Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    That blanket is interesting. Comes in size 5x7 and already has grommets for rigging it to a hammock. Wonder how much it weighs. The website says "very lightweight".
    out of all the cardboard they package it in it is light.
    i'll weight it when i get home.

bmike

Right on Bmike, it's one of my don't leave home without it items. Too many positives not to be a must item for most.

Quote Originally Posted by locorogue View Post
    Right on Bmike, it's one of my don't leave home without it items. Too many positives not to be a must item for most.
    i've also have one of these bivies in my emergency kit...

...but i don't think i want to sleep in it.

Images
    those blankets are alot heavier than the really thin sb's, but they are also alot meor durable too. basically walmart tarp material aluminized on one side.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    great topic. i'm looking at how to go cold with my new HH, with stuff i might already have.

anyone try one of these MPI space blankets in the bottom? windproof, and reflective. i'm thinking it would work similar to the concept of putting the e-blanket in the HH undercover.

then do a fleece blanket or pad on top?

i also have a sea to summit bag liner claiming to be able to add another 15* to a bag... i've tried it alone in a tent on a warm night and roasted, so i'm confident it will add heat to my old synthetic bag.

i do like the underquilt ideas, but until i test out some stuff (and save $$ or time to make my own) i won't know which way to go.

also, i cannot sleep in socks. just doesn't work for me.
    I was cold in the thirties the other night (see my "Tornados" thead) I bet one of those blankets might have made a big difference hung under the hammock. I do agree that it seems the perfect size and it has grommets for suspending on the ends. I'm anxious to hear how it well it works. Most of the space blankets I've seen were very light.

Miguel

Hammock
    HH Jungle
    Tarp
    speer
    Insulation
    IX underquilt, etc
    [QUOTE=bmike;32447]great topic. i'm looking at how to go cold with my new HH, with stuff i might already have.

anyone try one of these MPI space blankets in the bottom? windproof, and reflective. i'm thinking it would work similar to the concept of putting the e-blanket in the HH undercover.

More great ideas! If I am only 5ft short and I have a ULHH, would I hang this with the 7ft length across the hammock, giving me more coverage on the sides? Or the other way around?

MerryMary

Quote Originally Posted by MerryMary View Post
    More great ideas! If I am only 5ft short and I have a ULHH, would I hang this with the 7ft length across the hammock, giving me more coverage on the sides? Or the other way around?

MerryMary
    i'm actually thinking of going long ways for me (5'8") and potentially using it inside the HH undercover(if and when i buy it), although i am very tempted to use it as it's own undercover with the provided grommets (I think it will need a few more). if it works i could see buying 2 of these and having a DIY project. (or locating the manufacturer and ordering the correct sizes)

I might even try to hang it to match the asymmetry of how i would sleep in the hammock... so some modification might make it fit better. without trying it i think it will bunch up in odd spots as the hammock tapers to the ends.
    Last edited by bmike; 10-20-2007 at 09:24.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=MerryMary;32895]
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    great topic. i'm looking at how to go cold with my new HH, with stuff i might already have.

MerryMary

partly depends on how cold of temps you may hammock in, along w/ a lot of other variables (your metabolism, what you ate, what you're wearing, etc), but not everyone has been satisfied w/ using something as thin as a space blanket (even the layered ones) or reflective bubble wrap type wind shield reflectors & such.
    not trying to say that it won't work for you because it does work for some people, but just saying that if it doesn't keep you warm (hopefully in a back yard test), don't be discouraged. there are other cheap ways to insulate your hammock.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Must have item?

I've stated in several posts that the survival blanket is an essential item. I use the military issue type, similar to the 'MPI space blanket' as posted. The Military one has ripstop nylon through the thing, grommets on the corners, shiny one side, o.d. the other. I carry this thing all year around. I havent found any negatives. 'Ultraliters' may say the extra weight, but i'd say it weighs 1/2 lb if that, so that shouldnt be an issue for the multi use of this thingy. Such as: extreme heat(desert), a great reflective barrier, and if rigged properly(with second layer of any material) would cut temps dramatically, obviously, but more than you may know(military survival training, can expound(on training, not ops) if requested).

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123