Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessy Underquilt

I'm really interested in making this underquilt for my HH Asym UL Backpacker: http://www.thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=72

But with the limited directions and my very limited understanding of how to make a quilt, I'm afraid it's a little out of my reach. Are there any resources that you can point me to to help me out? Winter is approaching and I really want to use my hammock through the season...but I hate being cold. Is the underquilt even the best way to go?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    There are good directions for making your own Kick *** Quilt here. Hammock Engineer also put together an article on a down under quilt.ArkWater also put together a tutorial.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The instructions to the KickAss Quilt that headchange4u mentioned are really great. HOWEVER, as a novice sewer (one who sews, not the transportation of waste materials) I didn't really understand them at first. But, once you start working thru the steps it starts to make sense.

Don't be intimidated, it will be much easier than it seems at first.

Great! Thanks!

Do you think an underquilt is better than the supershelter?

Images

diy underquilt

I made my own underquilt for a HH explorer deluxe. I didn't try to cut it exactly to shape like many of the patterns. Instead, I basicly made another hammock the same size as my exploer following, Jeff's "to the woods" plans. I Folded the ends and put in tie out loops. I then put in the insulation and covered it with another layer of ripstop. I left a pocket above the insulation to add more for colder weather. I have not yet cut a slit in it to enter the hammock. I used small bungie cords to attatch the underquilt to the hammock. The most difficult thing is getting it to hang close/next to the bottom of the hammock and yet not have it support the hammock. I didn't do this but I saw where several people have taken tyvek and made mockups to adjust before cutting actual material. This is a wise thing to do since I really think the first one has to be adjusted and messed with to fit right. Good luck.
    aerorider65
    Roads go ever ever on, under cloud and under star; Yet feet that wandering have gone, turn at last to home afar. Bilbo Baggins

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by job13_5 View Post
    Do you think an underquilt is better than the supershelter?
    Personally, I don't like sleeping on pads. So, I'm very biased towards UQs. Pads are a great wat to get few extra degrees of warmth, but I'm much more comfy without them. I'm also a fairly warm sleeper, so that helps a little too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Personally, I don't like sleeping on pads. So, I'm very biased towards UQs. Pads are a great way to get few extra degrees of warmth, but I'm much more comfy without them. I'm also a fairly warm sleeper, so that helps a little too.

Although the UQ's might well be a superior approach for most folks, and I may go that route myself someday, it should be pointed out that when using the SuperShelter, you are not sleeping on a pad any more than you are with a under-quilt. The HH underpad, though called a pad, hangs under the hammock in the same fashion as a quilt, adjusted so that it just barely makes contact with the underside and sides of the hammock. The adjustment is fairly automatic, since it hangs from super light elastic cords that attach at the point where the tarp normally attaches to the suspension when you don't tie off to trees. And the open cell foam pad itself is very soft, flexible and breathable if you aren't using the space blanket.

The elastic the "pad" attaches to the suspension by is flexible enough that, though it will hold the pad just barely snug against the hammock, it will "give" enough, and stretch some more when you lay in the hammock. So that your weight will not compress the foam. When the hammock sags towards the ground , both the underpad and cover seem to go down with it an equal distance, so that there is no compression. Though if you thought there was some compression, you could loosen the elastic a tad. Or, if you put some light clothing on top of the pad or some heavier clothing/insulation down in the undercover, and it caused excessive sag, you can tighten up the elastic to snug it up to barely contact the hammock. I once put an entire sleeping bag in the undercover, underneath the pad, and was able to adjust the sag enough o maintain contact with the hammock. Let me tell you, that was some serious under insulation!

The undercover and its elastic perimeter that surrounds the upper hammock body, causes the hammock body to come in some, and decreases the sense of roominess, and interferes slightly with visibility. Not a big deal, but noticeable. The pay off is it greatly increases wind resistance and offers some extra rain protection. But as for comfort laying in the hammock with the underpad, I can't tell any difference whether the pad is there or not, except it's warmer. There is no feeling of laying on a pad.

I very nearly left my SS at home on my trip to the Olympics last week. Because I was going to carry minimal pads anyway, I always do for backup in case I have to go to ground, above timberline near the glaciers. So I could have saved some weight just using my SPE and the pads in the hammock. It hardly made sense to take both unless I needed pads + SS for extreme temps. But after a few more last minute back yard hangs comparing the pads and SPE, it just didn't seem as comfortable as the HH underpad, though it definitely would get the job done with acceptable comfort still far superior to ground sleeping. But I opted for max comfort, carrying and extra 22 oz of pads just for back up. And I slept like a baby every night. Also, I used the 1/2 length WallyWorld pad as a sit pad around the campfire and while cooking, though mostly I sat in my hammock.

But now I want to get into my Speer stage. So if anybody wants to send me a free Pea Pod or Snugfit for testing this winter, I volunteer, free of charge! Just send it to me. I'm really wanting to test these items. Or you can even send me a nice No Sniveller, I'll be delighted to test it for the good of the group! No charge!

Bill

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    BillyBob- Thanks for the SS lesson; I have not actually used one, just knew it was a "pad" system. So, does having those layers between you and the pad prevent the excessive sweating that is usually associated with pads? I don't think I'll be changing my mind about using a UQ of some sort, but it's nice to understand the other options out there.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've used my supershelter a few times and the only condensation has been between the pad and the undercover. The top of the pad that contacts the hammock (and by extension, me) has always remained dry. I have always used my sleeping bag as a bag, however, and perhaps that was absorbing some of the water.

I'll be moving to a top quilt soon, however. I have two hammocks and when I go camping with my daughter, I'll use the quilt as an undercover and she'll use the supershelter. I'll be able to make a better comparison then.

FreeTheWeasel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    I've used my supershelter a few times and the only condensation has been between the pad and the undercover. The top of the pad that contacts the hammock (and by extension, me) has always remained dry. I have always used my sleeping bag as a bag, however, and perhaps that was absorbing some of the water.

I'll be moving to a top quilt soon, however. I have two hammocks and when I go camping with my daughter, I'll use the quilt as an undercover and she'll use the supershelter. I'll be able to make a better comparison then.

FreeTheWeasel
    Cannibal, ditto what FTW said. I used my bag as a quilt last week, sleeping in thin long johns, and still had zero condensation problems as far as against my back or in the hammock. I've never had ANY condensation before. ( the only layer between you and the pad is the hammock. Unless you add the space blanket, or you might want to count your sleeping bag. But the pad itself is extremely breatable, if used without the SB.) But on the first night of my extremely humid/rainy/foggy Olympics trip, I did not use the space blanket. I still did not have any condensation inside the hammock. But when I got up the next morning, I noticed a fair amount down in the foot of the undercover, and the foot of the pad was damp. I stayed warm anyway ( it's synthetic) and it dried quickly. But I went back to using the space blanket on top of the pad, thinking that would at least keep the condensation out of the pad. But you would think the SB would cause even worse condensation, wouldn't you? But I had no other condensation problems, only the most minor in the foot of the undercover. No more wet pad though, and no noticeable moisture on the SB, an zero on my back on any night of this trip.

I probably wouldn't switch from a nice quilt either, but I think you are right to say we all need to understand all of the options. Why not? There are several ways to skin a cat, as they say.

You know, I don't hear much about the KAQ. But that seems like a nice, and cost effective, option to me in really soggy country. Especially maybe with the new Climashield insulation?

Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-14-2007 at 12:31.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast