diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws

hanging in the rain tonight

I bought this material at ww that I thought was waterproof and made a tarp. It was ok in a shower but leaked in a hard rain. I treated it with thompsons waterseal but it still seeped in hard sustained rain. So, I got some silicone caulking and mineral spirits and mixed them up kinda thin and painted it on with a brush. It has dried more than 24 hours. It is forcast to start raining in about an hour. The hammock is under the tarp and ready to go. I may have to walk out in the rain but I'll report back on how it works. I also have my new insultex diy underquilt with vapor barrier bottom on. It is only sposed to get down to 52 so it won't be a good test for the insultex. My poncho liner doubled is good to 48. I think the double layer insultex should be good to 40 and the combination good to 30. Gotta wait awhile to test those temps.
    More tomorrow.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Good luck Charley

Let us know how your DIY Sil tarp works out. I'll wager you got it now. Unless the previous stuff messes with the absorption.

Tell us more about your IX DIY...
    IX IS thrilling to me....
    Sad Huh?
    Hahahaha
    Tom

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    It did not rain as hard as I hoped for until after I got up. I just went out and checked and the inside of the tarp is dry. Fyi I used about 1/2 a tube of silicone caulking with about 16 ounces of mineral spirits and I think I could have used a bit more spirits. I used a paint stir stick and mixed very well but slowly. I used a 2 inch paint brush to apply the mix to the tarp while it was hanging.
    Back to the night hang. I used a diy 2 layer insultex uq with 1.1 ripstop nylon on one side and a heavier coated nylon on the other. I wanted a vapor barrier to experiment with. I woke up about 4 am. and I was a bit chilled. I was not really cold but chilled. I think it was because I got a bit damp from sweat early and got chilled later. I checked the temp and it was only 56. I think it is too warm to play with the vb. I want to try it next to the 2 layer hammock and again on the bottom at different temps to see what it does. The ix was very warm at first. I only had cotton shorts and t shirt and fleece top quilt that doesn't keep me very warm. I will wait til it gets colder to play with the ix.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Remember Charley...the Ix needs a bit of room to form...Mac puts tubes in his double layers to give separation. The IX seems to heat up nicely.It's not just IX sewn to IX.
    There's a spacing apart that IX needs
    Tom

• + New Posts