Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Widerstand View Post
    My first hammock was made with paracord and the orange construction site fencing.

Now that would be a nice, cool summer hammock! Probably light weight to!

Rev, on sewing the edges of a gathered end hammock, I hear what you're saying but a considerable amount of force is put on the edge when getting in & out.
    I think there has been at least a couple reports of hammocks that were not hemmed (sides) tearing. Coffee is one I remember I think.
    Partly depends on the fabric for one thing.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tree Boat
    Tarp
    Guide
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    straps
    Yes a blue tarp hammock does work. One of my first hammocks was made from a 9x12 tarp folded in half 4.5x12. I tied the ends and had a double layer hammock. I slept over 30 nights in it with out any trouble. I winter I placed insulation (summer bag) between the layers. Worked great. I used a second 9x12 tarp over me in rain and snow.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Rev, on sewing the edges of a gathered end hammock, I hear what you're saying but a considerable amount of force is put on the edge when getting in & out.
    I think there has been at least a couple reports of hammocks that were not hemmed (sides) tearing. Coffee is one I remember I think.
    Partly depends on the fabric for one thing.
    I did not hem the sides of my home sleeper. I left the selvage intact. I hear you concerning the in and out. As I remember my own in and out of my home sleeper I always a bunch of fabric when I got in or out. The stress was on that bunch not the edges. In any event, if sewing is not an option for someone, I would think there are ways around that. I would agree that hand sewing would probably be a better solution if feasible. But my experience with the homeless (admittedly somewhat limited and mostly "skid row") is they might not have that option.

Curb shopping can yield an amazing amount of resources.

I have been close enough to homeless that I have explored the options available and looked at what I could do in the event I was forced there.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl/DIY
    Tarp
    OES std/DD Hattarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & CrowsNest
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    I've often wondered about a summer hammock made from plastic grid like that. Bet it could be reasonably comfortable with the right blanket under you.

I slept in a denim hammock once in Nicaragua. Not exactly lightweight, but it was comfortable durable, breathable, and used dead simple construction.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    In any event, if sewing is not an option for someone, I would think there are ways around that. I would agree that hand sewing would probably be a better solution if feasible. But my experience with the homeless (admittedly somewhat limited and mostly "skid row") is they might not have that option.
    I agree that for many of the homeless the skill necessary is not there. Often there are some fundamental skills that are lacking, sometimes unlearnable. I'm talking about someone who has the skills, or who may not have the skills but can be taught easily enough. Someone who has fallen on hard times through no fault of their own.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I've often wondered about a summer hammock made from plastic grid like that. Bet it could be reasonably comfortable with the right blanket under you.
    Yup thats just what i did.
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I agree that for many of the homeless the skill necessary is not there. Often there are some fundamental skills that are lacking, sometimes unlearnable. I'm talking about someone who has the skills, or who may not have the skills but can be taught easily enough. Someone who has fallen on hard times through no fault of their own.
    I think this brings up an interesting question. What kind of homeless experience are we talking about. The urban, skid row, sleep in the doorway homelessness is vastly different than the out in the woods where you can hide experience. Of course there are also degrees between those two extremes.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    10x12 El Cheapo
    Suspension
    Cargo Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Widerstand View Post
    I was a full time, houseless traveler for years and years and now I am a part time houseless traveler, so I know just what your talking about.

My first hammock was made with paracord and the orange construction site fencing.

LOL!!!! Right on!!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    10x12 El Cheapo
    Suspension
    Cargo Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I think this brings up an interesting question. What kind of homeless experience are we talking about. The urban, skid row, sleep in the doorway homelessness is vastly different than the out in the woods where you can hide experience. Of course there are also degrees between those two extremes.
    I was homeless because of injuries had in Iraq, and other civilian adjustment difficulties (see pic - lol!).

True story - I had decided for my first night in Seattle to stay at the homeless shelter. It was raining and I didn't feel like hunting a tent site down.... big mistake for an honorably discharged vet. The first question that the pricks had for me at the counter (yes they knew I was an HD vet from the paperwork filled out) was the question "Do you need any clean needles or condoms?" .

It was then I walked right out and hitched a ride to the woods of Gig Harbor and pitched my tent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark Mac View Post
    I was homeless because of injuries had in Iraq, and other civilian adjustment difficulties (see pic - lol!).

True story - I had decided for my first night in Seattle to stay at the homeless shelter. It was raining and I didn't feel like hunting a tent site down.... big mistake for an honorably discharged vet. The first question that the pricks had for me at the counter (yes they knew I was an HD vet from the paperwork filled out) was the question "Do you need any clean needles or condoms?" .

It was then I walked right out and hitched a ride to the woods of Gig Harbor and pitched my tent.
    I am sorry if I seemed to be aiming my question at you. I was following the general trend of the thread. Kind of like.. what are the basic assumptions we are working under. I understand the desire to avoid the homeless shelters. I've heard that time and time again.

We have a guy locally who sleeps in a tent year round. The story, as I understand it, is that he was held in a hot box as a POW so long that he can not stand to have solid walls around him. He is well enough known that he actually gets support from the public for various aspects of his needs. He's got his tent sites and keeps moving so he is not in flagrant violation of any local laws. That's one kind of experience. There are others of course.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast