Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Hammock Lighting.

I like to sit in my hammock and read at night. In the past I normally use larger headlamps like my Black Diamond Zenix. It had a few disadvantages when used as hammock lighting. I attached it to my ridge line by looping it over itself and letting it hang there. If I did this it was almost impossible to point the head lamp where I needed it if I were reading. If I wore it on my head to read the battery pack on the back was really uncomfortable. It's also pretty heavy with batteries and would blind me if I accidentally shined it in my eyes.

A few months ago I picked up the Petzel e+Lite (see demo video). It's the best head lamp I've owned, to date. I has 3 ultrabright LEDs and 1 red LED. Weighs 27 grams including battery. I bought mine from Ebay for about $24 shipped. It has an elastic band with a cord lock that allows you to use it as a head lamp or strap it to your wrist. The lamp portion swivels 360* to put the light anywhere you need it. One of the best features is the integrated clip that allows me to clip the head lamp to clothing or a hat or you can clip it directly to the ridge line of my hammock:

Petzel e+Lite Specs (from Petzel site):
    Long-term dependability, even when kept for years in harsh conditions

* functions in extreme temperatures: -30 °C to +60 °C,
    * always ready for use: can be stored with batteries for up to 10 years and still be operational,
    * waterproof down to -1 m,
    * protective case included,
    * can be used in potentially explosive atmospheres (see specifications for certification level),
    * compact and ultra-lightweight (27 g), there's no excuse not to carry it where ever you go,
    * designed to prevent accidental operation with locking switch.

Performance lighting

* Shines enough light to allow easy movement in the dark: shines up to 19 m,
    * provides up to 4 consecutive nights of lighting (45 hours),
    * easy to use,
    * strobe signaling mode.

Practical

* Can be worn on the head, around the wrist or neck or attached to thin-edged objects with integrated clip,
    * light beam can be aimed where needed: light source swivels 360°,
    * red light beam helps preserve night vision.

10-year guarantee.
    Certification

* 3 white LED and 1 red LED.
    * Uses CR2032 lithium batteries (included).
    * Waterproof down to -1 m. weight : 27 g with batteries.
    * 2 lighting levels: economic and maximum.
    * White and red strobe mode.
    * Clip attachment system and removable elastic headband.
    * Light source rotates 360° on ball and joint.
    * 10-year guarantee
    Once the e+Lite clipped to the ridge line you can point the light anywhere it's needed and it provides ample light for inside the hammock. I will normally clip it on the ridge line behind my head and point it toward my feet. When it's located behind My head I don't get the blinding light shining directly into my eyes. It has 2 levels of brightness, but the low setting is perfect for the inside of the hammock. The red LED is also nice for those late night bathroom breaks. It doesn't blind me.

Another option is the BookOwl reading light. I picked this up at my local book store for about $8. It's also really light. I simply wrap the flexible neck of the light around the ridge line and point the light exactly where it's needed:

The BookOwl uses a single white LED so it doesn't give off the amount of light that the e+Lite does but it is adequate for reading and general light requirements. It does not function well as a headlamp for walking around at night but you can also clip it to your clothing of lighting stuff up that's not to far away. Since the light output is not that great, it's basically a single use item that I used inside the hammock, but it's cheap as dirt and weighs next to nothing so I can't really complain.

Here's a pic of the BookOwl and the Petzel side by side for comparison:

What do you guys use for hammock lighting?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Treklite Double
    Tarp
    SG 12 x 12 camo
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Rings!
    Images
    I love my Petzl E-light, I use it for pretty much everything

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think I'm ordering a round of these Petzl e+Lites for the entire family for Christmas this year.

They're useful around the house as well, for projects that require focused bright light (which for me these days is most projects).

I've been using a Petzl Tikka Plus up to now.

How long is the battery life in the e+Lite? And how much of a pain is it to replace, how hard is it to find the right battery in the store, etc.?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I think I'm ordering a round of these Petzl e+Lites for the entire family for Christmas this year.

They're useful around the house as well, for projects that require focused bright light (which for me these days is most projects).

I've been using a Petzl Tikka Plus up to now.

How long is the battery life in the e+Lite? And how much of a pain is it to replace, how hard is it to find the right battery in the store, etc.?
    45 hours on low and 35 hours on high. The batteries are easy to change. There is a cover with a rubber oring on the back of the light unit that screws off. The button for the cord lock on the head band fits into the slot on the battery door and unscrews it.

The case for the light is also really cool.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have the E-lite and love the thing. The batteries seem to last for ever, but I bet if I changed them it would be brighter. Since I bought it a couple months ago I have used it countless times night hiking, running, reading in bed, reading in my hammock. I like how you attatched it to the ridgeline. It pivots in any direction.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

I have a cheap Energizer headlamp I bought from Target or WallyWorld for about ten bucks. It uses 3 AAA batteries, so it's slightly heavy-ish (heavier than the awesome little e+), but I love that it's got both a single red or a dual-white LED setting. For reading at night, I find the red light to be just perfect: no glare, no eye strain.

The only downside is that the on-off switch is not protected. With the e+, you can swivel it around and keep it from accidentally turning on in your pack or pocket. My little energizer has an exposed switch which makes accidental turn-ons possible (perhaps even likely, though I've been lucky so far).

For just over 1/3 the cost of the e+, it's very much worth the cost, however.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've been using the Prinston Tech EOS. the batteries are in front so i don't have the comfort issue, & i've added a diffuser (as shown on "jim woods base camp").
    but i like the weight of yours much better... also having the option of a red light.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post

The only downside is that the on-off switch is not protected. With the e+, you can swivel it around and keep it from accidentally turning on in your pack or pocket. My little energizer has an exposed switch which makes accidental turn-ons possible (perhaps even likely, though I've been lucky so far).

The e+ also has a "lock" position on the switch which helps prevent it from accidentally being turned on.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I do the exact same thing with my e-light, I just hang it using a larks head from my ridgeline and it is always there for me. I love it, I had to hike 3 miles in the dark my first time with it and it worked wonderfully.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I have the petzl tikka, tikka plus, tikka xp, and Black Diamond Ion.

I love my Tikka plus. For some reason I like the rubber clicking push button power switch over all the others. It's my ol' reliable and has never let me down. Although, I might as well add the e+ to my collection.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast