one of 4
    Insulation
    IX UQ or custom UQ
    Suspension
    webbing+dyneema
    Images

First hung with IX UQ in (damp) England

Hi all,
    Last weekend I had the opportunity to try out the IX UQ that MacEntyre made for me a few weeks back. We had the annual Scouts family camp in a wooded area in Surrey and I hung my hammock in the woods about 30 yrds away from the tents.
    Friday night was very damp and cold (it had been raining all day). The fog rolled in and at about 3am and I was very cold - I had to go in the tent until 6am when the sun came out. Temperature at 3am was about 11C (52F) - but it was the dampness that I couldn't stand. I used a lightweight 5C (40F) comfort temperature sleeping bag as an OQ, and I was wearing a undervest and a fleece, and a pair of track suit bottoms.

Next night I was joined by another of the dads who had a Hennessy Scout but felt a bit reluctant to hung it on the first night. Saturday was a lovely sunny, warm day so the woods were not so damp on Saturday night - the temp bottomed at 14c (58F) but I had a wonderful sleep until 8am on Sunday morning.

Lots of lessons learned - and next time it will be better! Also, lots of the dads are getting interested and the Explorer's leader is talking about a "camping without tents" events for his troupe.
    I was personally astonished by the quality of sleep I got - I know you guys talk about it, but I now *know* that sleeping in a hammock is really comfortable.

pics of my setup, with IX UQ and DIY mosquito net (that worked well). I have rolled the tarp over the ridge-line to show the setup:

(but I think that the IX UQ is not hung properly - it looks as it needs pulling up towards the shoulders a bit more)

My friend's Hennessy - it looks quite classy compared to my DIY effort :-(

both hammocks in the woods
    Last edited by seg1959; 06-14-2010 at 15:43.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Never judge the hang of an empty IX UQ. Hung properly, the edges close up when occupied.

Nonetheless, I bet you had gaps, and that is what made you cold. Sounds like you had plenty on top of you.

How many layers of IX are shown in that picture? One was probably not enough.

EDIT: looks like the IX UQ suspension to the left in the picture is leading straight up... if it is, that won't work well either.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end, Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    one of 4
    Insulation
    IX UQ or custom UQ
    Suspension
    webbing+dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Never judge the hang of an empty IX UQ. Hung properly, the edges close up when occupied.

Nonetheless, I bet you had gaps, and that is what made you cold. Sounds like you had plenty on top of you.

How many layers of IX are shown in that picture? One was probably not enough.

EDIT: looks like the IX UQ suspension to the left in the picture is leading straight up... if it is, that won't work well either.
    I was actually quite impressed with the IX UQ - for the weight, it performed very well - as a crude comparison, it kept my backside as warm as my OQ - which was about 4 times the weight and bulk.

PS. The UQ suspension goes to the hammock suspension (cannot see that in this pic). The line you see going up to the ridge line is a shock cord I put in on the second night, to keep the UQ from moving from side to side as I was moving around in the hammock.. :-) .

seg

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seg1959 View Post
    The line you see going up to the ridge line is a shock cord I put in on the second night, to keep the UQ from moving from side to side as I was moving around in the hammock.. :-)

Good rig!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Agreed, for the weight it's a nice UQ. I've had to use it in conjunction with a space blanket lately. I've been at elevations of 2-3,000 ft and the lows have been in the low 40s. Mid 50s and up it's good with no space blanket/weathershield. It's good for it's intended use as a summer quilt, but these bouts of cold weather had left me slightly ill prepared.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Nice hang! What matters is that you got it up; it stayed up, and you got a night's sleep! the 'tweaking' can come later, as experience dictates.

"Fly your own skydive." YOUR hangs will tell you what works for you, and what doesn't.

Great pics! THANKS!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    ...these bouts of cold weather had left me slightly ill prepared.
    I need to send you one IX insert.

I'll talk to Dutch about it.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    Agreed, for the weight it's a nice UQ. I've had to use it in conjunction with a space blanket lately. I've been at elevations of 2-3,000 ft and the lows have been in the low 40s. Mid 50s and up it's good with no space blanket/weathershield. It's good for it's intended use as a summer quilt, but these bouts of cold weather had left me slightly ill prepared.
    I might be having better luck with my Mac IX Asym HH underpad because of the supershelter undercover that it hangs inside. One layer with my Montbell UL SS 25 degree bag keeps me comfortable even at elevations at or above 4000 ft. Depending of course on the wind and rain and the sun and the moon and the curvature of the earth and whether I've shaved my legs or not.

• + New Posts