Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Help

Sewing Help

Not sure if this is the correct area to post, but i'll give it a shot.

Went packing on North Manitou Island without a hammock and reaffirmed why I joined this forum in the first place......"Terra firma is Overrated".

After 3 nights on the ground I surprisingly found the inspiration to dust off the sewing machine that was given to me and put my foot to work.

Before I destroy any more sheets, I have a couple questions.

In general, is there any zig-zag pattern/stitch length to use?

Unless I am holding the material taught while sewing, it bunches up. Is this normal?

So far all of my practices have looked good on the top, but every once in awhile the upper thread will leave loose loops on the underside. What causes this?

Sorry to be a pain, but I am a newbie "tailor" for sure and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've cut it twice and it's still too short.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    In my limited time sewing hammocks, packs and such I have also had to wade through some of your questions. One thing to try is to adjust the tension on the thread as that is a likely cause for the stitches having a loose loop on the bottom side. When the tension is set correctly the thread from the bobbin and the thread from the needle should set the stitch in the center portion of the fabric being sewn. I am not sure which way you need to adjust the tension thou, but play with it and see if it makes any dif. I have given up on using the zig zagt stitch for most stuff and go with a straight stitch using #3 setting for stitch length on my machine. Everything I have sewn has so far held up and has had a few good outings on the trail and lots of use hangin here at home. Remember, building your own stuff can be dam addicting. A further thought, Wal Mart is THE place to buy fabric, if you keep your eyes open and can recognize rip stop or coated nylon.

Thanks for the response! I adjusted the tension on the upper thread and it works great now.

In my practice runs, I seem to have the best luck using the zig-zag. I keep it set from 1-2 and the length no greater than 2 and it appears to be good.

I guess the bigger question being, does the zig-zag and/or length have anything to do with degrading the integrity of the material being sewn?
    I've cut it twice and it's still too short.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Speer suggests 10 to 15 stitches per inch so you don't perferate the material. Use a good polyester thread. I also very rarely use zig zag. I only use it for back tacks or if I am working with a mesh.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Up here on the West Coast of Canada the best polyester thread is stuff they call upolstery thread. Its the only stuff I use.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I'd use ther zig zag for sewing things like webbing loops, grosgrain, etc.
    Use regular stitches for the hammock.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Yes a straight stitch is best for general sewing (it'll give a stronger seam lengthwise - that is in the direction of the seam)

Zigzag is for binding down or providing some "stretch" in a seam that is going to be changing lengths. Not as good at keeping the seam closed, but also distributes crossways loads over more fabric (commonly used on sails for instance where the seams are lapped rather than folded)... But at the cost of more exposed and easily worn out thread.

Also you will have to hold the fabric lightly "flat" and smooth while sewing, but not with so much "tautness" that it stretches....

There are lots of good resources for sewing and skills, not specifically related to hammocks or gear, but still very helpful if you intend to make your own. Also its helpful to look at commercial products carefully and see how they're sewn (stiches, pattern, placement of seams etc..) You can learn a lot that way.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Most Wal-Mart store I have been to have a 100% Polyester "Outdoor" thread. It is heavy duty and UV resistant. Its 4.95 for 200 yards but it is really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    Most Wal-Mart store I have been to have a 100% Polyester "Outdoor" thread. It is heavy duty and UV resistant. Its 4.95 for 200 yards but it is really strong.
    That's what I have been using. I also bought a larger cone from Joanne Fabrics thinking it was the same stuff but it turns out that it is much thinner than what I bought at Walmart.

Images
    You can use a zigzag stitch as an overcast stitch on seems that you feel may unravel. I use a tight zigzag as bar tacks for places where webbing is attached or high stress seem openings.

Thru-hiker Sewing Primer
    BPL Sewing Primer They have more, but you have to have a subscription.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast