For the uninitiated, a duvet is basically an overbag for a bed comforter. The little gripper things I use, secure the duvet to the comforter in a similar manner to the above, to keep the two from sliding around on each other...

Off to check this out!!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by txulrich View Post
    I have used these in the past. I used them on a tarp tent that I had made. With any lateral force, they will slide on sylnylon. If location is critical, you would be better served by sewing a loop where you need it to stay. If you pull straight out, they'll be just fine.
    That's good to know. They seemed pretty secure but I was pulling straight out. The ability for them to slide around might be a bonus, allowing me to put the GC in the right spot without having to remove them.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast