Is this Gore-Tex?

I bought some fabric on Ebay intending it for a Hammock, but I think I may have gotten more than I bargained for in a good way. I wanted supplex, because I like the feel of it, and I figured it would make a very comfortable hammock. The fabric I received does appear to be supplex, but I think its gore-tex lined supplex. There is a layer of material bonded to the back, and it certainly feels like teflon. Its said in the description that it had a white backing, but I didn't read that 'til later.

If this is gore-tex, I think I got a heck of a deal at under 6 bucks a yard shipped, but I didn't intend for my hammock to be waterproof and I almost feel like this is a waste and should be saved for a coat or something. Of course I don't know how to go about sewing this to keep the seams waterproof. Are there special techniques?

Anyway, I'm new to this gear building thing, and I was hoping for some more experienced input. I'm certainly not above sticking this in the closet for a coat until I've got more experience. BTW, he's got lots more of the stuff if anyone wants me to post the link.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    poncho, rain pants, undershield?
    I would appreciate the link...KM

PS seam sealer works for Goretex also..

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Yeah, I think I'm going to shelve this stuff for a little while a come back to it when I've got a little more experience. I've got a Carhartt coat that I'd love to duplicate in this fabric, but I think I'll get my feet wet on some less intense projects with some less valuable material.

Hammock
    hh deluxe
    Tarp
    custom 3x3 (cat)
    Insulation
    snugpak bag
    Suspension
    hh original
    Not sure it is gore-tex , under pressure gore will leak as water is forced through (experiment tried on bivi and floated on swimming pool) got something to do with hydrostatic thingys looks more like material has a lightweight Pu backing.

Whatever it is, it isn't a "coating" in that it is like a separate film that has been applied to the fabric. Texture wise it feels just like a thin version of plumbers tape, which is what led me to assume gore-tex (they are both ptfe aka teflon). I could be wrong, as I really don't know much about fabric, but I'd expect a different feel from a polyurethane - slicker and harder.

Hammock
    hh deluxe
    Tarp
    custom 3x3 (cat)
    Insulation
    snugpak bag
    Suspension
    hh original
    Sorry my bad you would be right about Pu, possibly gore is now being produced by other companies but under different names to get round patent laws if it is similar excellent find as in the UK gore or it's equivalent is fairly expensive.

• + New Posts