WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Glad everyone had a great time. It was nice putting faces to names and, although my trip was short, Taylor and I had an awesome time. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to check out the different hammocks, rigging and gear, but I'm afraid it may expand the pre-existing hole in my wallet.

Thanks again to all of you that made the long drives and I hope you can make it back in the fall for the color.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I now have pictures. the first group is from my pre-hike, prior to meeting up with the group. This was out along Auxier ridge where you can get a long vista.

GorgeHangMay 037.jpg

GorgeHangMay 040.jpg

GorgeHangMay 041.jpg

Here a a few shots of the gorge. The last is Swift Camp Creek at our second camp.
    GorgeHangMay 045.jpg
    GorgeHangMay 050.jpg
    GorgeHangMay 063.jpg

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    RRG Trip Review

We met at the Shell station at 2 PM, a few had arrived before two and others a little after, but everyone discussed the plans and then Krugd led the caravan of vehicles to the parking lots. We parked at the suspension bridge, which was over-crowed two days later. I stayed back at the jeep trying to get everything right while the group started on its way to the fist hang spot. I struggled to cross the suspension bridge due to my fear of heights... it took 15 minutes. The trail was marked ok, but didn't look very recently used. The group took some time trying to find the camping spot and after setting up Krudg came looking for me just as I came to the creek at the base of the selected spot. The bear bagging task took more time than anybody would have liked, but got done. I turned in early and everyone else stayed up chatting.

The next day, we packed up and headed on out in good time. The trail (as I remember it) was basically one down, one up, and then one down. We took two roughly 30 minute breaks - one at a huge rock shelter where we took a group photo and another at the parking lot where Bonsihiker and his family joined the group. His family let the way down to the second hang site... those fresh legs really took off down the trail. I had problems making it down the trail and needed a little alone time to cool off, before being social. Bdpalace made it to camp with his son. Bonsihiker's and Bdpalace's kids really made a splash and had a great time climbing rocks and doing what kids do best. Most of us setup on the ravine side and enjoyed a nice breeze while resting in our hammocks. The others camped next to the water and a couple that didn't have much in the way of camp manners. Later, we ate and sat around chatting with some of us turning in a bit early.

The next day, we all took our time getting up and movign about. Everyone seemed to be going at a snails pace except Bonsihiker who was busy packing up the family gear. As other groups left the campsite, those on the hill staying, relocated maybe two hundred yards by the creek. Around 2 PM, those leaving said their good-byes and headed up the steep trail 1 1/2 mile trail. I headed up the dreaded trail, but returned later. After taking a look at some of the scenic spots, doing a lot of driving around the gorge, and having a Subway sandwich, I redeemed myself from the day before getting down to the trail in record time. Three of us stayed another night and enjoyed some great conversation and did some gear show-in-tell/show-off. We chatted by the fire as the lighting began to pickup and we eventually headed off to bed with plans to head out on the trail early. I barely slept and was mostly packed by the time by the other two woke-up. From the snoring, they had slept rather well, while I.... listened to snoring. We were none the worse from the the lightening and rain at night. I took off up the trail at 7:20 and was at the parking 45 minutes, the day before I taken the group 1 12 hours to climb it. And left for home.

I would definitely recommend going to the Red River Gorge and plan on returning at a later date. The camping was affordable ($5/3 nights) and the rocks and scenery were memorable. The trails were rustic enough for those that don't like wide well maintained trails, but clear enough to find your way for beginners. There are multiple different maps that can be had for free at different locations, but a heavy coated map can be purchased for $14.99 plus tax. For those that don't like humid weather, i'd suggest going a different time of year, but I didn't think it was too bad and the bugs were negligible. There are so many photo opportunities you really have to slow down and keep the miles in check in order to have the time to take your rolls of digital film - every turn is another photo opportunity. Good company just makes this area more the worth while.

I'd like to thank those that came, especially the kids...they were great entertainment to watch. I'm most grateful for the map that was mailed and marked with the campsites and the trails highlighted - it was most useful! Let's do it again.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I like that middle photo a lot, krugd! It shows 5 hammocks easily occupying a rocky slope, where a tent would not be feasible... It was perhaps more steep than the photo illustrates.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I like that middle photo a lot, krugd! It shows 5 hammocks easily occupying a rocky slope, where a tent would not be feasible... It was perhaps more steep than the photo illustrates.
    Yes, that was a steep slope. And one more hammock (mine) was just to the right of where I was standing to take the photo.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Tilt your screen on it's corner and that's how steep it was. LOL

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    great report and it sounded like an awesome hang.
    i've hit swift camp creek in the clifty- but haven't officially made it to the gorge trails. looks absolutely pastoral- especially that sloping hammy compound!
    wish i coulda made it down- and look forward to catching some of you on the next group hang!
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Thanks for a great trip guys!