Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images

I'd like to know more

Good day,

Old school backpacker, used to anvilweight packing. I'm trying very hard to move to at least lightweight packing, as the years add up. I've never used a hammock, but am very interested. I've tented for years, and I just finally got sick of the hard spots, the water pooling, and generally the closed-in feeling a tent gives. I backpack to fish, primarily, although I enjoy nature and spend a few hours a day just enjoying sitting around. I like photography, although I have no skill at it, and spend some time taking pictures also.
    I backpack in Montana, close to Billings, offering me some of the most amazing fishing, hiking and camping in the world. Not that I'm biased.

I went to Base Camp today, and priced a semi-starter hammock/tarp combo.
    What I looked at was
    Eagle Nest Outfitters SingleNest Hammock
    Eagle Nest Outfitters Guardian Bug Net
    Eagle Nest Outfitters Dry Fly Rain Tarp

This would run about 190$, and weigh at 56oz total weight.
    I'd be able to drop my 59oz Trekker Tent, saving me 3oz.

I'm curious if anyone has tried these hammocks, and if so, what you thought. Also, any feedback on my newbie hammocking ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance,

Stahl

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Stahl, Welcome to HF. And howdy from a neighbor. There are lots of folks that use and really like eno hammocks, eno accessories on the other hand are not generally preferred over some of the other options available. On the bug net take a look at the traveler net from Warbonnet, it is about 1/2 the weight of the eno and lots of folks like them better for design as well. Also the Eno rain fly's are fairly small for the job, as well as heavier than other comparables available. You should be able to cut a good 1/2 pound or better out of the eno system with a few other choices.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF! Paul has given you some good advice. I have both ENO single and double nest they both give a good nights sleep. Depending on your size the double might be a better option if you go the ENO route. As it provides much more wiggle room. Unless your bug problem is severe you may be able to get away without a bug net. I sometimes just use my head net and ensure that the rest of me is covered by my top quilt. For tarps I like a larger tarp that provides room for cooking, camp chores and just plain lounging around. There are many fine options to be found in the vendors section here.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images
    Oh good! I thought that ENO bug net looked really heavy. 22oz seems darn near bulletproof. I can't see skipping bug proofing, I had to pick 4 ticks off my tender delicate flesh last weekend and that was inside a tent. Also, the skeeters tried to steal my dinner and I swear, if there'd been one more than the three who tried, they'd have gotten it. I can hear the gulping noises too, as they suck my blood.

I have a 6 day trip planned on June 22nd, so if I'm going to try hammocking (sp), I need items I can get locally or at least in good time.

I've read a lot of the profiles on this forum and MadCat appears to be one of the top tarps.. I'm not sure what I can get here by the 22cd, but I will check out the vendors. I think a bigger tarp seems like a good idea too, great to be able to cook under it. This weekend we made coffee in the rain. Packed up backpacks in the rain. Folded tents in the rain. There was a lot of rain. A tarp would have been ideal, but what we had were two tiny 1 man semi-bivy tents.

Thanks for the replies!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to the forum ... Check out the Warbonnet Blackbird if you get a chance ... something to consider ...
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images
    I've looked at it. I want it. At least, I think I do. That shelf ROCKS. The integrated bug net! The total weight savings! But doesn't he have a fairly lengthy lead time? And I've never tried hammocking, so I'm not sure I want to invest 400$ for a hammock I may not enjoy.
    Although, to be fair, I don't enjoy my tent now either. Hmmm...

I do have another question though, regarding underside insulation. At this time, all I have is a 15degree eureka sleeping bag, a 40degree knockoff bag, and a 20" wide Zlite pad. I wanted to try out hanging with the warmer bag, and the pad. Would this give me enough insulation underside to live with, say, 30degree nighttime lows?

Ooo, I was wrong, the WBBB is only $175! and only 31oz for the Blackbird Double Layer 1.1... lessee, I'd save say, 28 oz I could use for a tarp.
    Last edited by Stahl; 06-08-2010 at 21:10. Reason: I rechecked the info

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahl View Post
    I've looked at it. I want it. At least, I think I do. That shelf ROCKS. The integrated bug net! The total weight savings! But doesn't he have a fairly lengthy lead time? And I've never tried hammocking, so I'm not sure I want to invest 400$ for a hammock I may not enjoy.
    Although, to be fair, I don't enjoy my tent now either. Hmmm...

I do have another question though, regarding underside insulation. At this time, all I have is a 15degree eureka sleeping bag, a 40degree knockoff bag, and a 20" wide Zlite pad. I wanted to try out hanging with the warmer bag, and the pad. Would this give me enough insulation underside to live with, say, 30degree nighttime lows?

Ooo, I was wrong, the WBBB is only $175! and only 31oz for the Blackbird Double Layer 1.1... lessee, I'd save say, 28 oz I could use for a tarp.
    And if you get a 10-12 oz Spinn Tarp, you'll have saved a pound. Use rope suspension or whoopie slings (instead of webbing) and you'll save another 3-4 ounces.

FWIW, the Warbonnet has earned its good reputation. While it's not the only hammock on the market, it's certainly at or near the top of the heap...in my opinion!!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Welcome to the forum. I actually started out in the ENO single nest with ENO bugne and Tarp. After a year of using it I am transitioning to different equipment. I just got a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7oz double layer. I have only been able to lay in it twicce for a few hours in the yard but IMHO, it is like a palace compared to the ENO single nest. However, to each there own, I would red around on the forum, there is a wealth of info here!

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome to HF! I am new also, and this is a pretty welcoming and very knowledgeable group! I also will be using my hammock for hike-in fishing trips, primarily, in New England, New York, and the mid Atlantic states (PA, NY, NJ, VA).

I have learned a ton digging through some of the recommended sites here, and every question I have asked (even the dumb newbie ones) has been straight-up answered.

Hang here (what a great line!) with us!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBB Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Stahl,

I have an ENO Doublenest with the ENO bug net. It was my first hammock and I really like it a lot. The hammock is comfortable and the Bug Net is very effective. I also have the ENO Pro Straps (too much stretch)

After reading information on this forum, I got the bug to purchase a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer and Superfly tarp. I got both this week and I am extremely pleased with the products. The ENO was a great way for me to get started and learn what I needed and what I was looking for. However, I would have been money ahead if I had purchased my WBBB first.

This forum will be a great asset to you as you choose your new rig.
    Hammocker Prayer - "Don't every let my wife sell my hammock equipment for what I told her I paid for it."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast