Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I don't know why anyone would need snake skins for the tarp. Simply roll it up on the ridge line and put a Velcro strap in the middle or wherever you want then release the tarp from the tree and fold it up. It's like tying up a furled sail. You don't have to worry about it getting wet.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    I don't know why anyone would need snake skins for the tarp. Simply roll it up on the ridge line and put a Velcro strap in the middle or wherever you want then release the tarp from the tree and fold it up. It's like tying up a furled sail. You don't have to worry about it getting wet.
    I like 'em .... they are good when deploying the tarp in high winds.
    Plus ... I like saying snakeskins. They weigh nothing.
    Tried the velcro ..... just preferred snakeskins.
    Snakeskin Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I like 'em .... they are good when deploying the tarp in high winds.
    Plus ... I like saying snakeskins. They weigh nothing.
    Tried the velcro ..... just preferred snakeskins.
    Snakeskin Shug
    I tried velcro strap on my tarp too but I prefer the snakeskins. Much easier in my opinion.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i just use my existing guylines to 'furl' the tarp. no extra weight, no extra materials.

the OP is the reason i play the 'man i don't think it will rain, do you think it will rain, i hope it doesn't rain' game everynight i set up camp

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    Kukri,

What size snake skins did you buy for your SWT?

Thanks,

FarStar
    I have #4's for my BDWD 12' and #3's for my Granite Gear 10 x 10. I wish I had bought #4's for both. The #3 is snug and the tube is very stiff, even with the smaller tarp. It doesn't stuff into a sack or backpack as easily. I definitely like having the snake skins.

I have been a big proponent for prussiks on everything, ridgelines, figure 9's, and guy lines. On my recent trip, I found them to be a bit cumbersome due to the huge variation of hanging sites. One night I would be hanging from giant ponderosa pines with a cross slope, and the need for an extension due to the distance and circumference. Then the next night, I would be at normal distance and average trees. I seemed to always be trying to slide the prussiks, sometimes a good distance.

Also, I found the Zing-it prussiks on the Zing-it guy lines to be pretty difficulty to slide without physically loosening the prussik. I have 3 wraps on everything. I'm seriously considering the "figure 9 attached to the stake" idea, like Mustardman.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    Also, I found the Zing-it prussiks on the Zing-it guy lines to be pretty difficulty to slide without physically loosening the prussik. I have 3 wraps on everything. I'm seriously considering the "figure 9 attached to the stake" idea, like Mustardman.
    try a double-wrap prussic with the zing-on-zing action... that's what i've been using and it seems to work really well.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    I seemed to always be trying to slide the prussiks, sometimes a good distance.
    I've been test-hangin' in the yard and I've run into the same situation (mostly due to ignorance/inexperience) where I needed to adjust the prussik a large distance. My goal, when I get some line, is to tie an additional prussic closer to the other end and swap the carabiner when necessary. That way I'd never have to adjust more than 1/2 the distance I would need if I just had the one—if spaced properly, that is. The weight penalty should be negligible.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig2112 View Post
    I've been test-hangin' in the yard and I've run into the same situation (mostly due to ignorance/inexperience) where I needed to adjust the prussik a large distance. My goal, when I get some line, is to tie an additional prussic closer to the other end and swap the carabiner when necessary. That way I'd never have to adjust more than 1/2 the distance I would need if I just had the one—if spaced properly, that is. The weight penalty should be negligible.
    I attached my ridgeline permanently to the prussicks, wanting to eliminate the need for biners or toggles. However, since weight is not a huge issue, I am re-thinking this and may try something different. I am going to try seperating the tarp, in it's snake skins, from the ridgeline. This way I can make the necessary adjustments, including adding an extension to the length if required, without having to deal with the tarp and snakeskins. Once the ridgeline is set and all the prussicks are close to where they need to be for the given circumstances, I can quickly hang the tarp and snake skins using sticks for toggles or small biners.

One thing I am thankful for, is that I had practiced setting up my hammocks and tarps many times prior to going on my 1st long (6 day) adventure. I had all the necessary pieces like extensions, and different types of stakes, and extra line for hanging wet clothes, and extra guy lines. It paid off and made my trip a lot more enjoyable. The 6 day trip offered a different challenge each night. My next major trip looks like the Yampa River next June, which could be a challenge for hammocking. Now I am ready to fine tune my setup and make it better for what works for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234