Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I cheat to survive... can I play anyway?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    LDCakes loved her first hang, said she never slept better! She did not hike with us, but I think she visited the falls while she was in Linville. Perhaps she will de-lurk and let us know...
    I had a great time as I always do in the great outdoors and I really did sleep well after the rain subsided and only got a few hours in. I went kayaking on the river the next afternoon until 6:00PM and expected to be whipped but I felt great all day....and you know, it really didn't hit me until I was sitting at dinner with my paddling buds how good I really felt. I am convinced it was the Hammock!! What in the world have I been doing all these years in a tent!?!? Thank You MM for letting me borrow your set-up!! Cakes

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Great videos Mac! That sure is some spectacular looking country. The overlooks and vistas are pretty awesome.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    To Medicine Man's post...
    Sounds good! Lets do it & learn a few things
    I made a salad from the backyard once using Sheep Sorrel w/ blue cheese dressing! UMMMMMM... good
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Awesome contribution to the forums!

Medicineman is a great guy to go hiking with! Wish i knew that much about plants!

I am considering a hike in this area, and i want to know a few things if you gentlemen would be so kind:

which trails did you take?

Is water easy to find at medium elevations (water tree, etc) or do you mostly have to go to the bottom of the gorge to get water?

How many days and miles did you fellas do?

thanks again, great video.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    I had a great time as I always do in the great outdoors and I really did sleep well after the rain subsided and only got a few hours in. I went kayaking on the river the next afternoon until 6:00PM and expected to be whipped but I felt great all day....and you know, it really didn't hit me until I was sitting at dinner with my paddling buds how good I really felt. I am convinced it was the Hammock!! What in the world have I been doing all these years in a tent!?!? Thank You MM for letting me borrow your set-up!! Cakes
    Welcome Idcakes! Hope you'll be getting your very own hammock now! I think you found out just a part of why hammocking is becoming so popular

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Beside the Spence Trailhead on Table Rock Road is what looks like a logging road, going off to the SW toward Table Rock. In a quarter of a mile, there is a campsite where the Mountains to Sea Trail co-joins the Table Rock Trail. We took the Table Rock trail all the way to Table Rock parking lot, about 1.5 miles.

From the Table Rock parking lot, the Mountains to Sea Trail, with it's white blazes, goes along the ridge to the Chimneys, on to Chimney Gap, and on across the top of Shortoff Mountain, past the Watertree trail. It continues down to cross the Linville River below the foot of Shortoff.

Is water easy to find at medium elevations (water tree, etc) or do you mostly have to go to the bottom of the gorge to get water?
    Water is located at lots of springs from the medium elevations (halfway down into the Gorge) and lower, on trails like Spence and Conley. Higher up, you need to know ahead of time where you will get water. That's one reason I wanted to do this hike, so I could find the water on Ken's maps. That's where the best info is: www.linvillegorge.net

At the campsite where the MST joins the Table Rock trail there is a spring. On the west side of Table Rock we found a nice little spring beside the trail. From Table Rock to Chimney Gap we found no water. There is a trail at Chimney Gap that leads a couple of hundred feet down to a spring. From Chimney Gap to the south end of Shortoff we found no water. At the south end of Shortoff there is a pond on top of the mountain, with the Watertree and Gulleypipe water sources nearby. After that, nothing until you get down to the river, which I would not drink.

We were out all of 24 hours and hiked a total of maybe 16 miles!

Seriously, after hanging near Spence trailhead on Friday night, we waited for Legs until 10:30am Saturday morning. We camped at Chimney Gap Saturday night, and by 10:30am Sunday morning, I cranked up the truck at Spence trailhead and drove home!

We stayed up on the ridge. Spence trail goes down into the Gorge, and then you can get lost in the wilderness!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ikemouser, as you start zeroing in on a hike you want to do, some of the "Gorge Rats" will be sure to give you details on water sources along your route.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Awesome contribution to the forums!

Medicineman is a great guy to go hiking with! Wish i knew that much about plants!

I am considering a hike in this area, and i want to know a few things if you gentlemen would be so kind:

thanks again, great video.
    Water is available in the gorge, you just need to know where. Don't drink from the river! (I would only after boiling and as a last resort!)

In the gorge, it's really not about miles but how much time from point A to point B. Check out Ken's site (see signature below) LOADS of good info! Maps, water sources, discussion, etc...

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Another point ... depends on the rain amounts before your hike as to how much water you'll find along the ridge lines. The dryer it gets ... the less likely you are to have steady water supplies along the ridge lines with a few exceptions.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast