Thread: Byer Moskito

Byer Moskito

Ok, I have the Byer Miskito, and to me it looks like the lines holding it up will get tangled, I though I heard somewhere out there that there was some way to prevent that, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
    Also what suspension system works well with it? Obviously they sell things for that, but I already spent enough Money.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    My first hammock was the Byer Moskito, I think it's a great first-hammock. To keep the lines from tangling, attach a ridgeline between the little loops at each end. (I don't have any pics, I can post some this evening, if you'd like). You'll want to use a good-strong cord, I used paracord.

There's really not one "best" suspension for the Byer, or for any particular hammock for that matter (IMHO). It all depends on which one you prefer. The many different styles of suspension systems described in this Forum do pretty much three basic things: suspend the hammock, are adjustable, and protect the trees. It comes down to your preference. If you haven't already, watch Grizz's video series on suspensions. They are in the video section. First in the series: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ils&videoid=99

Enjoy.
    Last edited by amac; 06-02-2010 at 04:38.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    TruGracie cut the strings off his Byer Moskito and ran a Whoopie sling through the end channel, finished with a clove hitch just inside the gathered channel. It's short, but it works fine for his son, Eddie.

I did the same with my Byer Traveler, resulting in a 7' version of the Bushman Hammock Chair weighing 13 ounces including tree huggers.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owwl View Post
    Would para-cord work instead of amsteel?
    Certainly! You can suspend the hammock with anything that is strong enough.

Make sure it is up to the task!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Make a triangular cord sock for each end...no more tangle....cinch it tight to the eye loop so that it can't go through the lines when "socked" for storage.

Pan

Edit...PS... Inspect the lines daily for wear and change out worn line before you regret it...
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I've been using a Moskito for 7 months. It is my 6th and favorite hammock. I wouldn't necessarily call it a starter hammock.

I use Speer webbing, Trecklight carabiners, #3 Snakeskins and self-centering buckles. I use a Speer Winter tarp year round. Right now, I'm using a home-made, synthetic, 10-ounce quilt and a 6-ounce under-cover made of Tyvek and a Heat Sheet sewn together. Very comfy to 50F, and approximately 3.5 lbs total weight.

(I bought my wife a sewing machine a few years ago, but I'm the one who uses it.<G>)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Edit...PS... Inspect the lines daily for wear and change out worn line before you regret it...
    My son took his Byer Moskito to Trail Days this year. He's maybe 5'6" & 150lbs. Saturday evening I heard strings start to pop one by one. Went to investigate and found my son on the ground saying "Help me get out of this thing." I used a couple pieces of 1/8" Amsteel through the channels & he was back in the air. It was plenty short, but he still slept ok the second night. I've still got the fabric body down in the workshop, but haven't got around to making a hammock chair out of it.

Here's the pre-failure photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 06-30-2010 at 15:09.

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Just a guess

This hammock is hyper light and really susceptible to breakage if hung with more than a 10' ridge length between the ends. I use a length of paracord for that, some thin shock cord for the netting and snakeskins to put it up and down very quickly.

My first one blew up on me because I stretched it out. My second one never got hung until I added the ridgeline. I weigh 230, and I've had zero problems since I added the line.

Also, the snakeskins prevent the tangling issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    My son took his Byer Moskito to Trail Days this year. He's maybe 5'6" & 150lbs. Saturday evening I heard strings start to pop one by one. Went to investigate and found my son on the ground saying "Help me get out of this thing." I used a couple pieces of 1/8" Amsteel through the channels & he was back in the air. It was plenty short, but he still slept ok the second night. I've still got the fabric body down in the workshop, but haven't got around to making a hammock chair out of it.

Here's the pre-failure photo.

• + New Posts