Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hammock tie-outs

i put this thread in the long distance hiking forum for a reason:
    i use a hennessy with a blackbishop tarp with a total of 6 tie-outs. but regardless of what hammock/tarp combo you use as a long distance hammocker, i wonder if anyone has studied how best to rig your tie-outs for long trips.
    re: what kind of cord? do you leave the cord on the item or on the stake or neither? how do you carry your stakes and cord? what knots do you use? do you use "rope slides"? thanks in advance for any imput.

well that is an interesting topic, johnny! i hope you get some good feedback. i will start it off.

i leave the line on my hammock but i dont on my tarp. i use the cabellas version of 3m triptease and those yellow plastic rope tighteners from campmor.
    the lines for the tarp i keep secured to the stakes themselves. the yellow tightener is tied to the other end. it passes thru the d ring on the tarp and then secures.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyquest View Post
    well that is an interesting topic, johnny! i hope you get some good feedback. i will start it off.

i leave the line on my hammock but i dont on my tarp. i use the cabellas version of 3m triptease and those yellow plastic rope tighteners from campmor.
    the lines for the tarp i keep secured to the stakes themselves. the yellow tightener is tied to the other end. it passes thru the d ring on the tarp and then secures.
    It is an interesting topic. How do you "secure" your lines to the stakes?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    we may not have that many long distance hammockers checking in right now, but i know we have a few.
    if week end warrior that's give a lot of thought to easy set-up & take down could throw out a thought... i use the orange line from speer hammocks.
    it's light, strong, & the orange is just enough color to help w/ those unexpected line trips, but it doesn't show up at a distance.
    i leave all my lines attached to the tarp.
    i use a figure 9 on both ridge lines & a clove hitch to attach the line to the stake at any point i want it along the corner lines.
    i also have a sliding hitch at each corner of the tarp that allows me to reach out from under the tarp & tighten the line. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I'd do it the same whether long distance or short. Tarp is hung seperately with figure 9's on each tree. 4 JRB tarp tensioners attached to MSR Groundhog stakes. Unless I'm attaching to rock,tree,limb,hiking poles.
    I just tie a basic knot at the stakes and then another basic knot over that with double the line. Works for me. I keep my stakes and figure 9's in a small nylon stake bag.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I'd do it the same whether long distance or short. Tarp is hung seperately with figure 9's on each tree. 4 JRB tarp tensioners attached to MSR Groundhog stakes. Unless I'm attaching to rock,tree,limb,hiking poles.
    I just tie a basic knot at the stakes and then another basic knot over that with double the line. Works for me. I keep my stakes and figure 9's in a small nylon stake bag.
    I have a hundred nights or so under my hammock tarps in the last couple of years, and a 650 mile section in 2003.... Personally, I tie a tautline hitch to everything, tie stake, reg stake tree or rock whatever I'm using as an anchor... adjustable... just as easy and fast as a figure 9 gizmo.... having tied this knot thousands of time through out my lifetime it is a no weight, no brainer.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

look, there are people out there, after all...
    i use a figure eight to tie to my stakes.
    i have some figure nines and i think they are just neato but i have found that the yellow plastic thingys work just fine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyquest View Post
    i put this thread in the long distance hiking forum for a reason:
    i use a hennessy with a blackbishop tarp with a total of 6 tie-outs. but regardless of what hammock/tarp combo you use as a long distance hammocker, i wonder if anyone has studied how best to rig your tie-outs for long trips.
    re: what kind of cord? do you leave the cord on the item or on the stake or neither? how do you carry your stakes and cord? what knots do you use? do you use "rope slides"? thanks in advance for any imput.
    I'll let you know next September; I should be finishing up my long distance hike and will let you know.

In the meantime, I use homemade tarp tensioners (have many surfer friends, they finally came in handy) on the ground lines and figure 9's on the lines to the trees. Cords stay attached to the tarp, but I do not leave the stakes attached because I wrap them seperately in a bandana (keeps them from banging around and making noise). If you make your own skins for the tarp, I really like the concept of an external pocket for the cords to reduce the knotting in the pack.

I don't know if I'll use the tensioners on my thru as I have not realized any great benefit to them. Many very experienced hangers here talk about them so I became a lemming on that one, but they add weight.

Images
    i disconnect the lines from the tarp when packing up. i just roll each line up on it's own stake. this has made tangled lines a non-issue, and i even use #18 braided nylon construction/mason line, which has a reputation for tangling. not with this method though. i like the line because you can get it in flourecent yellow or flourecent green which makes tripping over your lines alot less likely.
    its real cheap (10$ for 500 feet cheap) and it is as thin and as light as anything.
    if you get some, make sure it's #18, nylon, and braided. twisted sucks. you can find it @ home depot, or wherever bricklayer supplies are sold. the best brands are marshaltown and stringliner.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i disconnect the lines from the tarp when packing up. i just roll each line up on it's own stake. this has made tangled lines a non-issue, and i even use #18 braided nylon construction/mason line, which has a reputation for tangling. not with this method though. i like the line because you can get it in flourecent yellow or flourecent green which makes tripping over your lines alot less likely.
    its real cheap (10$ for 500 feet cheap) and it is as thin and as light as anything.
    if you get some, make sure it's #18, nylon, and braided. twisted sucks. you can find it @ home depot, or wherever bricklayer supplies are sold. the best brands are marshaltown and stringliner.
    If you take the lines off like that I think you would really like the pockets on those HH hex tarps. Okay I just went and took a pic

WBG, does that nylon line stretch and cause a loose pitch?
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast