WBBB 1.0DL & ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Leighlo 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp Question

I'm making my first tarp...I have some coated ripstop from WM, in 66" width.

Looking at some of the patterns out there, I've noticed that there aren't any tarps at 66" wide. So maybe that width doesn't work...or does it? (ENO Double).

If I need to go wider than 66", say up to 99", I was thinking of taking a second piece of the 66", cut down the middle, then sewing the resulting 33" piece to the edge of the first piece. This would result in an offset seam, as I will put the tie outs at the middle of the width (54.5"). In other words, when pitched, the tarp will have a seam about 21 inches to the side of the ridge.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of setup? Will it screw up the pitch when it's set up?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by tekape View Post
    I assume you have checked that it is waterproof?

Looking at some of the patterns out there, I've noticed that there aren't any tarps at 66" wide. So maybe that width doesn't work...or does it? (ENO Double).
    66" is very narrow. That said, I know that Risk has tried that - try this link. Its on a link off that page, somewhere. I'd advise you to go wider.

If I need to go wider than 66", say up to 99", I was thinking of taking a second piece of the 66", cut down the middle, then sewing the resulting 33" piece to the edge of the first piece. This would result in an offset seam, as I will put the tie outs at the middle of the width (54.5"). In other words, when pitched, the tarp will have a seam about 21 inches to the side of the ridge.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of setup? Will it screw up the pitch when it's set up?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.
    I haven't tried that. You could build it end-to-end, with the seam running 'the wrong way'. I did that and haven't had any problems. Not the strongest, perhaps, but I'm not the first to do it. That way you have a tarp with length just under 11' and whatever width you choose.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    By the time you hem and seam the 66" you will be down to about 60" or 5 feet. There are lots of tarps that are that wide and they seem to be very popular and versatile. Seams on the sides of the tarp can be done but you need to keep track of the inside and outside, top and bottom of the tarp. you want the flat felled seam to fold toward the bottom on the inside so it does not create a channel for water seepage. Granted you are probably going to seam seal it anyway but that is a good precaution to take. If it was me... (and I know it's not) I'd go with the 10' width and a seam at the ridgeline.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I once made a knock-on of the MLD asymetrical tarp- don't recall the actual measurements but it used 4 yds of 60 inch nylon- the outline was a pretty steep rhomboid, but covered my eno (double?) for a certain degree of diagonal lay; no seam, no seam sealer, and still kept most of a light shower where it belonged- no wind involved, I feel compelled to note.

just my .02 lira, YMMV, Hang your own hammock, etc. KM

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    D.I.Y Hex
    Insulation
    skin and fat
    Suspension
    Slap Strap
    I have 3 out of 6 walmarts around here that still have the fabric section. We went to everyone hearing stories of silnylon at walmarts. Each time we thought we have found some. But a water test proved it wasn't. In the end when i made my tarp from the fabric i got from walmart i just went with a Hex cut. It was a lot easier if you dont know how to do a cat cut. And i also water proofed with Kwik water proofing. The stuff in walmart camping section in a orange bottle did not work at all...... Trust me do not waste your money on that junk. I had to pay more at Dicks for the good stuff.....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL & ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Leighlo 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Too bad about the WM not being waterproof for you.

The stuff I got certainly passed the test I gave it...bundled up a big bowl shape, poured in a load of water and let it hang 24 hours. No dripping. No water lost.

Now if I could just learn to sew, I'd be doing great.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    D.I.Y Hex
    Insulation
    skin and fat
    Suspension
    Slap Strap
    LOL id say its waterproof then. Is it silnylon? If not is it heavy? I havent really sewn before but i think i did a great job on my tarp. The ridgeline was the hardest thing for me. Good luck my friend!

• + New Posts