HH Scout w/ Mod3/ GT UL Travel
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    If you are just getting started I would suggest you pick up a cheap used machine from Craigslist (or similar). I got an old Singer for free, and while its nothing special, its done several years of DIY projects for me.

So far I think the ability of the machine surpasses that of the sewer.
    Thanks for the advice. The only thing I'm wondering about is how did you get for free?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    If you are just getting started I would suggest you pick up a cheap used machine from Craigslist (or similar). I got an old Singer for free, and while its nothing special, its done several years of DIY projects for me.

So far I think the ability of the machine surpasses that of the sewer.
    I beg to differ on two accounts. 1) there is a current thread involving someone who got a very inexpensive machine from a similar source that does not work correctly. Unless you know what to check and how to check it you are buying a pig in a poke. If you want to go that route plan on taking someone who knows something about machines with you to try it out. Then expect that you will need to have it serviced by a mechanic at some point down the line. YMMV

2) There are some machines that are no longer being serviced by mechanics because parts can no longer be obtained. So before you go that route make sure any machine you are looking at is still serviceable locally.

I would suggest asking around in you social circles and find the grandma who has a machine she doesn't use any more. I would choose that one over an unknown quality from Craigslist/ebay.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So what do you suggest? Just look for an old one and make sure that it can still be serviced?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You need a good servicing by a knowledgeable mechanic. That would be my suggestion unless you can find the full maintenance manual for the machine and are comfortable with mechanical assembly and dis-assembly.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok thank you, so that clears things up for me.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I think Rev is talking about my recent Craigslist Thread Injector. I found an early 50's era Centennial (made in japan by Koyo) and not knowing anything (stress anything) about sewing machines other than a little I read here I bought it for $30 with a nice table. My thought was it was heavy all metal construction and ran smooth so $30 was a risk worth taking. Since then I got it home and found the bobbin winder does not work and the thread tensioner is not working right. I have taken it in today to a local sewing machine repairman (retired textile plant maintenance man) and he thinks it's a great machine that just needs to be adjusted and a few minor repairs. He should have it done tommorow and estimates the cost to be $50. If that's the case I will have $80 in the machine and although that's alot more than I thought I would spend the end result should be a good value. If I can actually learn to sew that will be the bigger question... Although between Rev's how-to video series and a few tips here on HF I should be headed in the right direction.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    I think Rev is talking about my recent Craigslist Thread Injector.
    That is the issue I was talking about. I'm glad you are having luck getting it fixed. I'm not against buying machines from Craigslist or ebay. Just against expecting them to be serviceable without any additional expense. IMO $80 for that machine is still a bargain. But it may be that a similar machine could have been found from a sewing center for the same price ready to go and all checked out. I'm all for getting the best deal you can find. If you buy from untested sources just make sure you are prepared to spend more money after the purchase to get it in tip top shape. If you're going to do the work you probably want to the best tools you can get.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    AccidentProne - The repairman that fixed and tuned my thread injector has several good used machines for sale. One is a Singer 600 series that he was repairing for sale. If you don't find a good one local Greenville SC is only about an hour from you. He said he would probably ask $80 for the Singer. PM me if you want his contact info.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    I am in the same boat as you and have been researching machines, whether to get used or new, and after much deliberation, I am 99% sure I am going to order this one in the next few days. I will be making my own hammocks, tarps, and UL shelters that can be heated with my UL back pack stove. Look at all of the positive reviews, and the very reasonable price they have right now. Free shipping too

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-CS6000...772414&sr=1-12

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by AccidentProne View Post
    Thanks for the advice. The only thing I'm wondering about is how did you get for free?
    My wife is always on CL and saw someone giving it away free. Thought I would take the chance as it only cost me the gas $. So far it has worked fine for a years worth of projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I beg to differ on two accounts. 1) there is a current thread involving someone who got a very inexpensive machine from a similar source that does not work correctly. Unless you know what to check and how to check it you are buying a pig in a poke. If you want to go that route plan on taking someone who knows something about machines with you to try it out. Then expect that you will need to have it serviced by a mechanic at some point down the line. YMMV

2) There are some machines that are no longer being serviced by mechanics because parts can no longer be obtained. So before you go that route make sure any machine you are looking at is still serviceable locally.

I would suggest asking around in you social circles and find the grandma who has a machine she doesn't use any more. I would choose that one over an unknown quality from Craigslist/ebay.
    No doubt you take your chances. If you can find someone you know who has an old machine, go for it. My point is that there are lots of machines out there that will get the job done and no need for a large investment. Once we know something about sewing, then it might be time to look for a better machine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12