SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    i'd say grab yourself some polyester or nylon fabric and check out just jeff's page http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html ....that's where i learned to make my first hammock. i think about $20 is fair amount to spend on figuring out if it;s for you. at this juncture i actually prefer my homemade hammock over my hennessy. used live down in cody not so long ago, some good hiking there and caving. another area to lighten is to have a look in the kitchen and all the new stove options
    Last edited by Kallorne; 06-09-2010 at 10:33.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Welcome, sound advice has been given...so I'll be quiet...nah ,

The eno double is comfy, buy it if your in a rush to try a hammock. Go to the fabric store and buy netting to drape over the top (check the diy forum here for tips and plans and jj's site), buy a cheapie tarp and give the hammock camping thing a whirl. Lots of folks start like this and progress upward, some are happy with just this.

If your not in a rush, order up a nice fancy hammock with all the bells and whistles, wait impatiently on the front stoop, like so many others...(I won't mention any names)

Either way, if its not your thing, you can sell the eno here, or any other hammock, rather quickly. And not loose alot of moola.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Unlike many on this forum, I ONLY own 3 hammocks- an ENO Single, a WBBB, and a Switchback. Each has their advantages and disadvantages, but they are all good hammocks. Each one serves a particular niche for me. A suggestion, that frequently pops up, is to go to a group hang and try out different hammocks to see the different styles and features. Almost every person here would be willing, if not eager, to regale you with the details of their setup.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images
    Well, after a lot of reading, I think what I'm going to try is the Blackbird Double Layer 1.1oz (grey), and then a cheap silnylon tarp, the http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20070. Hopefully, this will enable me to test out the hang experience without breaking the bank, and offer nice upgradability in the tarp.

I was wondering if my Zlite pad and a 15degree eureka sleeping bag would offer enough warmth, though, for overnight lows probably averaging 40degrees, and potentially as low as 30. I guess I can stuff under the pad with my spare clothes if get (as Shug puts it) Cold buttocks.

Hopefully I can get these here by the 22nd. This combo will actually save me 9oz, and while it exceeds my self imposed Father's day upgrading budget by about 75$, it looks like a smart, workable way to go.

I will order these tonight, as my wife just gave me approval (I don't deserve her) unless someone has a better idea, or some other input.
    Thanks for the replies!

Sound advise has been already given so the only thing I can add is:
    Welcome to HF!

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    the great thing about the warbonnet besides the obvious is if your not happy with it or run short of family funds they sell real well if you need to take that route ever. i also started out with a eno double and jumped right to a wbbb then the whoopie sling/dutch clip conversion to save weight, great recomendations, great hammock that blackbird is!!!!
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Welcome, you will find this to be the friendliest and most amicable forum you've ever participated in. Not too long ago I asked what I thought was a rather simple question on one of the major backpacking forums concerning what everybody liked to use for a pack fishing rod and how they packed them to keep them from getting broken. I couldn't believe all the flame wars that resulted! You can ask any question here and get reasonable, experienced answers and not have to worry about getting shot down. You might get kidded a little, but all in fun. Oh wait, there was that one discussion about Crocs....

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Stahl:
    Welcome to HF from Bama. From what I have read, you will not go wrong with the WBBB. To the last question you asked........I can make no other recommendations or suggestions and yes you do deserve your wife, just remind her that this is the first step in your addiction and she is the one who authorized the purchase!!!!!!!!! Good luck in your fishing expedition, please report back on how you like the WBBB and please, we ask kindly, that pictures are included otherwise it did not happen.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

Transporting fishing rods ....

Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Not too long ago I asked what I thought was a rather simple question on one of the major backpacking forums concerning what everybody liked to use for a pack fishing rod and how they packed them to keep them from getting broken.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    ====> Well, depending on whether you like to fish with a fly rod, a spinning rod (open or closed face reel), or a baitcaster, the answers may vary. But for the DIY'er, a trip to home store for a little PVC set-up could work with all of those rod types. Either way, a rod case to protect the rod itself during transport in a car or a pack is the ticket! Reels can be packed safely many ways.

There are a few other tricks to catching fish using the natural landscape (sapling tree traps, etc) in a survival situation. But if you enjoy actually fishing, there is NO good reason not to!

I hope to do some fishing on the NY/NE Hang at Grout Pond in Vermont, and will be toting at least one rod, and maybe making/fabricating a couple more onsite there.

BTW: I am a certified Fly Casting Instructor for LL Bean's Outdoor Discovery Schools, as well as a certified Master Fishing Instructor for the State of Massachusetts Dept of Fish and Wildlife's Angler Education Programs. Anyone that makes the Vermont trip that would like a lesson - glad to!!

I am also very afraid that my virulent "R.A.S." disease (Rod Acquisition Syndrome) is going to cross pollinate to "H.A.S" (Hammock Acquisition Syndrome) pretty quickly! Already have the beginnings of "G.A.S." (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) EEP!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=Stahl;268268]Well, after a lot of reading, I think what I'm going to try is the Blackbird Double Layer 1.1oz (grey), and then a cheap silnylon tarp, the http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20070. Hopefully, this will enable me to test out the hang experience without breaking the bank, and offer nice upgradability in the tarp.

I was wondering if my Zlite pad and a 15degree eureka sleeping bag would offer enough warmth, though, for overnight lows probably averaging 40degrees, and potentially as low as 30. I guess I can stuff under the pad with my spare clothes if get (as Shug puts it) Cold buttocks.

Hopefully I can get these here by the 22nd. This combo will actually save me 9oz, and while it exceeds my self imposed Father's day upgrading budget by about 75$, it looks like a smart, workable way to go.

I will order these tonight, as my wife just gave me approval (I don't deserve her) unless someone has a better idea, or some other input.
    Thanks for the replies![/QUOTE

Good choice...I assume you're buying the Traveler. The Warbonnet netting alone will save you a half lb over the ENO. (better design too-IMO) The Warbonnet 1.1 Traveler hammock....even with the double bottom, weighs a few ozs less than the ENO double (single bottom). The double bottom Traveler will also give you more options for bottom insulation.

At only a $20 price difference...it's a no brainer.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast