Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Allergy season

I'm curious how many other folks out there deal with allergies. I actually had to take a hiatus from outdoor activities in my late teenage years, because my allergies became so bad that no meds could come close to helping, and my eyes would get so swollen that I literally couldn't see. Luckily, as I have aged, they have calmed down a bit, and better medications have come on the market, that make them reasonably manageable.

Still, there are weekends where a certain plant is in bloom or something, and no amount of meds will do me any good, and I've ended up canceling a few planned outings because my allergies were just plain nasty.

On top of that, I always have to carry an epi-pen with me, because of a severe allergy to hornet stings.

How many of you deal with allergies, and how much does it affect your time in the woods?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB bigmamajama
    Insulation
    walmart blue
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    i do. I have had bad allergies all my life. When the pollen is out bad I have to stay at home.

I still go out and do things. My eyes look like I have been on a week long drunk though
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Take some over the counter meds and go to the woods anyway ... interesting thing ... I have less allergy issues in the woods than I do around the house or work ... hmmmm

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I've been on a long quest for things that help allergies... Claritan doesn't work, nor do most antihistamines. I am doing a trial run of Zyrtec to see if it helps.

The thing that works very reliably for me has been Sudafed (not the neutered version, for some reason the PE works very different chemically for me and only results in medicine head) with a couple of tylenol if I'm getting a sinus headache. Decongestants keep me sane. I find that one Sudafed per 24 hour period is enough.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Over the counter meds are completely worthless to me. I literally became immune to Claritin from taking it so often when it was still prescription. I can pop many times the recommended dose of Benadryl and it barely phases me. I was on Benadryl before I was old enough to swallow pills - taking it in liquid form from a spoon.

Allegra works pretty decently for me, but again the recommended dosage isn't enough. I generally take two 180mg tablets a day, sometimes three.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    This past Sunday was the worst for me so far this season. I couldn't go outside for 30 seconds without a flareup. I take Krogers version of Zyrtec 24hr everyday and supplement with liquid Benedryl. When I went hiking/camping the Thursday before that Sunday I inadvertantly left my med bottle in the truck and missed my dose Friday. I think that may be why I had such a bad day on Sunday. I start takin a 24 pill mid to late April and don't stop until mid August. Yeah allergies are a royal pain in the butt!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I suffered terribly as a kid, and later, as a young adult. Then, inexplicably, about 15 years ago, it all went away. Only rarely am I affected. Ditto poison ivy...I have to do something really stupid to have any significant problem with PI.

I'd still rather be 20, again.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    ... interesting thing ... I have less allergy issues in the woods than I do around the house or work ... hmmmm
    Me to! Even as ground dweller sleeping under a tarp on the leaves, no issues
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    for about the past 8 years I've had to take allegra once a day plus flonase and prescription eye drops (patanol). And I still wanted to dig my eyeballs out because they itched so much.

I just pack my meds and go camping anyways figuring that I'd rather be out in the woods than shut up inside.

TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast